Vista sharing system memory for graphics?? - 7900GTX

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Hi all. I noticed that Vista is sharing 512MB of system memory for graphics, which gives me a total of 1GB graphics memory. Why is it doing this? I already have a 512MB card, i don't need to share system memory. How can i turn this off?

Also (a bit off the topic), why is CPU-Z 1.4 showing that my CPU is running at a 6x multiplier when EIST is disabled in my BIOS and I've OC'd my CPU to 2.66GHz with a 8x multiplier (333MHz x 8 )?

I'm guessing here, but I believe this so-called "shared system memory" is similar to the "AGP Aperature Size" setting in the BIOS. Windows is not using that 512MB for video, it is merely allocating the memory for use if it is needed. If it's not needed for video, then it is free for other programs to use.

As for your CPU-Z issue... not sure what's going on there.

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Hmm... OK, as far as i know, you cant set aperture sizes with PCI-express. Also, there isnt any feature like that in the BIOS. But you are correct in saying that windows will only consume that extra memory if it needs it.

fructinhit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
For your CPU-Z issue, I had the same thing in that my multiplier was set at 8x in the bios but only showed as 6x in CPU-Z. But once I opened a program or something to kick the processor in action, it would then show 8x (along with the speed of my cpu at full frequency). Hope this helps!