Windows Vista Ultimate and Halo2 - horrible mouse action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
Not sure where to post this, but aside from the outdated graphics, is anyone experiencing "retarded" mouse movement in the game? I have a Logitech MX510, and find the mouse action just terrible. In the mouse sensitivity settings box, assigning a lower number yields action that feels like molasses. At the higher settings, mouse action is too jerky and unpredictable. I've tried every mouse sensitiviy setting and none work well. I have the latest Vista drivers and the latest Halo2 patch. It's still practically unplayable. The old regular Halo provides much more accurate and predictable mouse control. It's unfortunate that Microsoft/Bungie couldn't do the same with Halo2.

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
this definitely needs to be in the gaming section. no worries.

yeah, this is what i was afraid of. having console players play against pc players is gonna be an issue with this game. i guess they restricted the mouse's ability to give some leeway to the inferior console user.

on the contrary, I did see a video review for the game on gamespot, and the mouse movement looked fine. so you might have an issue. an issue i can't solve.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
You would need to post your specs.. I had to increase the mouse movement sensitivity to 9, I also needed to switch on vertical sync for smooth movement.. The game seems to have the framerate capped @ 60fps.. which may give you a slight laggy feel.

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
Thanks guys for the kind responses and ideas. My system specs are as follows:

E6600 @ stock
eVga 8800GTS 640 @ stock
2 Gigs 667 Crucial memory
Intel D965 LT motherboard
Logitech MX510 mouse w/latest Vista drivers
NEC 1712 LCD monitor

Never thought about turning veritcal sync on. Ordinarily, I play with it off. I'll try it with vertical sync on to see if this makes a difference.

I have been reading other forums in the interim, and it would appear that the "mouse" action is a reported known "issue", one that may "prejudice" the Xbox controller over KB&M. From my own personal experience, The original Halo for PC plays much smoother on my old P4 3.2 Northy and has noticeably more predictable and smoother mouse action. It's hard to determine if this is a Vista problem (which I doubt), or if Microsoft/Bungee bungled the port. If I set the game's mouse sensitivity to the lower range, the mouse feels like there is a 100 lb weight attached. At higher sensitivity settings, the mouse action is too jerky and the mid-range settings are fubar as well, failing to attain the correct balance between accuracy and predictability. In short, the game is just not enjoyable to play regardless of the mouse setting and at this point, and from my somewhat limited perspective, is a waste of both time and money.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I never normally play with vertical sync on.. but had to with this game otherwise the tearing was terrible, this was probably mainly due to the fact that halo 2 won't play at my native res (1440x900). Had to force vsync through the nvidia control panel.

As for mouse movement, I found it ok.. finished the game without any real problems.. also had a go on multiplayer and seemed ok. The movement on some of the convenant jets seemed a bit crap, but that was about it.

David_L6

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Can some please give me a step by step on this subject? I haven't found a way to get the mouse action sensitive enough (have to move the mouse a LOT more than it should have to be moved).

Computer specs:

Vista Ultimate: Intel DG965WH, E6700, EVGA 8800GTX, 3GB Crucial PC2-6400, 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, Dell 2001 FP LCD, Microsoft optical mouse of some sorts...... ???

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
It's in the control options I think (in work at mo).. mouse move sensitivity: 1-10 (10 being the most sensitive). I found 9 to be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.