Cingular unauthorized change of GAIT plan to NATP

Last response: in Network Providers
January 4, 2005 9:55:01 AM

Most of December 2004 my Nokia 6340I with GAIT option, which had worked
coast to coast, started being unable to place or receive calls. Even in
Metro Atlanta! Calling Tech Support and spending 30-90minutes each
call, I was assured the problem was fixed.

Today I noticed my bill had an unexpected GAIT to NATP plan change.
Customer service admitted the change was unauthorized by the account
holder, but started to list advantages. Extra 50 minutes etc.

Cingular does not grasp the damages caused by this "slam": unable
to make calls to business customers, incoming callers getting
disconnect messages instead of my voice mail, hours wasted talking to
technical support, who b.s. "my problem" is fixed.

Is there anyway to get my GAIT (GSM, AMPS, TDMA) coverage back? Does
anyone know if this is the end of the surprise plan changes?

I have 5000 roll over minutes, which I hate to throw away, but working
service is a requirement.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:34:06 PM

"DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Most of December 2004 my Nokia 6340I with GAIT option, which had worked
> coast to coast, started being unable to place or receive calls. Even in
> Metro Atlanta! Calling Tech Support and spending 30-90minutes each
> call, I was assured the problem was fixed.
>

> Today I noticed my bill had an unexpected GAIT to NATP plan change.
> Customer service admitted the change was unauthorized by the account
> holder, but started to list advantages. Extra 50 minutes etc.
>
> Cingular does not grasp the damages caused by this "slam": unable
> to make calls to business customers, incoming callers getting
> disconnect messages instead of my voice mail, hours wasted talking to
> technical support, who b.s. "my problem" is fixed.
>
> Is there anyway to get my GAIT (GSM, AMPS, TDMA) coverage back? Does
> anyone know if this is the end of the surprise plan changes?
>
> I have 5000 roll over minutes, which I hate to throw away, but working
> service is a requirement.

It's the phone not the rate plan.

HTH

--
SS
Anonymous

"DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Most of December 2004 my Nokia 6340I with GAIT option, which had worked
> coast to coast, started being unable to place or receive calls. Even in
> Metro Atlanta! Calling Tech Support and spending 30-90minutes each
> call, I was assured the problem was fixed.
>

> Today I noticed my bill had an unexpected GAIT to NATP plan change.
> Customer service admitted the change was unauthorized by the account
> holder, but started to list advantages. Extra 50 minutes etc.
>
> Cingular does not grasp the damages caused by this "slam": unable
> to make calls to business customers, incoming callers getting
> disconnect messages instead of my voice mail, hours wasted talking to
> technical support, who b.s. "my problem" is fixed.
>
> Is there anyway to get my GAIT (GSM, AMPS, TDMA) coverage back? Does
> anyone know if this is the end of the surprise plan changes?
>
> I have 5000 roll over minutes, which I hate to throw away, but working
> service is a requirement.

I recently changed my GAIT plan to NATP1000R, but my T62u GAIT phone is
still fully functional on both GSM and TDMA networks. I haven't had an
occasion to use AMPS since the change. My bill specifically shows "GAIT
calling area" as a line item.

If you can't make or receive calls in Atlanta, there may be a problem with
the phone itself rather than provisioning of the account.

Bob
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:53:20 PM

In article <1104850501.797226.196680@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Most of December 2004 my Nokia 6340I with GAIT option, which had worked
> coast to coast, started being unable to place or receive calls. Even in
> Metro Atlanta! Calling Tech Support and spending 30-90minutes each
> call, I was assured the problem was fixed.
>

> Today I noticed my bill had an unexpected GAIT to NATP plan change.
> Customer service admitted the change was unauthorized by the account
> holder, but started to list advantages. Extra 50 minutes etc.
>
> Cingular does not grasp the damages caused by this "slam": unable
> to make calls to business customers, incoming callers getting
> disconnect messages instead of my voice mail, hours wasted talking to
> technical support, who b.s. "my problem" is fixed.
>
> Is there anyway to get my GAIT (GSM, AMPS, TDMA) coverage back? Does
> anyone know if this is the end of the surprise plan changes?
>
> I have 5000 roll over minutes, which I hate to throw away, but working
> service is a requirement.

Call a Lawyer. You HAVE suffered damages.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:08:39 PM

Well the problem happen several times. I requested a replacement phone.
Cingular warranty exchange transfered me to customer service. They
claim there is nothing they can do to keep a Nokia 6349I from tracking
on a stronger tdma tower. I did not post I can call and get a "welecome
to american roaming $2 for the 1st minute" which indicates the phone is
working.

I have to conclude Cingular is going pure GSM which means its worthless
for someone that needs nonmetro coverage.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:17:13 PM

Lawyers on retainer (i.e real ones) could handle the case and win, but
for my $20K+ in fees, it would take 3-6 yrs to get my money back.
Given Cingular idiot policies I have the risk they would go chapter 7
before collecting. Then I am left holding the bag.

