Newbie Builder: Need Recommendations/Opinions of Setup

Ausxor

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Hi, I'm new to custom building PCs and have had a lot of trouble picking out a suitable motherboard and PSU. My specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel E6600
GPU: ECS NVidia 8600GTS
MONITOR: 19” Proview FV926
POWER SUPPLY: SHAW 550W
MEMORY: 1 GIG KIT (GIGABYTE)
HDD: Seagate 8M IDE 160G
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5B
This setup will cost me AU$1382 (with dvd player etc. not listed above). My budget is $1500, my main concern is that the power supply is cheap and low quality and the motherboard might be the same.
1. Can anybody vouch for the motherboard and PSU in terms of quality? I have researched the SHAW 550W PSU and it has received some pretty low reviews, and a few people called it a POS and claimed it blows up.
2. Is it worth degrading some of the parts (I.e. CPU from E6600 to E6420) to improve the motherboard and PSU?
3. Do you recommend buying a case with PSU included, or buy them separately? Is their any difference?
4. The images below are the motherboards and PSU's (respectively) available to me. If anyone can make a recommendation on a more suitable choice for both it would be greatly appreciated.
Motherboards.jpg
PSU.jpg

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
The MB is good, the PSU is not. Here is the list of PSU in Aus
PSU Reference List (AUS)
Yes, go with the 6420 and get better parts for rest of system.
Usually better to buy a seperate PSU, that way you know what it is rated at.
THe Antec is a good MB, good value. The gigabyte DS3 is also good.

akhilles

Splendid
Not long ago I helped an Aussie out building his pc. He linked me to a price list similiar to yours. Maybe you can search for my username & dig up those posts.

If you're overclocking, dump that p5b. Get at least p5b-e or best p5b deluxe. If price is an issue, the DS3 is a good bargain. The Pro is not worht it IMO. DS3 per se is good enough & better than S3 in terms of quality.

The only psu I'd touch on your list is the OCZ any wattage. If you can't afford that, Antec NeoHe 500w would be a good start. it won't last very long before you upgrade psu if you do SLI, which I doubt you will. The p965 can't do sli officially.

In sum, dump the psu & mobo. Get what I suggested.

I didn't know Gigabyte made ram. Thought they did only mobos, videos & cases.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
A few things. How does your 8600 compare to the 8800GTS 320 in terms of price? If you can get the 88 for just a little more, go for it, it will far outperform the 86. I agree that the OCZ or Antec would be a far better PSU. The P5B vanilla is worthless for overclocking. The Deluxe is superb. The DS3 would be a good choice also.

As far as degrading, yes, generally it would be worth it if you plan on overclocking. The 4400 is great in the price/performance curve. You should be able to get it pretty cheap down there. Of course, to support an OC, you'll need a good CPU cooler, which will run you between 75-125AU.

TRENDING THREADS