Why doesn't ms-dos work for XP

i installed windows xp on my computer, i had 98 on before. but now ms-dos
wont wrun any programs. it says that the files are unsuitabe for running
msdos and windows applications. i have tried setting it to the windows 98
msdos but this didn't help! can anyone tell me some possible solutions
5 answers Last reply
More about doesn work

    "orrie_a" <orrie_a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i installed windows xp on my computer, i had 98 on before. but now ms-dos
    > wont wrun any programs. it says that the files are unsuitabe for running
    > msdos and windows applications. i have tried setting it to the windows 98
    > msdos but this didn't help! can anyone tell me some possible solutions

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Some programs which ran properly under ms-dos could not do that in XP. Note that XP has no MS-DOS, it only emulates it. By the way, has you got some error message related to "autoexec.nt"?

    "orrie_a" <orrie_a@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:B26E17A5-9BA0-43F7-830E-C4EF7767B1A9@microsoft.com...
    >i installed windows xp on my computer, i had 98 on before. but now ms-dos
    > wont wrun any programs. it says that the files are unsuitabe for running
    > msdos and windows applications. i have tried setting it to the windows 98
    > msdos but this didn't help! can anyone tell me some possible solutions

    One solution would be to go back to 98

    orrie_a Wrote:
    > i installed windows xp on my computer, i had 98 on before. but now
    > ms-dos
    > wont wrun any programs. it says that the files are unsuitabe for
    > running
    > msdos and windows applications. i have tried setting it to the windows
    > 98
    > msdos but this didn't help! can anyone tell me some possible solutions

    partition your hard drive, 1 partition for W98 the other for WXP. in
    XP, format a floppy but select "create an MS-DOS start up disk", power
    off PC, then put floppy in A: , boot up, but as you boot up keep
    pressing F8 key, DONT hold it down, you will then have an option to
    boot from floppy, cdrom, HDD or network, use arrow keys and select
    floppy, you will then be in DOS, but you can only access XP files, type
    C: at the prompt. Just learnt that yesterday.
    EAMONN44.

    --
    eamonn44

    Windows XP doesn't have MS-DOS. There is a "DOS mode" but this is not real
    MS DOS.

    "orrie_a" <orrie_a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i installed windows xp on my computer, i had 98 on before. but now ms-dos
    > wont wrun any programs. it says that the files are unsuitabe for running
    > msdos and windows applications. i have tried setting it to the windows 98
    > msdos but this didn't help! can anyone tell me some possible solutions

MS-DOS Windows XP