ActiveSync and password protected proxy

August 1, 2005 11:15:13 PM

Have run into a bit of a problem, our company proxy requires authentication
to make a HTTP/S request through it. I also have PDA's that need to sync
with our exchange server which is published on the out side of our firewall.
And guess what, activeSync on the fails when the proxy return the 407
authentication error!!

Anyone know if there is a way around this?

Turning authentication on the proxy off is not an option.

Stephen
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:15:14 PM

Hi,
The Pocket PC does support username and password authentication for proxies
if they connect directly to the internet.

As for Exchange, it won't work with ActiveSync. The security is already
setup to support local certificates and sync of https and require the
username and password for Exchange to access e-mail remotely. So it's up to
the network admins to work it out.

--
Chris De Herrera
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com

"Stephen Woolhead" <stephen@perfectphase.com> wrote in message
> Have run into a bit of a problem, our company proxy requires
> authentication to make a HTTP/S request through it. I also have PDA's
> that need to sync with our exchange server which is published on the out
> side of our firewall. And guess what, activeSync on the fails when the
> proxy return the 407 authentication error!!
>
> Anyone know if there is a way around this?
>
> Turning authentication on the proxy off is not an option.
>
> Stephen

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 8:05:19 PM

What I meant is the Exchange active sync features. It talks to exchange via
HTTP/S. The authentication with the exchange server isn't an issue, but the
proxy in between requires autentication and active sync appears it can not
deal with this! This is the message I get:
---
The proxy server you have specified is incompatable with your device.
Specify the correct proxy server in your connection configuration.

Error Code: HTTP_407
---

You can surf the web fine using IE through the same proxy. What really bugs
me more than anything is this is MS Mobile talking to an MS Proxy (ISA2004)
talking to MS Exchange (2003)

Anyway, I just put a hole in the firewall for the Exchange server, but that
messes with our logging.

Stephen.

!