toofrusterated

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
Hey this may actually be a hardware problem but I'm not sure what happening here. Starting a week ago I haven't been able to log into windows at all. Everything starts fine but as soon as I get through the XP loading screen sleep maode apears on the screen and shuts down. I've tried safe mode and I've tried the use last working windows configuration. It still keeps happening.

Now just so everyone knows this started when we were having electrical in the house and power went out several times during boot up. I don't know if this is the problem or not. But I thought I'd include it just in case. If anyone could help that would be great. I can't really afford a new computer right now and need it for school. Thanks

donk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Try removing the cmos battery. I to did a power off while booting, when I tried to reboot nothing. After removing the cmos battery for about three minutes, reinstalled and rebooted the computer, all was good.

toofrusterated

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
Ok... sorry this is taking so long to reply but I have been super busy this week. So I don't have a windows disk of my own. I have a image disk or whatever that came with the computer but I think I'll lose everything on my harddrive if I go that route. Also I don't know where the cmos battery is to try that. I don't want to go ripping things out either. I'm going to try and find a disk from a friend or something (this should be ok if I'm only using it to repair windows right?) Thanks for the help... is there anything I can do in the meantime?

donk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
the cosmos battery is used for re-setting passwords and such, but has also been known to fix power dumps when it came time to reboot and nothing. You will find it attached to the mobo, looking like one of the little round batterys in your watch, but on steriods. By removing it for about three minutes and then re-installing it you may be able to recover the info lost as far as your booting up is concerned. Simple but effective, or I should say, it worked for me. You will also loss your admin. password by doing this, so you will have to go into your bios and re-set if you want your password back. Not a big lose in my case.
Yes getting a rstore disk will for sure fix your problem, but a lot of work at the same time.
Good Luck.
DONK

donk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Removing the battery allows clearing of date, time, and (system setup) parameter memories in CMOS, by erasing the RTC RAM data. The onboard button cell battery powers the RAM data in CMOS, including system setup information.