Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vista Refuses to Install on my Hard Drives

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 8, 2007 3:02:05 PM

Vista will show my hard drives, but refuses to boot on any of them.

-I want to boot from a single WD raptor. It is controlled by the ICH9r
-I have a raid 5 setup that is configured also using ICH9r but this is
just for storage, not for an OS.
-I have installed the intel matrix raid driver even thought I'm not going to use the raid setup for OS.
- SATA native mode is enabled (legacy disabled)
- SATA set on RAID mode
- Onboard Ctrl Mode - set to IDE
- My hard drives are new and unpartitioned.
Please Help!
June 8, 2007 4:08:13 PM

I am still baffled at my original problem. However, I was able to circomvent by plugging my WD raptor into one of the 2 gigabyte brand support sata's on my p35-dq6.
m
l

Best solution

June 8, 2007 5:40:37 PM

I don't believe it's possible to have a RAID array on a controller and boot from a single drive on the same controller. You'll either have to boot from the array or (like you've already done) move the boot drive to a different controller.
June 9, 2007 7:18:05 AM

Quote:
I don't believe it's possible to have a RAID array on a controller and boot from a single drive on the same controller. You'll either have to boot from the array or (like you've already done) move the boot drive to a different controller.

What I have found is that you must either be IDE or (AHCI and/or RAID). In other words, Zoron is exactly right! IDE and newer Intel setup configurations are not friendly with each other. My MoBo has the option of setting my interface to be Raid, AHCI, or IDE.

My system is all set up and I'm not f*ing with it, it works great and is faster than any embedded setup I've had in the past! When I am in the bios and I select 'raid' and only have a single drive, the later 'Matrix Raid' bios screen allows me to set up a single drive as a 'raid-ready' device. I can, in the future, add other drives and easily convert to to Raid 0 or 1 and if I add 2 drives I can convert to raid 5 (truly the list goes on)...

I am currently running 4 500G seagate drives set up (using the intel matrix bios) as a 400G raid 0 volume and as a bit more than a 1.25T raid 5 volume. I've never had a problem with it and I am a happy camper but ymmv.

--DD
m
l
Related resources
!