First Overclocking Attempt - Need some opinions

Tigress

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Hi all, I'm lining up for a big upgrade to my PC and I plan on overclocking an e6600. I'm just hoping to get a few opinions to see that all my parts check out and look solid before I go buying them and attempting my first OC. Here is what I'm getting:

Power Supply - Link
Mobo - Link
CPU - Link
RAM - Link
Video Card - Link

I plan to follow this guide (( Link )) to get my CPU to 3.4Ghz or higher using these as cooling (( Link , Link )) Anyone see any conflicts? Questions, comments, complaints? :p

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Hi all, I'm lining up for a big upgrade to my PC and I plan on overclocking an e6600. I'm just hoping to get a few opinions to see that all my parts check out and look solid before I go buying them and attempting my first OC. Here is what I'm getting:

Power Supply - Link
Mobo - Link
CPU - Link
RAM - Link
Video Card - Link

I plan to follow this guide (( Link )) to get my CPU to 3.4Ghz or higher using these as cooling (( Link , Link )) Anyone see any conflicts? Questions, comments, complaints? :p
well as for the components part, i think you pretty much got the near-top of the line item. i'm sure it'll work off like a charm :)

however, as for the cooling, you have to beware that Thermalright's cooler are generally huge, and i mean HUGE. I once got myself a blue orb from Thermalright, but somehow my case wouldn't fit (standard size). you might have more luck with that though.

if possible, i would recommend this, or even this.

they're easier to fit inside the case. you can also consider liquid cooling if its within your budget (about 100). Liquid Cooling

some tips for you when you attempt to overclock:
1. hold everything at stock voltage, and start from there. with stock voltage, you're less likely to get exponentially increasing temperature, and its better for the components too.

2. try to OC and test for stability with your case opened. in case there's a heat buildup, open case is likely to dissipate that quicker. once you get it to stable with Prime95 or Orthos for at least 8 hours, you can close the case.

3. take it slow. increase your CPU at an increment of 100Mhz at first. you should OC an E6600 to 3.0Ghz with stock voltage. after that, slowly increase your voltage, while increase your speed by an increment of 20Mhz. (i know, i know. this way you'll take a long time, but you'll also get a more stable OC.)

Tigress

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Thank you very much for the informative response, interesting stuff and good to know, raises some questions for me though hehe. I think my case is a pretty nice size its the Lianli pc60 Link

I don't really wanna mess with liquid cooling for now, I think I'll get plenty with the cooling a chose.

Also, my case has 4 fans, think it will still be better to leave my case opened?

Another thing... what your saying conclusively is to take it slow, and increase my numbers slowly, and that'll be better for my processor, right? I'm assuming it'd be bad for it to become unstable as I overclock it.

And Prime95/Orthos... what are those? Stress test programs?

Pontiac

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Very nice system. If you ever plan on taking it up a notch as viperabyss said go with watercooling. Instead of spending 50 bucks on a mediocure fan and heatsink go with something like This.

Have fun!

Tigress

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Install finished!! RESULTS:

Well after a rocky start I got everything working, PC booted up with a fresh install of WinXP Pro, all drivers installed...

My first concern is this - In the BIOS my CPU temp is idling around 45ºC, which seems kind of high for the Heatsink I installed, no? My first thought it possibly a higher RPM fan, but if I'm to overclock I'd think I'd want that to be like... 25ºC

I ran "The Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion" with the MAX graphics and have not seen it dip bellow 25FPS... though I kinda have to admit even seeing it do that was a -little- disapointing, but I'm a perfectionist in all aspects of the word. :p

Another concern I have is the fact the I simply cannot get into "Vanguard: Saga of Heros" it just crashes right after patching and hitting the play button... this is a game I'd like to test as it gave my old PC a hard time at max settings... We'll save that for another time.

For now my biggest concern is my CPU temp... Opinions, advice and all that are greatly apreciated!