Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Network Connection Problem

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 5, 2007 4:43:42 AM

Hey guys,

I'm using Vista Business now, and I've attempted to connect my computer to the router via ethernet lines. However, the computer can only detects the network, with limited connectivity. I've tried releasing IP, renewing, disable/re-enabling, and other techniques. However, I still cannot get it to work.

I have a XP laptop, and I tried using the same connection, and it connects to the network successfully. So I'm guessing its my Vista that needs some tuning.

Any recommendations and comments are sincerely appreciated. :) 
Anonymous
June 5, 2007 11:22:10 AM

Did you try power cycling your router first?

Grumpy
June 5, 2007 6:39:29 PM

Quote:
Did you try power cycling your router first?

Grumpy

First of all, thank you for your reply. I wasn't expecting a reply that fast :lol: 

Yes I've done that. I also discovered that even if I plug the Ethernet cable into my modem, and the same thing happens. As a result, I believe its Vista's setting that's preventing the connection.

So far, I've disabled the DHCP Broadcast Flag, which may interfere with the connection. However, its still not working.

Any more recommendation is gratefully accepted. :) 
Related resources
Anonymous
June 5, 2007 11:36:20 PM

If you have a cable modem, you can't connect it to a different device without power cycling. I have Vista Business and have no trouble with a network connection. You could try setting a static IP address and see if you get connectivity.

Grumpy
June 6, 2007 4:19:51 AM

Quote:
If you have a cable modem, you can't connect it to a different device without power cycling. I have Vista Business and have no trouble with a network connection. You could try setting a static IP address and see if you get connectivity.

Grumpy

yep. Been there.

Since my XP laptop can connect to the router/ cable modem, I'm now suspecting its my Vista desktop's problem. It looks like it might be MB's problem. There are several users reporting suffering from the same issue, with no resolution from the manufactures yet.

But nonetheless, I really appreciate your recommendations.
Anonymous
June 6, 2007 11:02:04 AM

Try plugging in a NIC and see if it connects.

Grumpy
!