Sign in with
Your question

Gateway switching Video Cards. Gateway is a RIPOFF

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2007 7:34:15 PM

I purchased a Gateway FX530 XG that was to come with an ATI x1950XTX.
They sent it with a x1900 with a 1950xtx sticker on it.
If you purchased a system from Gateway that was to come with a x1950 card you better open your system and take a look. Gateway support is a joke.
They will not give me the card I paid for and am looking for others with same problem.
My attorney is looking towards a class action suit if I can find others with same problem.
Let me know.
Michael
May 6, 2007 8:03:01 PM

Yeah dude, i ordered the same computer. And they said it would have an xt1950xtx, but then it came with a fcuking 8800GTX SLI setup.

DAMN IM SO PISSED :roll:
May 6, 2007 8:37:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah dude, i ordered the same computer. And they said it would have an xt1950xtx, but then it came with a fcuking 8800GTX SLI setup.

DAMN IM SO PISSED :roll:

WTF!
Related resources
May 7, 2007 12:48:30 AM

kk, you lost your lawsuit already
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2007 12:54:31 AM

Quote:
I purchased a Gateway FX530 XG that was to come with an ATI x1950XTX.
They sent it with a x1900 with a 1950xtx sticker on it.
If you purchased a system from Gateway that was to come with a x1950 card you better open your system and take a look. Gateway support is a joke.
They will not give me the card I paid for and am looking for others with same problem.
My attorney is looking towards a class action suit if I can find others with same problem.
Let me know.
Michael

some ati video cards are like that, it all comes down to the drivers ID'ing them, like iv seen (if i remember correctly) an ATi x1600 le or se or something and with the manafacturer's drivers it detects as the same product but with ATi's drivers it shows up as a X1300 series, but you might be right there with yours, that is total BS.
May 7, 2007 1:19:45 AM

Thanks for the information.
I took the card out and sent ATI the part# ans serial#
They told me it was a x1900 with GDDR3 mem not a X1950xtx With GDDR4 like I paid for.
Guess I learned a lesson.
But I will still look for others who they ripped off and try to get my money back.
Thanks again
May 7, 2007 11:57:36 AM

Too bad Gateway did that, but I doubt a lawsuit would work.
May 7, 2007 7:25:17 PM

A legal letter from your lawyer might get you some pretty quick satisfasction as far as the proper replacement card, though...
May 7, 2007 9:18:57 PM

I can understand the anger. Then again, if the card was mislabeled, then the manufacturer of the card could be to blame over Gateway. You'd probably get the correct card, but a successful lawsuit would be hard to do if the card's manufactuer was to blame.
May 7, 2007 11:20:28 PM

This is why you should always keep letterhead around with a fancy lawfirm name at the top. Works wonders for lighting a fire underneith companies who try to rip you off or drag their feet getting you a replacement part. :twisted:
a c 358 U Graphics card
May 7, 2007 11:39:46 PM

Have you tried contacting Gateway about the issue?

If you are absolutely certain that they pulled a switch on you and Gateway refuses to rectify the situation, then you should contact your credit card rep file a claim for selling a falsely advertised product and reverse the charge on your credit card. Of course that means you will need to return the PC as well.

Hopefully you used AMEX to make the purchase. They have a reputation for helping customers with such issues.
!