Cooling a non-OC'ed QX6700

Tedology

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and appreciate any help you may offer. :)

I just purchased a QX6700 CPU and am wondering if just the stock cooler that comes with the CPU is efficient for cooling it?

I don't plan to ever overlock it (I'm a low risk-taker! LOL) and just wanted to make sure I didn't have to go out and purchase a separate cooling fan.

And if I do, any suggestions on what I should look for? (Manufacturer, model #, etc.)?

Thanks for any and all help. It's greatly appreciated! :)
Ted

korbin44

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
You could also look at the Zalman CNPS 9700, an excellent cooler, and can be found at most local shops(Bestbuy, CompUSA, etc.). I do agree with Jack, though, an aftermarket cooler would provide much cooler temps. Especially if you have a case that isn't ventilated too well. But, if you do a decent wire job(minimize clutter in your case), you will benefit from the increased airflow and cooler temps all around. If you don't feel like dropping any more cash, I would go with the latter.

Tedology

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Thanks Korbin and Jack. :)

Much of what was said is Greek to me! ;)

My case will be an Antex 900. So, I'm hoping ventilation is going to be okay.

I checked for Jack's suggestions at Microcenter.com (where I can locally shop) and I couldn't find the Tuniq but I found something that resembled the Artic Cooler...

http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=253412

However, it doesn't seem to mention Quad Core CPUs... is that a major consideration?

Thanks for all your patience with somebody who is learning! :)

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and appreciate any help you may offer. :)

I just purchased a QX6700 CPU and am wondering if just the stock cooler that comes with the CPU is efficient for cooling it?

I don't plan to ever overlock it (I'm a low risk-taker! LOL) and just wanted to make sure I didn't have to go out and purchase a separate cooling fan.

And if I do, any suggestions on what I should look for? (Manufacturer, model #, etc.)?

Thanks for any and all help. It's greatly appreciated! :)
Ted

If you arent gonna OC get the ACF7P aka the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. DONT buy it at Newegg as its $60. Get it somewhere like xoxide.com for $30. Its very quiet and powerful, while being smaller than the big boys at half the cost. If you want even more get the Noctua NHSF12 or something like that. Expect to pay $60~65 for it. It has industy leading cooling and noise reduction capabilities.

gl

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Well since you can afford that expensive chip, you might as well get a great cooler like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.
true....

that chip costs a couple dollars more than that dream build that I almost built.

would have been less than a grand... :(.. well I saved that much then, because my dell xps works again.

just gotta upgrade its gpu.... im getting a evga 7600gt w/ vf700cu for $90 from a friend. Should be cool eh?