Sign in with
Your question

2 8800 GTX's. What can power them? Now a moniter hunt.

Last response: in Components
May 6, 2007 8:59:30 PM

what can power this system I am going to build:

1) I am going to get a 8800GTX superclocked http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and want to get another one later to run in SLI

2) The EVGA nforce 680i MB.

3) e6600 overclocked to ~3.0GHZ with Tuniq Tower

4) 2 gb of patriot extreme performance DDR2 1066

5) WD Raptor 150gb. (May get another one if needed)

6) This Samsung DVD burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682....

7) View Sonic VX922 2ms 19 inches

8) Creative sound blaster X-fi xtreme gamer 7.1 ( Why is the 8 turning into a smily???)

9) P7800 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

10) Through it all in in an antec 900 case. With a logitec g5 and logitec g15 keyboard

So what power supply should I get for what I have now and what I will get in the future? And also is there any recommendations or problems with my system? Thanx for reading.
May 6, 2007 10:00:02 PM

Tough stuff you got there. For the SLi part, just get 1. The monitor you selected only supports 1280x1024. SLi won't be fully expressed with that resolution.

Here is one that I recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Only if you decide to SLi, then I advise something like that for a monitor. Otherwise the Viewsonic one you selected is just fine for 1 GTX.

Powersupply wise, I'd vote for a Enermax Galaxy if you use 2 GTX's.

Bear in mind, this thing is rather long, but will fit in the Antec 900 no problem.

But if your only going to use 1, then here is this:

Good luck. :D 
Related resources
May 6, 2007 10:53:09 PM

That monitor is a waste of a single 8800GTX, so why would you consider two?
May 7, 2007 8:40:10 AM

Quote:
That monitor is a waste of a single 8800GTX, so why would you consider two?

He said "later". Maybe hell buy a new monitor by then.

I sure hope he does!
May 7, 2007 9:19:22 AM

Yeah, the 8800 GTX <i>does</i> fit in the Antec Nine Hundred. With a little bit of room to spare too. It even fit in my Cooler Master Mystique 632 - which is even a bit more shallow than my new Nine Hundred.
May 7, 2007 11:12:38 AM

Quote:
Good to know thanks. Back when i first got the 900 i did measure to make sure i could at least get the 8800GTS in there in case i ever upgraded. Nice to know that the GTX will fit.

You're kidding right?
The 900 is one of the highest-end cases on earth.

Its.. its like asking if a 1000w PSU can handle an FX 5600.
May 7, 2007 11:59:29 AM

19" for 8800GTX in SLI? Are you mad or something?
May 7, 2007 2:40:12 PM

everyone is yelling at me for wanting 2 for a 19 inch moniter. The resean I will get another would be after a year or so when games get a little more demanding. I would like to have a PSU that could handle SLI when I do. But seing how I guess it would help to have a bigger moniter can someone recommend one 20-22 inches big. I dont want a HUGE one because I like to go to my friends house and have LAN parties and stuff. And what response time do I need to have no ghosting. The 2ms response time is mainly why I chose the veiwsonic.
May 7, 2007 3:19:01 PM

You could try Samsung 226BW. It's 22" and has 2ms response time.
May 7, 2007 3:19:20 PM

Quote:
19" for 8800GTX in SLI? Are you mad or something?

its gonna be needed if he wanna play crysis with everything on full detail :) .. do you think you will play crysis with a 1920x1200 res with 2 gtx's?
May 7, 2007 7:58:57 PM

Theorectically it is said that Dirext X 10 can process graphics 8 fold what DX9 games can, due to the processing efficiency.

I',m guessing two 8800GTX's OC'ed with a quadcore proccessor (for the Physics) will be able to run Crysis Maxed at 2560x1600.

I hope.
May 7, 2007 11:01:43 PM

Quote:
everyone is yelling at me for wanting 2 for a 19 inch moniter. The resean I will get another would be after a year or so when games get a little more demanding. I would like to have a PSU that could handle SLI when I do. But seing how I guess it would help to have a bigger moniter can someone recommend one 20-22 inches big. I dont want a HUGE one because I like to go to my friends house and have LAN parties and stuff. And what response time do I need to have no ghosting. The 2ms response time is mainly why I chose the veiwsonic.

At that point when you think your rig is too slow to handle games they probably won't be selling 8800GTX's or they will be so scarce the price you will pay will be more than a newer single card that produces less heat, consumes, less power and performs a lot better.
May 7, 2007 11:03:53 PM

Quote:

I have read mixed reviews on that. Do you or know anyone else have it. I heard like the picture was not great and that it just wasn't all that great.

Also what about the fact that its widescreen. Would gaming with a widescreen be a pain?
May 7, 2007 11:25:58 PM

I have the sceptre 20.1 inch and it has a great picture.
Im sure the samsung has a great picture too.

Dont worry about the 2ms response time, it is a marketing
gimmick.

