I7 for home use

PK2

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hello,my husband wants to buy an Intel i7 - 2600 Core i7 Processor 3.4 GHz, LGA1155, quad core, 8 threads, 8MB Cache, Intel boost tech, Integrated Graphics. We like to watch and create videos and will be using it to run a medium sized internet business. He has a price of $1289 which is more than I wanted to spend at this time. Could similar be had for less? Or should I let him buy his dream machine? Thank you for your time, PK2

Yes you can have a machine with the same specification for less (if you are in Australia or USA). I am not so sure about the pricing in other countries.

I think your husband probably went to consult with the reps of a computer company which provide computing solution for home business and get that quote, or at least, buying from the business line of product.

Computing solution for home and small business will provide better warranty and technical support so your business will not be as affected should you experience problem with your machine.

Home and consumer class computer or self build is much cheaper but will not have the same level of warranty and technical support cover and can cause major disruption to your business.

You have to balance between price and level of after sale service.

keep in mind that phone tech support could come in the form of "outsourced to india". i wouldnt pay extra for that.

as far as warranties go, sure you could go with a product like a dell but you are getting less for your money.

if you or your husband are okay with the idea of building and fixing it yourself (normally there arent many issues) then i say build your own. depending on your needs the price can drop drastically.

for instance if all you require is onboard sound and onboard video you could be looking at prices as low as $600-800. if you want an ssd to improve boot times or a few other perks you can get into such things in the $700-900 range.

$1300 will buy you top of the line parts, or higher end soundcards and video cards but for a home business that just plays some video once in awhile i dont see why its required. keep in mind that you can always add these parts at a later time if you want them.

calculations, keep in mind that the prices listed are just very generic estimates. you can most likely get parts much cheaper depending on what you buy.:

$300 i7 2600k
$200 motherboard
$100 ram
$100 psu
$100 1tb hdd

optional:
$50 sound card
$100 ssd
$200-400 mid to top tier video card.