Sign in with
Your question

I need a security camera with an IP address

Last response: in Overclocking
May 6, 2007 7:04:26 AM

Need some links or help. I want to set up a security camera at my business and have a way of giving the camera an IP address so I can keep my property under my surveillance while I'm at home or at a second office. I have seen something like this at Fry's Electronics a year ago (in the security systems/camera section), but it was expensive and I forgot what it was called. I went there today and Fry's didn't have the system anymore. Can anyone direct me in the right direction?
May 6, 2007 8:30:15 AM

Quote:
About your best option would be to get a security system that your work PC monitors and records. Then using remote access softare you can plug into your work system from home and monitor the area.

My friend, a maintenabce man who does a little of everything for a living, and I installed our cameras. The police department loves my system. The have set there all night doing stings watching my video cameras. I use two VHS 30 hour recorders with 4 screen splitters (7 cameras). So my security camera system is a homenade thing that has literally put probably a dozen people in jail! I can't really hook it to my computer like a modern system. The police currently have great software to blow up images from my video tape. Forensics was out last week. Again. They love us! You get a guys face on a camera alng with a fingerprint and he's dead meat! LOL!

I just want to set up one Camera for now with an IP address so I can watch my Parking lot from home. I may be missing a party!
May 6, 2007 9:07:28 AM

I think this is what I want to try. The camera I saw last year at Fry's was similar to this, but I believe this may be a more refined setup. Yeah, generally IR will allow clarity in the dark up to 20 to 30 feet. It makes a difference. We have good lighting. The problem for me is hiding something this big and nice. Two nights ago a gang managed to get on my roof and knock out my lights and tear down four of my cameras. So $250 is a lot to loose like that. I think I will try this D Link. I want to access the possibilities of where to mount it so they can't get it. I have a good idea now. Thank you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
May 6, 2007 9:24:32 AM

Last year when I started researching this I saw the Apollo on newegg and thought about trying it. I din't see the D Link Internet camera though. We had to take plastic electric socket boxes (fit in the hole in the wall where your electric wall recipticle fit into your wall) and cut them out and mount them to cover the cameras. It worked great until they got on the roof and got their hands on them. I bought four new cameras today at Fry's. Some smaller versions than I had before. The camera has to be within 10 to 15 feet to get a really good picture of a face. Reading a car license plate in a parking lot from the roof requires an expensive camera. A lot of time the police recognize these peopel because they have arrested them before. Not the guy who crawled under the building last week and stole 90 feet of copper pipe!

Even when these cheaper cameras say weather proof, I wouldn't recommend putiing it where the rain hits directly on it. A little moisture is ok, not direct rain. It will atke several days for the inside to dry out.

I think I may get that D Link Internet camera and give it try. Maybe nxt week if I can get the four cameras I bought today installed and have time. That appollo PCI card is something I'm going to think about. The police want VHS tapes because of their software. Last time I talked to the detective assigned to the latest round He had not yet seen the tape of the guy standing 5 feet in front of my camera with my copper pipe. He hadn't heard from forensics. They were working on the knife He dropped in the darkness and his fingerprints He left all over.
May 6, 2007 9:35:07 AM

Stalin would've been soooo proud....
May 6, 2007 9:37:15 AM

Yeah, I bought the Swann spy cam today. One of those and three of their bullet cams. The spy cam came with a wide angle adapter. You really have to get their face withing 15 or 20 feet to get a good description. Like the guy who pulled up in the next door parking lot one Friday evening and pulled my plastic rain gutters (down spouts) and loaded them up to sell for $5 as plastic recycled material. We got him good. He still owes us a hundred buccks (court ordered), but He's in jail on other charges and can't pay. We'll have him locked up if he don't pay us. Now or city is beseiged by this copper pipe thief. It's all over the news. The police were delighted when they saw his face on our cameras!
May 6, 2007 9:38:49 AM

Quote:

It's his workers who have the pride today.
May 6, 2007 9:40:19 AM

BTW...what do you do for your community that makes you so much better than me?
May 6, 2007 9:51:51 AM

I don't kill people. Aussies aren't allowed, by nature or nurture, to kill Aussies.

Not being able to have a gun at all, unless it is in a safe at the local range might also be a deterrance.

Given the alternatives, I prefer this one.
May 6, 2007 10:09:33 AM

Quote:
I don't kill people. Aussies aren't allowed, by nature or nurture, to kill Aussies.

Not being able to have a gun at all, unless it is in a safe at the local range might also be a deterrance.

Given the alternatives, I prefer this one.

