Can you rename a Character

I have on occasion thought about how it's possible that other names would
work better with some of my toons. Hey, they do this all the time in comic
books right?

DC
--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 26 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy

    "Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >I have on occasion thought about how it's possible that other names would
    >work better with some of my toons. Hey, they do this all the time in comic
    >books right?

    Unfortunately, no. Unless you have a name that contravenes game policy
    and the GMs see it.

    Xocyll
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <6iIXd.23875$VD5.8432@twister.socal.rr.com>,
    Hawaii_SE-R wrote:
    > I have on occasion thought about how it's possible that other
    > names would work better with some of my toons. Hey, they do
    > this all the time in comic books right?

    They won't let you change it unless the name violates the EULA.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll wrote:
    > Hawaii_SE-R wrote:
    >> Xocyll wrote:
    >>> Unfortunately, no. Unless you have a name that contravenes game
    policy
    >>> and the GMs see it.
    >>
    >> That is a pity. I guess in a way it is rare that a 1st string comic
    >> characters changes his/her name. I can only think of a few:
    >>
    >> Weapon X / Wolverine / Patch / Wolverine
    >> Marvel Girl / Phoenix / Jean Grey
    >> Angel / Archangel / Angel
    >> Captain America / USAgent / Captain America
    >> Iron Man / War Machine
    >> Ant Man / Giant Man / Goliath / Yellow Jacket
    >> Hawkeye / Goliath II / Golden Archer
    >> Weapon Alpha / Vindicator / Guardian
    >> Invisible Girl / Invisible Woman
    >> Green Lantern / Sentinel
    >> Green Lantern / Parallax / Spectre / Green Lantern
    >> Green Lantern / Warrior / Green Lantern
    >> Robin / Nightwing
    >
    > The issue of course is that none of these guys worked in a city with
    > tens of thousands of registered heroes.
    >
    > Just the fact of the registry/license would be enough to stop you
    > renaming yourself - bureaucratic inertia if nothing else.
    >
    >> Of course a Rename along with the Respec would be kinda neat. You
    could
    >> even switch between names like you would costumes.
    >
    > Switching between names like costumes would just make the name
    problem
    > 4x worse since there would be even fewer "good names" left for new
    > players/heroes.

    What I would find interesting is if they implemented an Alias system,
    where you could change your character's name, and even allow people to
    have the same aliases. They seem dead-set against even making Secret
    IDs part of the game, and I can see how it could cause logistical
    problems. I still think it would be interesting.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

    > Unfortunately, no. Unless you have a name that contravenes game policy
    > and the GMs see it.

    That is a pity. I guess in a way it is rare that a 1st string comic
    characters changes his/her name. I can only think of a few:

    Weapon X / Wolverine / Patch / Wolverine
    Marvel Girl / Phoenix / Jean Grey
    Angel / Archangel / Angel
    Captain America / USAgent / Captain America
    Iron Man / War Machine
    Ant Man / Giant Man / Goliath / Yellow Jacket
    Hawkeye / Goliath II / Golden Archer
    Weapon Alpha / Vindicator / Guardian
    Invisible Girl / Invisible Woman
    Green Lantern / Sentinel
    Green Lantern / Parallax / Spectre / Green Lantern
    Green Lantern / Warrior / Green Lantern
    Robin / Nightwing

    Of course a Rename along with the Respec would be kinda neat. You could
    even switch between names like you would costumes.

    DC
    --
    8 Infinity Server 8
    Purple Kid - Lvl 26 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy
    SE-R - Lvl 21 - M - Science Blaster- Fire/Fire
    Smart Hulkster - Lvl 7 - Science Tanker - Invulnerability/War Mace
    Ursa Mjr - Lvl 9 - Mutant Controller - Mind Control/Storm Summoning
    7 of 8 - lvl 5 - Technology Defender - Force Field/ Radiation
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, no. Unless you have a name that contravenes game policy
    >> and the GMs see it.
    >
    >That is a pity. I guess in a way it is rare that a 1st string comic
    >characters changes his/her name. I can only think of a few:
    >
    >Weapon X / Wolverine / Patch / Wolverine
    >Marvel Girl / Phoenix / Jean Grey
    >Angel / Archangel / Angel
    >Captain America / USAgent / Captain America
    >Iron Man / War Machine
    >Ant Man / Giant Man / Goliath / Yellow Jacket
    >Hawkeye / Goliath II / Golden Archer
    >Weapon Alpha / Vindicator / Guardian
    >Invisible Girl / Invisible Woman
    >Green Lantern / Sentinel
    >Green Lantern / Parallax / Spectre / Green Lantern
    >Green Lantern / Warrior / Green Lantern
    >Robin / Nightwing

    The issue of course is that none of these guys worked in a city with
    tens of thousands of registered heroes.

