Internet Explorer responding sloooooowwwww

mikeno9

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I built myself a new pc about a year ago and upon initial installation it ran very fast. At one point I had to reinstall XP and from that point on, Internet Explorer has been extremely slow. I have since then reinstalled on more than one occasion and each time, Internet Explorer runs terribly slow. My download speeds are still very fast and the rest of my programs seem to run ok but IE is terrible, averaging about 30 seconds in between clicks on yahoo. The rest of the pc's in the house do not have this problem so i'm not sure if it hardware or software related.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE? Before uninstalling be sure to export you Favorites and Address Book. Also try Firefox and see if it runs slow

G

But the OP says, "I had to reinstall XP and from that point on, Internet Explorer has been extremely slow" so you can't assume it's IE7.

Grumpy

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Go to Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components. Before you do this, download IE7 if you're using XP otherwise the newest version of IE6

G

I know IE7 can be uninstalled/reinstalled but it's impossible to remove IE6 from Windows XP. It's part of the OS.

Grumpy

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Never tried to uninstall IE6. If uninstalling it is an option in Add/Remove, then you should be able to do it or at least revert to an earlier version that you could upgrade to the newest one, You can download and save the most recent version of IE6 and install it from the computer. If you're not running IE7 in XP, you could install it to see if that fixed the problem. If you don't like it, ininstall it and it will likely force Windows into reinstalling IE6.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
But the OP says, "I had to reinstall XP and from that point on, Internet Explorer has been extremely slow" so you can't assume it's IE7.

Grumpy

+1

also, you can't uninstall IE, not to say you can't at all which you can but then your explorer may not work, in otherwords its a part of xp without which xp may not run properly ;)

so in short you can't uninstall IE6 ;)

he owes, he owes, he is right and it's off to work he goes!

he is grumpy

;) :)