2x 512 @ Dualchannel or 1 1GB?

Magikal

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Hey,

I'm about to upgrade some things in my computer, i've already checked the compatible memory upgrades. I'm looking at getting PC3200 400mhz ram. I have 4 slots in my computer (2 dual channels) and I already have 2x 256mb memory sticks.

Is there a difference between buying a 1gb stick or a kit with 2 512s using my dual channel?

Another question my local store has a couple choices, one 1gb stick from centon for $70 up to a kingston for $130, does brand make a huge difference if both offer lifetime warranties?

Thanks!

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Are you going to keep the existing 2 x 256mb in the system or not? If you plan to keep them, I would not suggest adding a single 1gb DIMM to the other memory channel.

What MOBO do you have?

Magikal

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
The 2x 256mbs are on different channels, I was planning on putting them on the same channel then sticking the new memory on the other set. Doing that, you wouldn't suggest putting in a 1gb stick? So put in 2x 512mbs on the other set?

I was going to keep them because I don't think I need more then 1.5gb of memory, I looked at some benchmark tests and the results from 1.5 to 2 didn't seem significant enough for my use to spend another $100.

I have a P4SD-VL mobo, Comp is a sony PCV-RS530g

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
The problem is that adding a single DIMM to the 2nd channel can lead to instability. Some dual channel boards cannot run 3 DIMMs at all. And, any time you mix memory types and sizes you can get instabilities. Ideally, you should upgrade to 2 x 1gb for the best performance and stability. If your 2 x 512mb will not mix with the 2 x 256mb then you are stuck.

Also, if you have a Sony built system, it probably will not allow you to adjust the memory voltages. If this is correct, then do not buy the XMS type memory as it requires more voltage than your MOBO can provide. A kit of value type or OEM replacement memory, 2 x 1gb is your best option.