Next door to my business is an Accountant. He is from New Zealand, born and raised there. He saw the guy who crawled under my building and committed felony burglary. He thought it was my lawn people in the driveway with their truck. Broad daylight. I've talked a lot with him about New Zealand. He's from a town of 20 thousand where the schoolnmaster had a cane and rapped you a good one if you got out of line. It not the gun that kills people, it's the person using it. If guns in the hands of good people are anything, they are a deterrant to social devients. Concealed weapons are illegal in this country. The criminals I see have more rights than their victims. Harsher punishment for crime is the only solution. If harsher sentences stop 50% of criminals from doing a crime again the system works. I bet Australian society looks at Americans and wonders how we manage to get anything done as a society. It's my sense of civic pride and my need for watching another interview with Elle McPherson that makes me better.
May 6, 2007 10:14:41 AM

Huh???

Please have the kiwi pm me, so I can get a proper accounting.
May 6, 2007 10:22:55 AM

Quote:
Huh???

Come on. Stop the virgin Ausssie play. You know you guys have hid under the skirts over there for the past 250 years. You guys want a piece, but it's too cushy under there. Did you guys even have a civil war? LOL! The rest of the world has left you behind. Like 600 years ago.
May 6, 2007 10:26:50 AM

If guns were illegal, the bad guys would have illegal guns. There was a thing called prohibition. There was more liquor and gangsters running arround wth more liquor than when it was legal. Liquor was like gold and had to be protected. If guns were illegal, same thing. You will never get rid of guns. Even if guns were illegal. Won't work like that. Punishment for the crime is the solution, and even then...well you just can't deter some people.
May 6, 2007 10:34:02 AM

You are not a Kiwi, nor an Aus, therefore not to be trusted. Please have the Kiwi PM me.
May 6, 2007 10:34:47 AM

Quote:
You are not a Kiwi, nor an Aus, therefore not to be trusted. Please have the Kiwi PM me.

You know my first wife.
May 6, 2007 10:41:26 AM

I wasn't aware you had a wife. If it ended badly, then.... Sorry.
May 6, 2007 10:45:18 AM

Quote:
I wasn't aware you had a wife. If it ended badly, then.... Sorry.

You don't trust me, I'm an American not an Aussie...not to be trusted American. My first wife didn't trust me. Did you know her. I mean did she know you? Did you know each other? It's was a joke. I didn't have a first wife. I ran around with hookers until I was 35. My friends hooker girlfriend at that. I'm kidding. Kind of.
May 6, 2007 10:52:31 AM

Thanks for the helpful input about Stalin and his workers.
May 6, 2007 11:08:34 AM

''Its not the gun that kills people, it's the person using it.''

no shít buddy but i rather prefer a psycho with a knife than a machine gun atleast he cant kill 15 people with a knife.

a gun is much more dangerous than a knife you know.. im glad about the laws in my country where u cant just walk into a shop and buy a gun, if we could do that we would see much more innocent people getting killed.
May 6, 2007 3:28:45 PM

double post
May 6, 2007 3:29:51 PM

Quote:
no shít buddy but i rather prefer a psycho with a knife than a machine gun atleast he cant kill 15 people with a knife.

You think so small. Croc is the one concerned about guns when He thinks of someone breaking the law. He brought it up.

Quote:
a gun is much more dangerous than a knife you know..

A gun is no more dangerous than you being drunk and driving your car. Being killed by a gun, a knife or a car all result in the same thing, your death.

Quote:
im glad about the laws in my country where u cant just walk into a shop and buy a gun

You live in a country where even your military isn't armed. If your country needs protection just come to us, OK.

Quote:
if we could do that we would see much more innocent people getting killed.[

I think it's innocense you are defending, not the fact that some people have guns and don't shoot people with them.
May 6, 2007 3:31:28 PM

Quote:
Difference there is that with prohibition everyone had access to the ingredients and stuff needed to produce more liquor. Not that I want guns banned but if they where then eventually ammo would run out and guns would be found and destroyed. Not much use if you don't have the ammo. But guns will never and should never be taken from the American people. As mentioned it's the people behind the gun. So I blame parents more then anything for not being more involved with their kids and identifying there special needs. If society put more infuses on the family. Meaning having both a mother and a father taking an active role in their children’s life. Then we would see a lot less crime and hate in this world. Most of these criminal activities start at the teen years and caries over into adulthood. These kids never learn how to become an active member of society. They never really grow up. All this fosters more problems down the road because these people end up having kids and teach there kids the wrong things either by actively teaching them these bad behaviors or through there example. Oh well enough of that.

Amen.
May 7, 2007 12:24:54 AM

Quote:

You think so small. Croc is the one concerned about guns when He thinks of someone breaking the law. He brought it up.

Quote:
a gun is much more dangerous than a knife you know..

A gun is no more dangerous than you being drunk and driving your car. Being killed by a gun, a knife or a car all result in the same thing, your death.

