Sign in with
Your question

$100000000000 Budget, Please give me your thoughts!

Last response: in Systems
May 6, 2007 5:14:11 PM

Kidding, This is just getting a little stupid.. these out of reach "Gamers" that people are coming here claiming to build. Seems like each time someone registers and creates a thread like this, their "Budget" keeps going higher and higher.. lol
May 6, 2007 6:47:18 PM

Average people don't want to spend more than $1500 on a gaming rig but there are some people out there that money is not an issue.
May 6, 2007 7:23:54 PM

i say beyond 2500$ is a waste of money
Related resources
May 6, 2007 7:25:01 PM

btw is that speedtest photoshopped? or are you on a godlike gonnection :) 
May 6, 2007 7:31:34 PM

hes probably at a college dorm. my connection is like that during low usage.
May 6, 2007 7:47:46 PM

33MB/s?! Holy crap, I thought my 6MBps Time Warner was fast.
May 6, 2007 7:49:32 PM

yeah. when i was at college my connection was actually a bit higher than his.
Nothing special if you have massive firewalls monitoring 24/7. :evil: 
May 6, 2007 8:32:37 PM

Buy Holland.
May 6, 2007 8:34:47 PM

This is so perfect since i've been tracking this thread, we're all calling him a retard for wanted to spend 15,000 on a computer. Best part was when he decided he wanted 5 19" moniters for a "matrix like effect". Forget he only have 4 ports from the sli he wanted, and that they dont support that resolution...sigh
May 6, 2007 8:40:07 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, with the extreme editions cpus from intel and $600 videocards and $800+ LCD HD screens, I would say anything beyond $4000-$5000 is a waste.
May 6, 2007 8:47:18 PM

Not a very good investment. Holland will be the first country flooded when ocean levels rise due to global warming.
May 6, 2007 10:31:23 PM

No, its real.. and yeah its my apartment at school, the apartments and the dorms get these connections for $60/Semester.

The school has top of the line equipment and an OC12 Backbone, one of the nice things about being here :) 

During peak hours it slows down to around 15mb but that's still plenty fast.

I can download my favorate IPTV Show episodes fast :) 

DL.TV Highly recommended if you dont already watch it.

May 6, 2007 10:58:19 PM

I have a pretty high end Dell system with a 2.7GHz celeron, integrated graphics, and dual cascaded dial up modems, I'd sell it but $100000000000 isn't quite enough for such a beast.
May 6, 2007 11:00:00 PM

Oh, and my internet was just upgraded from 3meg to 8meg at no extra cost :D  I'd normally be pretty excited but I don't download much anymore, and the 3meg suited me just fine before, but you can't argue with free.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2007 12:28:17 AM

Quote:
Kidding, This is just getting a little stupid.. these out of reach "Gamers" that people are coming here claiming to build. Seems like each time someone registers and creates a thread like this, their "Budget" keeps going higher and higher.. lol

Perhaps 2 x Quad Core Xeon's with 2 x 8800 Ultra's for that overkill-brag-o-right goodness, something like that V8 system intel displayed

for a more sane rig, the Q6800 with 4gb and an 8800GTX
May 7, 2007 12:40:02 AM

That's it!? That will get a you a cheap set of 2.1 speakers. Come back when you get more money.
May 7, 2007 1:16:14 AM

Personally, I would rather spend $2000 every year on a new computer IF I had that kind of money. At most, I could only really spend $1,500 on a new system and that would include a new 24" monitor.
May 7, 2007 2:02:22 AM

Quote:

Perhaps 2 x Quad Core Xeon's with 2 x 8800 Ultra's for that overkill-brag-o-right goodness, something like that V8 system intel displayed

for a more sane rig, the Q6800 with 4gb and an 8800GTX
Intel V8 can't use SLI and FB-dimms suck for gaming
AMD 4x4 is better or 2-4 AMD Opteron cpus with ecc ram is better.
May 7, 2007 2:11:32 AM

Quote:

Try a 1Gb/s fibre optic connection.

Unfortunately I can't use it now though since I'm back in Australia :cry: 
May 7, 2007 3:39:33 AM

That was in Japan, which explains a lot.
May 7, 2007 4:41:57 AM

Quote:

1gb/s Optical carrier? Not sure there's such a thing.

OC 3 is 155mbit/s

OC 12 is 622mbit/s

OC 48 2.48gb/s

(this is my major)
May 7, 2007 5:02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:
That was in Japan, which explains a lot.

NTT. Also they managed to record a sustained data transfer rate over 160km at a speed of 14Tb/s in an experiment late last year.

Edit: grammar
May 7, 2007 5:37:50 AM

I remember when we thought 14Kbs was fast...
May 7, 2007 5:55:46 AM

Quote:
I remember when we thought 14Kbs was fast...

lol What was the movie with Sylvester Stallone and Sharon Stone that came out in the 90's? I think he had to protect her or something like that. I remember him using a PC modem thingy at a phone booth and on the screen it said "connected at 14.4Kb/s".