I havent had any problems with widescreen gaiming.
You should be fine.
May 7, 2007 11:40:13 PM

IcY18 you are right-I think....

I thought it over and you are probly right. So i think I will go for a ocz gamextreme 700W if that can power my system without SLI.

Well since only 2 people recommended me a PSU and everyone said stuff about moniters, can people help me find a better moniter. I am starting to like the samsung. Anyone recommend something else?? I am working on a 20 inch iMac and I guess I could lug a 22 inch LCD screen, because it would be much thinner than an iMac.

BTW what response time do I need for no ghosting?
May 7, 2007 11:44:32 PM

Quote:
So i think I will go for a ocz gamextreme 700W if that can power my system without SLI.

That should work fine.

Quote:
BTW what response time do I need for no ghosting?

Dont even worry about that, the industry,s fastest is 3ms anyway.
you probably wont see any ghosting with a 6ms or higher response time
anyway.

I dont see any and my sceptre is a cheaper brand monitor.
May 7, 2007 11:46:25 PM

Quote:
...And what response time do I need to have no ghosting. The 2ms response time is mainly why I chose the veiwsonic.

As a general rule of thumb, any monitor with 8ms or less response will provide little to no ghosting with gaming, and 4ms is ideal for gaming. 2ms response could be overkill...
May 8, 2007 12:14:44 AM

back to the original topic. I've seen a core2quad, 2x8800gtx's, 4xhdd, 2gb ram, 3 case fans, 5 usb devices and some more powered by a decent 550W supply.

I dont have the link to hand but this was a labs test on a hardware site, they ran it 24/7 for a week without any trouble what-so-ever. A 'normal' pc rarely draws over 350w i believe

As far as psu's go, quality and aperage and number of 12v rails are what get my vote
May 8, 2007 12:49:14 AM

Srry, bad post.
May 8, 2007 12:57:11 AM

Its just robsx2 being his usual namecallin self.
May 8, 2007 1:15:16 AM

Jeeze guys I am feel'n the hate. Can't we all just get along. :lol: 
May 8, 2007 1:16:47 AM

actually, i do apologize, when i must have missed the link, the thing that came up was this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . I was commenting on taht as not being enough,. I must have lost track over the tabs in IE. Going back and looking again, 60A is enough, forget i said anything. I got the wrong link.
May 8, 2007 1:20:53 AM

Quote:
Jeeze guys I am feel'n the hate. Can't we all just get along. :lol: 

Rob or slinrob does in fact know what he is talking about/prettymuch.
he does have what he says he has.

Its just his attitude.

oh he is also a cop 8O or use to be.

wouldnt want to get pulled over by someone with his mentallity.
you would probably get some thing like this.

May 8, 2007 1:23:37 AM

ya, i already apologized in the post above, apparently i got hte wrong link. The one he has is perfectly fine, thought he meant a different power supply. (i mixed up 2 threads). I've seen many people post information randomly that is "Questionable" at best, so when i saw 55 posts, i didn't bother double checking. I apologize again.
May 8, 2007 1:26:24 AM

Quote:

That's a top pick there, I've had my eye on it for a while

That's what I bought. Very good monitor so far. Its also the "S" model for those who think that's important. Of course, that leaves the question, to go SLI/Crossfire or not? Guess I'll have to see how the games work on it. The only problem I've had, per se', is getting used to the wide screen. It does stretch things out of shape a bit when they're meant for square screens.
May 8, 2007 1:32:06 AM

Hey antonwalker,
Man, only a week back, i bought viewsonic vg1930wm that has a response time of 5 ms and I can see no ghossting whatsoever in anything I do(be it gaming or movies or visual studio or maya)...moreover a response time of 2ms is a myth(or a marketing gimmick as you can call it). some people say that 8ms or below is good for gaming,I would say " I dunno about 8 ms but I do know about 5 and it has no ghosting or anything even if you play the games at non native resolutions"...so mate this is my input for monitor....
Now for even one 8800gtx you wont buy a 19" LCD with the resolution of 1440*900...so please see other big monitors also and I recommend viewsonic...........
and happy gaming......... :D 
May 8, 2007 1:36:43 AM

i am liking the samsung, but it would suck to get the a or c seeing how everyone says they have less quality than the s.
May 8, 2007 1:40:15 AM

thats exactly why i didnt go for samsung........
May 8, 2007 2:03:53 AM

Playing FPS games on widescreen is certainly enjoyable but you may not be able to play time strategy games at full screen or the image will look distorted.
May 8, 2007 2:09:32 AM

Quote:
I'd go better cpu first, you've been planning that for a while anyways

I've been buy one piece at a time for a new build. The main things I have left are cpu, motherboard and video card. I figure that after the benches come out next week on the X2900 XT, I can plan on buying that or a 8800 GTS, depending on performance. I just wish that AMD would hurry up and release their new cpu so I could make a rational choice between it or an Intel cpu.
May 8, 2007 2:22:43 AM

Quote:
back to the original topic. I've seen a core2quad, 2x8800gtx's, 4xhdd, 2gb ram, 3 case fans, 5 usb devices and some more powered by a decent 550W supply.
Was the system idling? :roll:
May 8, 2007 9:05:30 AM

well i would hope also its just that in the demo's we all see em running at 1280x720 :( 
May 8, 2007 9:09:08 AM

Quote:
do you think you will play crysis with a 1920x1200 res with 2 gtx's?