Quote:
im glad about the laws in my country where u cant just walk into a shop and buy a gun

You live in a country where even your military isn't armed. If your country needs protection just come to us, OK.

Quote:
if we could do that we would see much more innocent people getting killed.[

I think it's innocense you are defending, not the fact that some people have guns and don't shoot people with them.

i think small? wtf

so a knife is no more dangerous than a gun? i really want to see that psycho on virginia tech kill 32 people with a knife.

haha we r 5 mil not 300 mil like your country and we still got better tanks than u do .. anyways if our country would get attacked there is a thing called NATO :roll: so who cares. btw the coldwar is gone so dont get worried

well this isnt 1890 anymore so i cant see what the guns r for but i also know there is so many guns in the US that it doesnt matter taking em away

anyway lets keep this simple. what do a normal person in the US need a machine gun for? i mean u dont go hunting with a full automatic rifle do u? and if its just for fun having a auto rifle i think its a big risk
May 7, 2007 1:35:52 AM

Quote:
think small? wtf

You should read the thread and think about it before you post. You obviously know nothing about guns or the United States, so yeah wtf? STFU. Your slurs towards America and Americans show what a efing sh;thead of person your are. You are a shithead. Same for the rest of your brown pants countrymen. Go find an Australian website and shIt on somebody else. Check the NATO website and see if you and any of your other 5 million residents can get taken on as kitchen help. Stay on topic or get off the forum. You have nothing useful to add. Stop Efing with the threads and keep your efing assh;le opinions to yourself.
May 7, 2007 1:41:08 AM

double post
May 7, 2007 1:41:27 AM

Thanks again Mplitchfamily. I ordered this Internet camera. Maybe I'll have time to install it Thursday. Hey I'll post a link to my new camera. You and Croc and his Aussie buddies can see what America is really like! :lol: 

I'll let you know how the camera performs.

May 8, 2007 8:35:33 AM

Quote:
think small? wtf

You should read the thread and think about it before you post. You obviously know nothing about guns or the United States, so yeah wtf? STFU. Your slurs towards America and Americans show what a efing sh;thead of person your are. You are a shithead. Same for the rest of your brown pants countrymen. Go find an Australian website and **** on somebody else. Check the NATO website and see if you and any of your other 5 million residents can get taken on as kitchen help. Stay on topic or get off the forum. You have nothing useful to add. Stop Efing with the threads and keep your efing assh;le opinions to yourself.

i actually did but u seem not 2 understand anything in ur small minded world but i guess i cant blame u for that mr redneck.

why am i a shíthead? because i dont think a sick person should be able 2 buy a full auto rifle and shoot 32 people?

well i wasnt the one getting off topic from start, i believe u can take all the blame for that.

anyway im out :wink: u really sound like a guy who need some counseling for your hostileness
May 8, 2007 1:43:57 PM

Quote:
i actually did but u seem not 2 understand anything in ur small minded world but i guess i cant blame u for that mr redneck.

EF you moron go away and die. Stop trolling on the forum popping in and sh;tting all over yourself. Take your opinions and go Ef your counryman in the arse. Ef you.

Quote:
why am i a shíthead?

Why do bear sh;t in the woods?

Quote:
because i dont think a sick person should be able 2 buy a full auto rifle and shoot 32 people?

Ef you. Stop trolling the threads. To answer your question, STFU.

Quote:
well i wasnt the one getting off topic from start, i believe u can take all the blame for that.

I am the OP...you efing tard trolling m'fer.

Quote:
anyway im out :wink:

Ef You you have the mind of 3 year old.

Quote:
u really sound like a guy who need some counseling for your hostileness
[/quote]

EF you and family, you Efing turd
May 8, 2007 3:00:36 PM

Quote:
Here is everything you will need.

Outdoor camera enclosure:

Internet Camera:

Now the major draw back to this is the lack of IR. Now there are other more high end options like these.

http://surveillance-video.com/vidtranovin.html

All can be monitored from online.

I installed four new cameras yesterday. I called newegg and cancelled my order for the D Link camera we were talking about in your post. I decided to go wireless with the Internet Camera. What do you think about something like this. I have a feeling the picture quality is not up to par. I'd like a better quality picture than this one has to offer. Any suggestions appreciated. I will go to Fry's today and look around some more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
May 8, 2007 4:46:25 PM

I just got off the phone with the detective. We talked about cameras and picture quality. I told him I was going to buy an internet camera. He said it was an excellent ide, internet cameras work great for monitoting a business. The four new cameras we installed yesterday will have to be better secured. A bolt down heavy metal cage with good quality non breakable glass like those used in the prision system is his suggestion. Good news. I recognized one of the guys who did this this time. They are on it. This kind of investigation takes time. We are waiting for fingerprints and DNA for both the cases. Stealing the cameras and stealing the copper pipe from our business. I'm looking for a good quality wireless Internet camera. Headed over to Fry's now. I don't want to speend over 250 or so. That cameraa you suggested had a zoom lens and was a very good camera. I cancelled my order when I decide to go with wireless.
May 8, 2007 6:49:57 PM

Quote:

EF you moron go away and die. Stop trolling on the forum popping in and sh;tting all over yourself. Take your opinions and go Ef your counryman in the arse. Ef you.