Another Hackers moment (it's got 16-bit!) :lol: 
May 7, 2007 7:29:21 AM

You kids, although I never thought it was fast, I used a 300 baud acoustic for the first year I had a computer. Forget if the phone was a rotary dial :oops: 
May 7, 2007 12:05:49 PM

Yeah i know about that, that was setup for a short period.. im talking about something people can actually use on a day to day basis.
May 7, 2007 7:35:45 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, with the extreme editions cpus from intel and $600 videocards and $800+ LCD HD screens, I would say anything beyond $4000-$5000 is a waste.

if one doesn't want to overclock, i agree
but if you overclock the just-not ultra high end stuff, you get the same (or better) performance
8800 ultra anyone? :) 
May 7, 2007 7:38:54 PM

Quote:
Not a very good investment. Holland will be the first country flooded when ocean levels rise due to global warming.

lol :lol: 
did someone watch to 'an inconvenient truth'? :wink:
May 7, 2007 8:04:57 PM

No, I forgot where I heard that... probably from a friend.
May 7, 2007 8:33:54 PM

Al Gore mentioned it in the movie
also my lovely city (Bruges) will be flooded too :cry: 
May 7, 2007 8:36:12 PM

That's a super computer. Doesn't really count. If I took every single computer in the building I'm in and networked them together with all the high-end network equipment here and had them all work on some distributed task I could call it "a computer" in the same sense that the japanese super computer is "a computer" (only mine would be more like "a crappy computer" comparatively) and easily come up with some ridiculously large dollar value.

The $1million dollar laptop doesn't really count either. It has diamonds glued on to it for no reason. If I glue a diamond to a can of coke it doesn't make it a $1million can of coke. It makes it a can of coke with a diamond glued on to it.

@taco boy
FYI: If you're the least bit picky about weight and battery runtime you're looking at $1000 minimum for a laptop. I'm about to lay down $1.5k for a laptop for my girlfriend (and it only comes with 512mb RAM and no diamonds). She wanted <5lb <14.1" wide screen >4 hour runtime. Of course I wanted a threesome and that doesn't cost anything but she still won't give it to me... I'm just very nice I guess :D 
May 7, 2007 8:42:13 PM

Quote:

OC 3 is 155mbit/s

OC 12 is 622mbit/s

OC 48 2.48gb/s

(this is my major)

I have 1, 2 and 4gb/s fibre optic devices right next to me ;)  Of course spec-compliant fibre channel is only good for 2km links. But it certainly exists.
May 7, 2007 8:47:01 PM

@ OP

hehe, good call on the topic. I don't even look at the ridiculous "$10K build" "$15k build - help" threads. Even if they were serious about spending that kind of money on a 'puter why the hell would they ask for advice here??? CompUSA would be more then happy to set them up and someone who thinks the amount of money they spend on a device is the determining factor of bragging rights deserves whatever the sales guy at CompUSA sells them xD
May 7, 2007 10:59:14 PM

I still remember in the movie "Hackers" where the dude was drooling over Jolie's laptop because it had 256MB of RAM and a 28.8K modem.

Also, I have to agree with taco. I posted this in that 15K as well:

If you're going to spend that kind of money, pay someone to build it for you. Don't come to a forum and expect FREE help.
May 8, 2007 7:07:53 PM

Quote:
I posted this in that 15K as well:
If you're going to spend that kind of money, pay someone to build it for you. Don't come to a forum and expect FREE help.

i posted:
get laid :wink:
May 8, 2007 7:54:10 PM

Quote:

Good Lord! Al Gore posts @ Toms!
May 8, 2007 9:16:32 PM

i mean who would need a computer with that much money, flight sim, just buy a real plane, same with racing games. fps or rts, just start a small war, wh needs pr0n when you can own a movie company, sports games, just buy the team and make yourself a player.
May 8, 2007 10:08:20 PM

If you really do have a $100 billion budget, do the following:

1. Buy out Apple ($90.48B) and make Steve Jobs put on a different suit and fire the stupid "I'm a Mac" guy. Why? Because both are annoying and need to be rectified, but won't until somebody buys AAPL. That's where you come in.

2. Buy AMD (7.31 B) and pay off their debt- should use up the remaining money, If you need a few billion more to do this, then have Jobs over at (your) Apple back-date some options for you. It made him a ton of money and he got off the SEC's hook; it should work for you, too. The cash infusion should allow AMD to finish building their fab as well as the ones in New York without killing the needed capex budget or paying ~100M/year in interest on their recently-issued bonds.

3. Since you own Apple and AMD, persuade Paul Otellini to show up at annual Apple conference not in a clean-room bunny suit but the pink bunny suit (with ears) from The Christmas Story in order to try to keep Apple on Intel processors. This would just be funny. Make him beg for it, then shoot him down because you own AMD and giving business to a competitor is stupid.

4. You're the owner of AMD, so I'm sure they could spot you an 8-CPU Opteron server with no problem. Ship the guts over to your boys at Cupertino to glossy up.

Now you have your computer, and it cost $100000000000.
May 8, 2007 10:59:44 PM

Quote:

hmm you might get it cheap tho and think of the weed and hookers!
May 8, 2007 11:14:27 PM

a friend of mine is going to lay down 11k for an alienware by the end of the year. i would tell him its a waste, but maybe if i rub my PC against it...

anyways, while we are off topic, my home connection gets 8k kb/s downstream and nearly 1k kb/s upload speeds. is that fast? i know that with my old modem i got about 2k down, but ever since i got my modem replaced (for free, since it had some problems) the speeds have gone through the roof!

by the way the modem is a motorola SB5101 and teh ISP is eastlink.
May 8, 2007 11:37:37 PM

Quote:

When people realize that 90% of glaciers are under water and that the rest of the ice in the world accounts for about nothing, they will come the terms that the water level will raise whopping 1mm when everything melts.

It would only rise higher than that if we push holland into the ocean and watch it sink.
May 9, 2007 12:42:43 AM

Quote:
When people realize that 90% of glaciers are under water and that the rest of the ice in the world accounts for about nothing, they will come the terms that the water level will raise whopping 1mm when everything melts.

It would only rise higher than that if we push holland into the ocean and watch it sink.
No, the polar ice caps have quite a bit of ice, and the water level will rise more than 1mm...

Even a small rise in water levels will be catastrophic.
!