    Just the fact of the registry/license would be enough to stop you
    renaming yourself - bureaucratic inertia if nothing else.

    >Of course a Rename along with the Respec would be kinda neat. You could
    >even switch between names like you would costumes.

    Switching between names like costumes would just make the name problem
    4x worse since there would be even fewer "good names" left for new
    players/heroes.

    Xocyll
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:39:27 GMT, "Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com>
    wrote:

    >Iron Man / War Machine

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure these two aren't the same guy. I
    guess they may have been at one point, but I'm almost certain they're
    not now.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
    > >Iron Man / War Machine
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure these two aren't the same guy. I
    > guess they may have been at one point, but I'm almost certain they're
    > not now.

    You are correct. At one time a new suit was created for a new wearer and
    was called Iron Man. The original came back and then the new guy was then
    called War Machine.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    > "The Black Guardian" <blakgard@aol.com> looked up from reading the
    > entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
    > say:
    >
    > In paragon city terms, everyone who isn't a hero or a villain is just a
    > normal civilian - including the police and military who don't do any
    > better against the villains than the local paperboy.

    Assuming OOP is in effect, you can't convert the characters class so you
    have several choices:

    Write exception code to artificially force opponets to treat the character
    as if it were a NPC. The potentially-simplest way would be to make the
    character's level either too low or too high to trigger attacks. Say a
    pseudo-level of -10 or 60.

    Create a NPC-class object that players can control and when the player goes
    to secret ID, you remove the hero-avatar and replace with a NPC-avatar.

    Create a from-scratch NPC-class.

    The Devil is in the details with any of these options. The third would
    likely be the worst to code.

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    Vorlonagent (M), level 21 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    NightfalI (M), Level 16 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 16 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    lmpact (F), Level 14 Blaster (Gun,Energy), Virtue
    Girl at the Bar (F), Level 10 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll wrote:
    > The Black Guardian wrote:
    >> Xocyll wrote:

    >>> That's just it - the baddies don't attempt to kill the average
    >>> civilian, just rob them, haul them off for ceremonies etc.
    >>> A costume wearing hero on the other hand is attacked on sight, with
    >>> intent to kill.
    >>
    >> Where did I say "kill?" The baddies do, in fact, attack average
    >> citizens.
    >
    > Not random civilians though, only staged set pieces that are spawned
    > with both baddies and victim.
    >
    > The baddies completely ignore the random civilians that walk by.

    Indeed. But what would happen if the random citizens didn't run in
    terror?

    The subroutines are all there. The baddies would either start fighting
    or try to steal your purse, etc. The subroutines would just need to be
    called, which wouldn't take much coding at all.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <d3t14116q01eb8tu7vnbi3fqd202muqv9i@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    > A fast hack job that results in the hero not being attacked
    > while incognito (guaranteed to be abused), or a massive rewrite
    > of the baddie code (guaranteed to have massive problems.)
    >
    > In short, it's far more bother than it's worth to Cryptic,
    > since people are happy to play without having a secret
    > identity.

    A Secret Identity Power Pool would be OK for this, with the pool
    culminating in a toggle that makes you look like any citizen and
    functions like 100% Stealth.

    But due to constraints, they'd need to come up with three other
    useful powers to make a complete secret identity pool, and that
    might be tricky. Perhaps there are four different disguises, good
    for different things?

    I agree the game doesn't currently support anything but Secret
    Identity as a stealth power.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
    > A Secret Identity Power Pool would be OK for this, with the pool
    > culminating in a toggle that makes you look like any citizen and
    > functions like 100% Stealth.
    >
    > But due to constraints, they'd need to come up with three other
    > useful powers to make a complete secret identity pool, and that
    > might be tricky. Perhaps there are four different disguises, good
    > for different things?
    >
    > I agree the game doesn't currently support anything but Secret
    > Identity as a stealth power.

    Civilian. Tree. Rock. Blowing newspaper. There you go.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 27 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

    "Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
    > Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
    >> A Secret Identity Power Pool would be OK for this, with the pool
    >> culminating in a toggle that makes you look like any citizen and
    >> functions like 100% Stealth.
    >>
    >> But due to constraints, they'd need to come up with three other
    >> useful powers to make a complete secret identity pool, and that
    >> might be tricky. Perhaps there are four different disguises, good
    >> for different things?
    >>
    >> I agree the game doesn't currently support anything but Secret
    >> Identity as a stealth power.
    >
    > Civilian. Tree. Rock. Blowing newspaper. There you go.

    A "Shapeshifter Pool", then?

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    Vorlonagent (M), level 21 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    lmpact (F), Level 14 Blaster (Gun,Energy), Virtue
    Girl at the Bar (F), Level 10 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph

Video Games