Its possible a class action will pop up, but once again is it worth my
time (i.e. money). My losses so far are $7K plus and unless something
turns up, hardly worth the significant effort a lawsuit will involve.

Before someone advises "complain to the federal state x agency" I can
assure you Cingular has not done anything to offset their poltical and
legal connections.
Time will tell if Cingular is being a World Comm or if for whatever
reason I am in a subclass of customer they want rid of.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:08:33 AM

In article <1105063719.632200.323420@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Well the problem happen several times. I requested a replacement phone.
> Cingular warranty exchange transfered me to customer service. They
> claim there is nothing they can do to keep a Nokia 6349I from tracking
> on a stronger tdma tower. I did not post I can call and get a "welecome
> to american roaming $2 for the 1st minute" which indicates the phone is
> working.
>

> I have to conclude Cingular is going pure GSM which means its worthless
> for someone that needs nonmetro coverage.

In its April 20, 2004 Press Release Cingular bragged about it, in fact.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:51:17 AM

In <1105063719.632200.323420@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 6 Jan 2005
18:08:39 -0800, "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I have to conclude Cingular is going pure GSM

True.

>which means its worthless
>for someone that needs nonmetro coverage.

False.

January 7, 2005 9:52:22 AM

In <1105064233.144264.41040@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 6 Jan 2005
18:17:13 -0800, "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Lawyers on retainer (i.e real ones) could handle the case and win, but
>for my $20K+ in fees, it would take 3-6 yrs to get my money back.
>Given Cingular idiot policies I have the risk they would go chapter 7
>before collecting. Then I am left holding the bag.
>
>Its possible a class action will pop up, but once again is it worth my
>time (i.e. money). My losses so far are $7K plus and unless something
>turns up, hardly worth the significant effort a lawsuit will involve.
>
>Before someone advises "complain to the federal state x agency" I can
>assure you Cingular has not done anything to offset their poltical and
>legal connections.
>Time will tell if Cingular is being a World Comm or if for whatever
>reason I am in a subclass of customer they want rid of.

That's a good laugh -- thanks.

January 7, 2005 10:39:55 AM

I travel coast to coast and often had the only working phone in my
group. I have called Cingular tech support from several of these AMPS
mode areas. They confirm they have no GSM coverage in these zip codes
nor do they plan to.

Likewise there are areas where there is no CDMA, however, Verizon still
sells tri-mode phones so these phones will work anywhere in the USA.

Are you saying Cingular does not know where they have GSM coverage and
a GSM would work in these areas my 6340I goes into AMPS mode?

John Navas wrote:

> In <1105063719.632200.323420@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 6 Jan
2005
> 18:08:39 -0800, "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >I have to conclude Cingular is going pure GSM
>
> True.
>
> >which means its worthless
> >for someone that needs nonmetro coverage.
>
> False.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 7:50:16 PM

In article <1104850501.797226.196680@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
czervas@bellsouth.net says...
> Most of December 2004 my Nokia 6340I with GAIT option, which had worked
> coast to coast, started being unable to place or receive calls. Even in
> Metro Atlanta! Calling Tech Support and spending 30-90minutes each
> call, I was assured the problem was fixed.
>
> Today I noticed my bill had an unexpected GAIT to NATP plan change.
> Customer service admitted the change was unauthorized by the account
> holder, but started to list advantages. Extra 50 minutes etc.
>
> Is there anyway to get my GAIT (GSM, AMPS, TDMA) coverage back? Does
> anyone know if this is the end of the surprise plan changes?

"GAIT option" vrs "GAIT to NATP" plan. I'm not clear if you had a true
GAIT plan or a GSM plan with the "GAIT Feature". In any case it sounds
like you're now on a GSM plan but without the Gait feature activated in
which case the phone wouldn't work outside the GSM area. You should be
seeing line items on your bill for something like "Gait calling area"
and "GAIT for GSM". If you don't then you've got just plain GSM and you
need to get back with CS. The coverage area (GSM+TDMA+AMPS) should be
the same for the old GAIT national plan and the GSM national with GAIT
added.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

In <1105112395.808518.19620@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 7 Jan 2005
07:39:55 -0800, "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>>
>> In <1105063719.632200.323420@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 6 Jan
>2005
>> 18:08:39 -0800, "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I have to conclude Cingular is going pure GSM
>>
>> True.
>>
>> >which means its worthless
>> >for someone that needs nonmetro coverage.
>>
>> False.

>I travel coast to coast and often had the only working phone in my
>group. I have called Cingular tech support from several of these AMPS
>mode areas. They confirm they have no GSM coverage in these zip codes
>nor do they plan to.
>
>Likewise there are areas where there is no CDMA, however, Verizon still
>sells tri-mode phones so these phones will work anywhere in the USA.
>
>Are you saying Cingular does not know where they have GSM coverage and
>a GSM would work in these areas my 6340I goes into AMPS mode?

No, I'm saying that GSM is far from "worthless" for "nonmetro coverage" even
though it doesn't have the same coverage as AMPS.

p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread -- it's
confusing, and considered a bit rude. Thanks.