Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

dreamcast private PSO server

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:20:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

in laymans terms, how does this work?

1 - is there a server out there that i can change my PSO settings and log
into?
2 - is it possible to run my own server?

3 - in either case, after the PSO setting changes, i still log onto the
internet with the same dialup numbers as before, i just connect to this
other server, instead of Sega's dead server. am i correct in this
assumption?

4 - is it possible to run servers for other online games, i.e. alien front
online or starlancer?

i have broadband for my PC and Xbox, but never got the BB adapter for the DC
and now there is very little point. i used a free local isp to dial in with
my DC when the sega servers were up and all i want to do is run a few PSO
sessions with my friends around the state.
February 14, 2005 9:16:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

As I've never managed to play PSO online I'd be very interested in this as well!
February 14, 2005 5:50:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

Benjamen Hebert wrote:
>
> in laymans terms, how does this work?
>
> 1 - is there a server out there that i can change my PSO settings and log
> into?
> 2 - is it possible to run my own server?
>
> 3 - in either case, after the PSO setting changes, i still log onto the
> internet with the same dialup numbers as before, i just connect to this
> other server, instead of Sega's dead server. am i correct in this
> assumption?
>
> 4 - is it possible to run servers for other online games, i.e. alien front
> online or starlancer?
>
> i have broadband for my PC and Xbox, but never got the BB adapter for the DC
> and now there is very little point. i used a free local isp to dial in with
> my DC when the sega servers were up and all i want to do is run a few PSO
> sessions with my friends around the state.

http://pages.globetrotter.net/ctrep/howto.html
Related resources
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:50:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

yea, i read that page. so if i read it correctly, i use the codebreaker on
my DC and it then connects properly, the codebreaker changes the server that
PSO looks for? the page is vauge. have you even done this? i am looking
for actual people that have done this, i have been looking on the net for a
while, so have seen most of the sites.

"Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:4210BAC3.BF8FC483@nospam.com...
>
>
> Benjamen Hebert wrote:
>>
>> in laymans terms, how does this work?
>>
>> 1 - is there a server out there that i can change my PSO settings and log
>> into?
>> 2 - is it possible to run my own server?
>>
>> 3 - in either case, after the PSO setting changes, i still log onto the
>> internet with the same dialup numbers as before, i just connect to this
>> other server, instead of Sega's dead server. am i correct in this
>> assumption?
>>
>> 4 - is it possible to run servers for other online games, i.e. alien
>> front
>> online or starlancer?
>>
>> i have broadband for my PC and Xbox, but never got the BB adapter for the
>> DC
>> and now there is very little point. i used a free local isp to dial in
>> with
>> my DC when the sega servers were up and all i want to do is run a few PSO
>> sessions with my friends around the state.
>
> http://pages.globetrotter.net/ctrep/howto.html
February 15, 2005 4:33:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

Benjamen Hebert wrote:
>
> yea, i read that page. so if i read it correctly, i use the codebreaker on
> my DC and it then connects properly, the codebreaker changes the server that
> PSO looks for? the page is vauge. have you even done this? i am looking
> for actual people that have done this, i have been looking on the net for a
> while, so have seen most of the sites.

I bought the Codebreaker but haven't done it yet. Have you tried the
forums on the various sites, or for DC PSO at GameFAQs?
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 4:33:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

not yet, but excellent suggestions

"Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:42115158.64F7F168@nospam.com...
>
>
> Benjamen Hebert wrote:
>>
>> yea, i read that page. so if i read it correctly, i use the codebreaker
>> on
>> my DC and it then connects properly, the codebreaker changes the server
>> that
>> PSO looks for? the page is vauge. have you even done this? i am
>> looking
>> for actual people that have done this, i have been looking on the net for
>> a
>> while, so have seen most of the sites.
>
> I bought the Codebreaker but haven't done it yet. Have you tried the
> forums on the various sites, or for DC PSO at GameFAQs?
February 17, 2005 1:13:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

"Benjamen Hebert" <vadvaro3@comcast.net> wrote

> in laymans terms, how does this work?
>
> 1 - is there a server out there that i can change my PSO settings and log
> into?

Yes, via Codebreaker I believe.

> 2 - is it possible to run my own server?

Not sure, I think the server software isn't readily available (or easy to
run on a single PC)

> 3 - in either case, after the PSO setting changes, i still log onto the
> internet with the same dialup numbers as before, i just connect to this
> other server, instead of Sega's dead server. am i correct in this
> assumption?

Yes. All you do is run codebreaker, input the codes, and these in turn
re-route PSO to the homebrew server. You still connect using whatever ISP
you used previously.

