Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaga93

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
So my budget is around 450 dollars and don't know what to buy, Xbox 360 or parts to upgrade my computer, so if i upgrade my computer i will have:

mobo-Msi p965 neo-f
cpu-Intel core2duo e4300
ram-2x1gb a-data 800mhz
vga-Sapphire x1950xt 256mb

So what do you think will have better graphics, and be better for gaming?

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Well, the 360 is going to better for games, because that's what it's designed for. But, you can do a lot more with a PC, and you can always upgrade it when it starts getting out of date.
Prozac is right, though - you'll need an 8800GTX to get some serious gaming power (more than a 360, I think).

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Well, the 360 is going to better for games, because that's what it's designed for. But, you can do a lot more with a PC, and you can always upgrade it when it starts getting out of date.
Prozac is right, though - you'll need an 8800GTX to get some serious gaming power (more than a 360, I think).
The 8800GTX is multiple times faster than the GPU in the Xbox360, but even the X1950XT would show it's advantages over the 360 in titles like F.E.A.R. and Oblivion.

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Same in what way? It's just that, I've usually seem same spec PC's run slower just because the 360 is designed and optimized for gaming in particular.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
My vote is the PC, you can do much more with it then just game. But if gaming is all you really do, then the 360 might be a better option for you.

Malaga93

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
I don't know what to get because i'm both a geek and a gamer, also i don't own HDTV so i can't run the games at 1920:1080 with the xbox 360 i can only run them at 480i which is i think lame.

bunkgoats

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I probably enjoy building and refining my PC to play games more than I actually enjoy playing the games. Only you know what will give you the best experiance. Also, rememeber each system will have a few exclusive titles. Are any of these games a deal maker/breaker for you?

An afterthought: What is the deal with this tech darling junk on a website whose target audience is (in my estimation) composed mostly of male PC eunthusiast?

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I don't know what to get because i'm both a geek and a gamer, also i don't own HDTV so i can't run the games at 1920:1080 with the xbox 360 i can only run them at 480i which is i think lame.

Then for the love of your geekness upgrade your computer. :wink:

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Well, it terms of image quality, an upgraded computer will far out-do the 360 if you don't have a HDTV. But, you might want a 360 for stuff like Halo, and X-Box Live (which I've heard is very good). There's also stuff like the Marketplace where you can buy add-ons for games. For example, you can buy more cars for Test Drive Unlimited on the 360.

Malaga93

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
yes there are great games only for Xbox 360, if Kotor 3 is announced only for the Xbox 360 that would be a console selling game for me.

TheMULLET

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Make your decision based on what you want to play.

An enthusiast PC is the worst bang-for-buck platform out there. You have the WORST games (not only do most of them suck, but most of them are buggy, run like crap), and the highest price since the PC hardware cartel is composed of for-profit corporations.

I'd only recommend PC gaming at this time if you have specific titles you really want to play, and have deep pockets.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
and have deep pockets.

For?

You want to build a PC gaming rig, it costs ~$1500.

An Xbox360 costs $400.

PC games ~$50
Xbox: games ~$70.
Xbox: gamming, music, slide shows, and playing movies.
PC: Gamming, music, slide show, video editing, video capture, Music editing, free online gamming, free game mods, chatting, Forums, web browsing, typing anything, 3D rendering, Internet videos, research, Movies, Programming, Need I keep listing.

BTW, You can build a good gamming PC for less then $1,000 and it will be better then the Xbox 360.

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006

An enthusiast PC is the worst bang-for-buck platform out there. You have the WORST games (not only do most of them suck, but most of them are buggy, run like crap), and the highest price since the PC hardware cartel is composed of for-profit corporations.

I'd only recommend PC gaming at this time if you have specific titles you really want to play, and have deep pockets.

Ermmm, a lot of console games are ported to PC. I've never had buggy problems with games (maybe you should trying buying a game instead of illegally downloading it!). They only run like crap if you don't build a decent PC in the first place, or if the software is messed up.
I built a PC for my housemate recently and I've not seen a single frame skip with Test Drive Unlimited running maxed out...

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I found the HDR in TD:U a bit overblown on the 360 (as in "I can't see the friggin' road" overblown), but you can switch it off on the PC.

Also, you can get mods when they inevitably arrive. And you can plug in the 360 controller as well to play it, which I highly recommend (unless you have a good steering wheel).

It depends on what you like doing. For me, half of the fun is building/tweaking the computer. However, if you have a game that only runs on the 360 that you want to play, buy the 360. I am currently into M2TW, a PC only game, so I would never even condsider a 360. I did buy the PS2 because I wanted to play GT4. The best performance is the PC, the best value is the 360.

mationman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

I totally disagree with the worst games statement I find it the opposite bought a gaming pc and a xbox 1 and I hardly touched the xbox the games are over simplified and aimed at younger audiences, most of the best games start out as pc games then get ported to consoles when they get offered a load of money eg elder scrolls games-oblivion, morrowind ,rainbow six and they even tried to cash in on total war with that awful total warrior game.

In my view pc games are alot more open ended and innovative the only console I would own would be a Wii. I'm a converted console buyer I owned a nes, mega drive, ps1, xbox but would never go back.

mationman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I am currently into M2TW, a PC only game, so I would never even condsider a 360.

My favourite game of all time even better than the original, sorry totally off topic but I love it, prime example of why you should have a pc its the closest to being a general and as complex as chess but in real time (when against human opponents AI can be a bit predictable but its still really good).

Malaga93

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
I would by Xbox 360 for GTA 4 i never liked playing Grand theft Auto on PC, but also building and tweaking the pc is quite fun

Status
Not open for further replies.