Sign in with
Your question

First System Build - Advice needed

Last response: in Systems
May 6, 2007 2:37:30 PM

Hi guys, I have recently bought the components for my first system. I need some advice about my choice of motherboard especially.

MOBO: XFX nForce 680i LT

CPU: E6600

GFX: BFG 8800GTS OC

CASE: NZXT Lexa

PSU: Antec TruePower Trio 650W (may have to replace with a HIPER 730 as not in stock)

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T 500GB

DVD: Samsung 18x DVD±R/±RW Lightscribe

There are a few other bits and bobs like wifi adapters etc but I have left those out. My main concern is if the mobo gives me a suitable upgrade path (ideally to Penryn and probably SLI as an option to keep open). I could buy the ASUS P5K DDR2 Edition mobo with wi-fi enabled so I am wavering right now.

Also I have to buy an OS. I am thinking about an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I know some of the driver support is patchy but it seems to me that it is a question of time before it gets up to speed.

Can anyone (who knows better than me - I am a noob with zero experience of system building, but think it would be way better in the long run to learn how to make a system) please comment or provide suggestions?
May 6, 2007 2:40:35 PM

First off what are you planning to do with this system? OC? Gaming?

Second what is you're budget on this build?
May 6, 2007 4:14:50 PM

System is primarily for gaming. Also will use it for general home stuff probably. Budget is about £1k.
Related resources
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2007 4:25:55 PM

I am tempted to say that a 680i may not be a good choice for a first time builder. There are a LOT of settings in the BIOS - at least on the eVGA board.

If you are building it for gaming, you will probably want to overclock. If so, look for a general overclocking guide. Then look specifically for a 680i overclocking guide. This will save you a lot of time. Don't ask me how I know this. :) 
May 6, 2007 4:53:37 PM

Well since you're going for gaming this build should be pretty solid in terms of performance.

The motherboard just incase you decide on overclocking I would go for the EVGA 680I board but the Gigabyte DS3 would be a good choice for overclocking.
May 6, 2007 7:40:52 PM

My only point of contention right now is the mobo:-

1. Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi A/P: no SLI, but penryn support

2. XfX 680i LT: SLI, doubtful Penryn support.

Obvious question is, am I ever going to use SLI? I have to admit, I am of 2 minds about it. On the one hand it is nice to have the option, but on the other hand, at a 1680 x 1050 resolution, will I ever need more than one super-powered graphics card????
May 6, 2007 8:49:18 PM

Unless you buy two of "the top" card, or if you buy the top card, and plan to buy the same thing again soon after, SLI is rarely worth the money.
!