> 4 - is it possible to run servers for other online games, i.e. alien front
> online or starlancer?

No idea.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 1:13:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

what avenues are available forme to get a hld of codebreaker for the
dreamcast? i havn't been able to track it down.

"RedFox" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:37hur6F5c6r7sU1@individual.net...
> "Benjamen Hebert" <vadvaro3@comcast.net> wrote
>
>> in laymans terms, how does this work?
>>
>> 1 - is there a server out there that i can change my PSO settings and log
>> into?
>
> Yes, via Codebreaker I believe.
>
>> 2 - is it possible to run my own server?
>
> Not sure, I think the server software isn't readily available (or easy to
> run on a single PC)
>
>> 3 - in either case, after the PSO setting changes, i still log onto the
>> internet with the same dialup numbers as before, i just connect to this
>> other server, instead of Sega's dead server. am i correct in this
>> assumption?
>
> Yes. All you do is run codebreaker, input the codes, and these in turn
> re-route PSO to the homebrew server. You still connect using whatever ISP
> you used previously.
>
>> 4 - is it possible to run servers for other online games, i.e. alien
>> front online or starlancer?
>
> No idea.
>
February 17, 2005 6:46:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

Benjamen Hebert wrote:
>
> what avenues are available forme to get a hld of codebreaker for the
> dreamcast? i havn't been able to track it down.

There are three on eBay right now; search (code breaker dreamcast).

Oh, and as the OP asked about Starlancer servers: Starlancer is still
online normally. onlineconsoles.com schedules get togethers there...
February 17, 2005 6:46:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star (More info?)

> what avenues are available forme to get a hld of codebreaker for
> the dreamcast? i havn't been able to track it down.

You can find all the info you ned (including a codebreaker image,
if you look hard enough on the forums) on the Schthack server
official homepage - http://schtserv.funurl.com/

All the info you need will be there.

----------------------------------------------
Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 RC2
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
----------------------------------------------
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 6:46:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star (More info?)

In article <5IKdnZV7uM9SdInfRVn-tA@giganews.com>, Rain <Rain1@FBI.gov> wrote:
>> what avenues are available forme to get a hld of codebreaker for
>> the dreamcast? i havn't been able to track it down.
>
>You can find all the info you ned (including a codebreaker image,
>if you look hard enough on the forums) on the Schthack server
>official homepage - http://schtserv.funurl.com/
>
>All the info you need will be there.

Not to be contrary, but is the information for running your own server
still a closely guarded secret? I've wanted to fire up a server of my own
just for fun, but aside from the legal issues there isn't a really easy
way to do it without a copy of the PC version of PSO. The people who are
running maverick servers aren't much for sharing the information, and I
can't say that I blame them either.

-KKC, who can't remember if he's using his original Xbox power cord or
not.
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |
defend human freedom against al-Qaeda, a ruthless | Please don't use
terrorist organization determined to rule the world! | eBay. Ask me why.
February 18, 2005 11:43:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

"Benjamen Hebert" <vadvaro3@comcast.net> wrote

> what avenues are available forme to get a hld of codebreaker for the
> dreamcast? i havn't been able to track it down.

Well, they are not common anymore. You *could* download it from a few sites
on the web (Google for it) or if you disagree with piracy (though you can't
buy it any more and the original copyright owner won't get any profit from a
secondhand sale) you could try eBay. They turn up there sometimes.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:42:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.phantasy-star,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

YAHOO! I have PSO running on my DC again. What a treat. I must applaud
the fellow that set up this private server. Seems there is also a copy for
the PC running around rather freely, with a little looking if you are into
that kind of thing, that will link up to the same server and allow DC and PC
people to play together. Kick ass.


"Benjamen Hebert" <vadvaro3@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:242dnWAOMMXt5o3fRVn-pA@comcast.com...
> in laymans terms, how does this work?
>
> 1 - is there a server out there that i can change my PSO settings and log
> into?
> 2 - is it possible to run my own server?
>
> 3 - in either case, after the PSO setting changes, i still log onto the
> internet with the same dialup numbers as before, i just connect to this
> other server, instead of Sega's dead server. am i correct in this
> assumption?
>
> 4 - is it possible to run servers for other online games, i.e. alien front
> online or starlancer?
>
> i have broadband for my PC and Xbox, but never got the BB adapter for the
> DC and now there is very little point. i used a free local isp to dial in
> with my DC when the sega servers were up and all i want to do is run a few
> PSO sessions with my friends around the state.
>
>
>
!