How Do I Backup Just OS and Programs But Not Data?

MadScientistHair

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Apologies if this sounds terribly simple, as I've never done it. I know how to clone my entire system by going to Control Panel, Backup and Restore, and Create a System Image, but this ostensibly creates a duplicate of OS state, and the entire drive, data and all (for me around 500 GB).

I also know how to just backup data alone, but what I don't know how to do is backup just the OS and all installations (separate from raw, individual data and media files), so in the event of disk failure, I can simply reload the old system and programs (but not media files).

Can this be done, and how?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I'm not aware that you can make an image backup but only back up part of the image and not all of it.

The way that I do this is to partition my hard drives and put the data on a separate partition from the programs and OS. Then I can back up each one at different times and frequencies.

Something that you might consider is doing a full image backup of your entire hard drive. Then consider that the programs don't change frequently so you only have to redo the image when you think your program installation has changed significantly. After doing the full image then you can make periodic incremental backups. These don't take as much time or space to make. Then if needed you would restore the image backup then restore the incremental backups.