I think my NIC card is freezing up my PC

ImmortalDragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
My onboard ethernet port wasn't working very well lately (randomly not working at all when I turn on the PC, sometimes it would work but it would keep disconnecting and connectiong). I eventually bought a new PCI NIC, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180004

Since I've installed this I've randomly had the PC just freeze for a few seconds. I'm not doing much, I'd have Firefox, Gaim, and Thunderbird open or some combination of the 3. I never had this problem before I put in the NIC, only after.
I'm using the newest drivers and I don't know what else I can try. How can I fix this?

Apachi

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
What kind of motherboard did you have first of all?

I would try running Anti-Virus programs and Ad-aware (Spyware removal program). Since maybe this might be you're problem due to random freezing.

ImmortalDragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I bought this PC from Dell about 6 years ago, so I don't know what kind of motherboard it is. My PC is clear of spyware but I'll run a AV scan.

ImmortalDragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
could be a conflict between the onboard NIC and the new one you got. Make sure both aren't showing up.

That shouldn't matter because they would show up as different connections. They shouldn't interfere with each other. Right now the onboard is listed as LAC 1 and the PCI is LAC 2. LAC 1 is disabled through Windows currently, I did disable it through BIOs but the problem continued so I brought it back.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
could be a conflict between the onboard NIC and the new one you got. Make sure both aren't showing up.

That shouldn't matter because they would show up as different connections. They shouldn't interfere with each other. Right now the onboard is listed as LAC 1 and the PCI is LAC 2. LAC 1 is disabled through Windows currently, I did disable it through BIOs but the problem continued so I brought it back.

With hardware you never know, but I was referring to things like IRQ conflicts. The mobo may be old enough to issue an IRQ to the onboard Ethernet controller, and the NIC he has could be trying to use it too. It’s just better to disable hardware that isn't working right anyways.

I think you have a sick Windows installation.
How long have you had that Windows installation for?
Try downloading Knoppix or another Linux LiveCD. If Linux runs fine, then I would do a repair of Windows or a reinstall.

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
My laptop at work freezes sometimes, and there is nothing wrong with it. I found that if you have a drive mapped that goes via a slow connection it makes the PC practicaly unusable. As you said it just freezes. Next time it freezes check the task manager, and have a look at the memory and cpu usage.

Another thing that make the PC slow is windows update and or defender. Either of these running can slow/freeze the machine. Virus and malware scanners that run in back ground can also have this effect.

What is the processor, disk and memory in your machine?

What kind of NIC did you install?

Rob Murphy

ImmortalDragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
My laptop at work freezes sometimes, and there is nothing wrong with it. I found that if you have a drive mapped that goes via a slow connection it makes the PC practicaly unusable. As you said it just freezes. Next time it freezes check the task manager, and have a look at the memory and cpu usage.

Another thing that make the PC slow is windows update and or defender. Either of these running can slow/freeze the machine. Virus and malware scanners that run in back ground can also have this effect.

What is the processor, disk and memory in your machine?

What kind of NIC did you install?

Rob Murphy

The NIC I installed is in the first post (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180004). I run Windows 2000 on a P4 1.5Ghz, 40gb WD 7200rpm, and 256mb RDRAM. I don't use Windows defender, Microsoft Update just kills my PC so I've disabled it completely. I don't have any viruses or spy/malware.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sounds like a bad NIC. Honestly, with some things (like NICs), I stick with the name brands (Intel, 3Com, Broadcom). For some reason I have terrible luck with the Yukon Marvel cards, so I avoid them.

ImmortalDragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Is the new nic windows 2000 compatible?
Its highly unlikely the nic itself is freezing your computer.
Why do you say that your onboard wasnt working very well. What does that mean, you were already having some kind of problems?
What have you run that makes you think you have no spyware?
Most likely you have a driver/hardware conflict thats easily fixed if you know how.
Always disable anything your not using in your bios.

Like 30% of the time I turned on my PC, my onboard ethernet would not load properly. It wouldn't show up under network connections and device manager would show it with an error saying it did not start properly. But after restarting (sometimes I'd have to restart twice) it would finally start. I ignored the problem at this point until the ethernet connection would continually disconnect and connect while I was working online. Thats when I just gave up and bought the PCI NIC.
I run Spybot, Spyware blaster, and adaware. I also use Firefox with adblock, I know what I'm doing when it comes to spyware.

Sounds like a bad NIC. Honestly, with some things (like NICs), I stick with the name brands (Intel, 3Com, Broadcom). For some reason I have terrible luck with the Yukon Marvel cards, so I avoid them.

Yea I'm going to do that next time.

f61

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Sorry for draggin the post back, but I've not heard about progress.

In fact a bad card is possible, but so it a twitchy connecting cable. I note its std. 10/100. And worst of all since the problem forced you into an add-on, its just as likely that a MoBo prob exists.

On start-up, whats you're resources % look like? It shouldn't be under 75% unless something is bogging you down.

Just a thought.

f61

ImmortalDragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Sorry for draggin the post back, but I've not heard about progress.

In fact a bad card is possible, but so it a twitchy connecting cable. I note its std. 10/100. And worst of all since the problem forced you into an add-on, its just as likely that a MoBo prob exists.

On start-up, whats you're resources % look like? It shouldn't be under 75% unless something is bogging you down.

Just a thought.

f61

I've built a new PC (not related to this issue, I was long overdue for a new PC) so I haven't used that PC much now. The cable is fine, I'm using the same cable for this PC and have had no issues. I'm going to reformat that PC and I'll see if it continues.

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
The NIC I installed is in the first post (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180004). I run Windows 2000 on a P4 1.5Ghz, 40gb WD 7200rpm, and 256mb RDRAM. I don't use Windows defender, Microsoft Update just kills my PC so I've disabled it completely. I don't have any viruses or spy/malware.

no offense but that is a "suspect" at best NIC, Personally (based on bad experiences ) stay well the heck away from realtek NIC cards

besides the obvious 3com and Intel I have used a large number of Linksys LNE 100TXs and Netgear FA311s for myself and clients without complaints (however in fairness 1 of like 50-60 ? FA311s failed on me awhile ago..it was like 4 or 5 years old however).

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
the nics chipset is a realtek one realtek are reliable enough to stick on a mobo as integrated (like 50% of integrated nics are realtek and 90% of integrated audio is realtek) so i don't personally think it is the card, i think it is the mobo, there is already problems with it so what are the chances of it having other problems?

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
If you suspect the card why not unplug it for a while to test or trying to change the PCI slot it's in (If it's an option). I haven't had any problem with NIC yet but with internal dial-up modem cards (twice or thrice upon times) there were.

vbot

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Posted years later, but if you suspect the OS, you have many options. Try booting to a USB linux drive to rule out the OS. I've got the same problem, but it only happens once I heat up the throughput on the card.