Which to get : Plasma EDTV or RP HDTV ?

Hi. For roughly the same amount of money, I can get a plasma EDTV or a rear
projection HDTV (DLP or LCD). I would appreciate any comments on pros and
cons, to help make a selection.

Due to space restrictions, I am limited to ~42" screen size. The sets I have
seen run about $2500 to $3000. In the past, I have had good luck with
products from Sony and Panasonic. Any other vendors to consider ?

I plan to upgrade to HD on Time-Warner cable.

Thanx....don
6 answers Last reply
More about which plasma edtv hdtv

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:16:27 +0000, DonS wrote:

    Take a look at front projection DLP if it will fit.
    And its easy to move since the whole affair weighs
    only 10-15 pounds.

    The projection screen can be on a wall or flip down from ceiling.

    > Hi. For roughly the same amount of money, I can get a plasma EDTV or a
    > rear projection HDTV (DLP or LCD). I would appreciate any comments on
    > pros and cons, to help make a selection.
    >
    > Due to space restrictions, I am limited to ~42" screen size. The sets I
    > have seen run about $2500 to $3000. In the past, I have had good luck
    > with products from Sony and Panasonic. Any other vendors to consider ?
    >
    > I plan to upgrade to HD on Time-Warner cable.
    >
    > Thanx....don

    I'm pretty much happy with my 42" WEGA. SD isn't the best but is better
    that the SD on the Philipps 37" I had and took back. HD is super.

    Jim (Never was a Sony fan before this)

    "DonS" <Don_Shoemaker@HotMail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. For roughly the same amount of money, I can get a plasma EDTV or a
    > rear
    > projection HDTV (DLP or LCD). I would appreciate any comments on pros and
    > cons, to help make a selection.
    >
    > Due to space restrictions, I am limited to ~42" screen size. The sets I
    > have
    > seen run about $2500 to $3000. In the past, I have had good luck with
    > products from Sony and Panasonic. Any other vendors to consider ?
    >
    > I plan to upgrade to HD on Time-Warner cable.
    >
    > Thanx....don

    I really like my Sony Grand Wega 50" which also comes in a 42" set. It has
    an HDTV tuner built-in. I used to think that a separate tuner was the way
    to go, but I am convinced now that an integrated tuner is much more
    practical. It is simpler to use since it is part of the TV. The cablecard
    which I do not have yet also eliminates the need for a cable set top box for
    premium content. My Wega is able to pull the local broadcast HD channels
    from Time Warner Cable without a cablecard or set top box. An HD tuner on
    my other set was not able to do that.

    Jeff

    "DonS" <Don_Shoemaker@HotMail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. For roughly the same amount of money, I can get a plasma EDTV or a
    > rear
    > projection HDTV (DLP or LCD). I would appreciate any comments on pros and
    > cons, to help make a selection.
    >
    > Due to space restrictions, I am limited to ~42" screen size. The sets I
    > have
    > seen run about $2500 to $3000. In the past, I have had good luck with
    > products from Sony and Panasonic. Any other vendors to consider ?
    >
    > I plan to upgrade to HD on Time-Warner cable.
    >
    > Thanx....don

    I think once you look at a show in HD, you will lose all interest in EDTV.
    We have a Sony KDF-60XS955, (LCD RPTV) for which we haggled our way down to
    $3250. You can certainly find one for a few hundred more than that, without
    too much trouble. Would I trade our set for a 480p EDTV at ANY reduced
    price? Not a chance! I would go down to the 50 or 55-inch size to save
    money on the HDTV before I would consider and EDTV. Forget EDTV unless
    you're buying a really small screen size.

    mack
    austin

    "Chris Berry" <crb@crbr6.reactor.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:16:27 +0000, DonS wrote:
    >
    > Take a look at front projection DLP if it will fit.
    > And its easy to move since the whole affair weighs
    > only 10-15 pounds.
    >
    > The projection screen can be on a wall or flip down from ceiling.
    >

    >> Hi. For roughly the same amount of money, I can get a plasma EDTV or a
    >> rear projection HDTV (DLP or LCD). I would appreciate any comments on
    >> pros and cons, to help make a selection.
    >>
    >> Due to space restrictions, I am limited to ~42" screen size. The sets I
    >> have seen run about $2500 to $3000. In the past, I have had good luck
    >> with products from Sony and Panasonic. Any other vendors to consider ?
    >>
    >> I plan to upgrade to HD on Time-Warner cable.
    >>
    >> Thanx....don

    >Hi. For roughly the same amount of money, I can get a plasma EDTV or a rear
    >projection HDTV (DLP or LCD). I would appreciate any comments on pros and
    >cons, to help make a selection.

    Many people find that a 42" ED plasma, viewed at 8' or greater, has the same
    picture quality as an HD plasma. I have both an ED & an HD plasma and virtually
    everyone I've shown both to, can not believe the ED panel, when viewed at 8',
    is not a true HD display when displaying HD material. View a properly adjusted
    ED plasma, preferably a Panasonic or Fujitsu, from 8' and compare it to an HD
    plasma at the same distance. Make the comparison yourself and see if you agree.

    Totally agree.

    Make the decision yourself.

    Love the thinness of plasma myself. Esp. wall mount.

    Hate the box in the room.

    Dell has some really nice deals on its HD plasma which might put it
    in your range. Costco has a couple of 42" HD plasmas in the low 2K range.
    Also the 42 panasonic Industrial HD comes much recommended
    and it should be at the upper end of your range online.

    "Vidguy7" <vidguy7@aol.com> wrote in message
    > >Hi. For roughly the same amount of money, I can get a plasma EDTV or a
    rear
    > >projection HDTV (DLP or LCD). I would appreciate any comments on pros
    and
    > >cons, to help make a selection.
    >
    > Many people find that a 42" ED plasma, viewed at 8' or greater, has the
    same
    > picture quality as an HD plasma. I have both an ED & an HD plasma and
    virtually
    > everyone I've shown both to, can not believe the ED panel, when viewed at
    8',
    > is not a true HD display when displaying HD material. View a properly
    adjusted
    > ED plasma, preferably a Panasonic or Fujitsu, from 8' and compare it to an
    HD
    > plasma at the same distance. Make the comparison yourself and see if you
    agree.

HDTV Home Theatre