Why doesn't ms-dos work for XP

May 6, 2005 8:00:03 AM

i installed windows xp on my computer, i had 98 on before. but now ms-dos
wont wrun any programs. it says that the files are unsuitabe for running
msdos and windows applications. i have tried setting it to the windows 98
msdos but this didn't help! can anyone tell me some possible solutions

More about : dos work

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 1:11:23 PM

"orrie_a" <orrie_a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i installed windows xp on my computer, i had 98 on before. but now ms-dos
> wont wrun any programs. it says that the files are unsuitabe for running
> msdos and windows applications. i have tried setting it to the windows 98
> msdos but this didn't help! can anyone tell me some possible solutions

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Some programs which ran properly under ms-dos could not do that in XP. Note that XP has no MS-DOS, it only emulates it. By the way, has you got some error message related to "autoexec.nt"?

"orrie_a" <orrie_a@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:B26E17A5-9BA0-43F7-830E-C4EF7767B1A9@microsoft.com...
>i installed windows xp on my computer, i had 98 on before. but now ms-dos
> wont wrun any programs. it says that the files are unsuitabe for running
> msdos and windows applications. i have tried setting it to the windows 98
> msdos but this didn't help! can anyone tell me some possible solutions
Related resources
May 6, 2005 7:37:54 PM

One solution would be to go back to 98

"orrie_a" <orrie_a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i installed windows xp on my computer, i had 98 on before. but now ms-dos
> wont wrun any programs. it says that the files are unsuitabe for running
> msdos and windows applications. i have tried setting it to the windows 98
> msdos but this didn't help! can anyone tell me some possible solutions
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 11:25:24 PM

orrie_a Wrote:
> i installed windows xp on my computer, i had 98 on before. but now
> ms-dos
> wont wrun any programs. it says that the files are unsuitabe for
> running
> msdos and windows applications. i have tried setting it to the windows
> 98
> msdos but this didn't help! can anyone tell me some possible solutions

partition your hard drive, 1 partition for W98 the other for WXP. in
XP, format a floppy but select "create an MS-DOS start up disk", power
off PC, then put floppy in A: , boot up, but as you boot up keep
pressing F8 key, DONT hold it down, you will then have an option to
boot from floppy, cdrom, HDD or network, use arrow keys and select
floppy, you will then be in DOS, but you can only access XP files, type
C: at the prompt. Just learnt that yesterday.
EAMONN44.

--
eamonn44
Anonymous

Windows XP doesn't have MS-DOS. There is a "DOS mode" but this is not real
MS DOS.

!