Quote:
why am i a shíthead?

Why do bear sh;t in the woods?

Quote:
because i dont think a sick person should be able 2 buy a full auto rifle and shoot 32 people?

Ef you. Stop trolling the threads. To answer your question, STFU.

Quote:

I am the OP...you efing tard trolling m'fer.

Quote:
anyway im out :wink:

Ef You you have the mind of 3 year old.

Quote:
u really sound like a guy who need some counseling for your hostileness

EF you and family, you Efing turd[/quote]

look how u write like a 13 year old being aggresive on steroids <3 cute now i understand why those kids screw ur store up :roll:
May 8, 2007 7:41:29 PM

Quote:
look how u write like a 13 year old being aggresive on steroids <3 cute now i understand why those kids screw ur store up

Look Nimrod. I have reported you for your insistence to troll my thread. I have pointed out many instances of your language and stupidity on this forum. If you don't have anything worthwhile and helpful for the people here, STFU. U NoT OnlY WrITe LiKE a eFinG tWo YeaR oLd, YOu ThINK LiKE ONe.

You and your buddy Croc are the ones who are calling me, America and Americans communists. Read the thread sh;thead. I have never exchanged messages with someone as totally worthless as you. I look down on all Australians because of you being such na POS. Out of the clear blue Croc says:

Quote:

Then, being the thoughtless person He is, He says out of the clear blue (no one had mentioned a gun to this point)

Quote:

The topic is not about guns and what your opions are or what you think about guns or the fact that your countrymen think I and America are worse than Stalin. You are better than our country? Ef you. Guns and what you think of guns are not the the topic you POS. Climb down from your mount atop your sibling over in Croc land and STFU.

Why don't you go sue somebody. That seems to be what Australia and Aistralians are all about. Just get the Ef off the thread and sh;t on someone else. You are the epitomy of what is wrong with humanity. You are a waste product of it. Ef you.
May 9, 2007 5:52:34 AM

yea report me but first take a look at urself from the start. if u look in the thread the bad words come from you in the start calling me a kid and to stfu and a brown pants thingy? i dont know what it is but it sounds funny.

I think like a 2 year old because i say guns r bad? ok.

i have no idea who croc is anyway and i havent called america anything and specially not communists!. i said guns r not a good thing and u attack me like a beast. Well keep looking down on australians because australia is on the other side of the globe for me.

i know the topic wasnt about guns but you croc and mpilchfamily wasnt talking about hardware there were u? no.

i never said i was better than your country i just pointed out that guns isnt the best thing on earth but its clearly u think otherways.

look at yourself
''You are the epitomy of what is wrong with humanity. You are a waste product of it. Ef you''
you also startet calling me a shíthead and a asshóle in the start for no reason.
everyone who read this thread can see that and the admins will also. do you really think u will get nice answers back when you talk to people like that?

see your first post to me
''You live in a country where even your military isn't armed. If your country needs protection just come to us, OK.''
there u start being a prick already.
May 9, 2007 6:00:56 AM

Quote:
yea report me but first take a look at urself from the start. if u look in the thread the bad words come from you in the start calling me a kid and to stfu and a brown pants thingy? i dont know what it is but it sounds funny.

I think like a 2 year old because i say guns r bad? ok.

i have no idea who croc is anyway and i havent called america anything and specially not communists!. i said guns r not a good thing and u attack me like a beast. Well keep looking down on australians because australia is on the other side of the globe for me.

i know the topic wasnt about guns but you croc and mpilchfamily wasnt talking about hardware there were u? no.

i never said i was better than your country i just pointed out that guns isnt the best thing on earth but its clearly u think otherways.

look at yourself
''You are the epitomy of what is wrong with humanity. You are a waste product of it. Ef you''
you also startet calling me a shíthead and a asshóle in the start for no reason.
everyone who read this thread can see that and the admins will also. do you really think u will get nice answers back when you talk to people like that?

see your first post to me
''You live in a country where even your military isn't armed. If your country needs protection just come to us, OK.''
there u start being a prick already.

Just STFU.
May 9, 2007 6:18:17 AM

reported.

/out
May 9, 2007 6:21:37 AM

Quote:
reported.

/out

Bye Pencildick.
!