Do you not? :roll:

well i do but i dont wanna play with 25 fps :roll:
May 8, 2007 2:32:54 PM

Quote:

I dont have the link to hand but this was a labs test on a hardware site, they ran it 24/7 for a week without any trouble what-so-ever. A 'normal' pc rarely draws over 350w i believe

As far as psu's go, quality and aperage and number of 12v rails are what get my vote

There is a very new article referring to just that, how much power does this system draw?

Core 2 Quad @ 3.5Ghz
2 8800GTXs
Asus Striker Extreme ( most power drawing mobo)
2 hard drives in raid0

the max power draw was 442 watts

While you wouldn't want to run a 500W psu on this thing constantly, any quality psu with accurate ratings of 600W could run this. Needless to say 1000W psu's are quite the hype lately and are more times inefficient because the power load on them is far less than on a 6-700W psu.

Not only on top of that the only time you would ever get that power draw is when your doing stress testing programs and such. No game or program would ever require that combination of power from the cpu or graphics at the same time.

Link is HERE
May 8, 2007 3:17:55 PM

I have this monitor, and it works very very well. A little more pricey than the samsung, but you dont have the whole dynamic contrast thing or have to worry about which submodel you get.
May 8, 2007 4:19:57 PM

Quote:
I have this monitor, and it works very very well. A little more pricey than the samsung, but you dont have the whole dynamic contrast thing or have to worry about which submodel you get.

It doesn't say so in the newegg description, but 3000:1 on a 22" lcd means they're using dynamic contrast. Feel free to cross check that with LG's site.
May 8, 2007 4:32:13 PM

Quote:

It doesn't say so in the newegg description, but 3000:1 on a 22" lcd means they're using dynamic contrast. Feel free to cross check that with LG's site.

Hmmm, I checked their site because I began to wonder myself, and there isn't a single mention of DC being used anywhere. Maybe I missed it, but fromt he reviews I read of the Samsung monitor it seemed like it was their technology to step up 1000:1 to 3000:1 contrast. I have never seen an option for DC on my monitor either, but I could check when i get home. As far as I know its only 3000:1.
May 8, 2007 4:51:56 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily, many of the better monitors like lg's 22" using samsung's s panel (and you wonder where the panel shortage is coming from) have 1:1 mapping, and 4:# rescaling which help with that issue considerably, though I agree it doesn't beat a full screen crt

One thing that surprised me, though I should have checked the measurements ahead of time, was how small the 22" LDCs are. I mean they sound big, but they aren't. Its actually the same height as my 19" LCD, but just a couple inches longer. Even more, its got a smaller screen size than the Sony CRT 22" that it replaced. It is a bit clearer than the CRT, but its biggest advantage is in having less weight, not in screen size. I though of exchanging it back for a 24" model, but those were at least $200 more, so I held off.
May 8, 2007 5:51:55 PM

The point is not that if you can afford 2x8800GTXs you can afford a 1000W psu, the point is that people kicking and screaming like yourself are over exaggerating the power draw of such a system making people think they need a 1000W psu. Why is it that the cold hard fact that a Core 2 Quad @ 3.5Ghz and 2x8800GTXs only draws 442w is so hard to realize. And once again this is under stress testing of both the cpu and the grahpics cards, no such program or game would stress both the cpu and the graphics to 100% utilization let alone one of them to 100% utilization for any decent amount of time.

So 442w is the absolute MAX the system will draw its easily justifiable to say a quality 600W psu would be able to handle that system. Since high end systems like these don't last long, i.e. they get replaced sometimes as quickly as their bought cause their enthusiasts systems, long term use(more than 2 years) isn't even a worry.

i would gladly recommend this psu to run that system Corsair HX620W
May 8, 2007 6:46:07 PM

Quote:
How many names is that now? robsx2, robs88s, g80sli, and now slinrob (have I missed one?)

Does this mean that Rob has been banned, reregistered, banned again, reregistered, etc? If so, is he trying to follow the footsteps of 9 Inch? Just asking, as I haven't kept up on all the news, so to speak.
May 8, 2007 7:02:16 PM

i dont have benches i have video's with the game where he explains the res and other stuff.
May 8, 2007 7:06:22 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily, many of the better monitors like lg's 22" using samsung's s panel (and you wonder where the panel shortage is coming from) have 1:1 mapping, and 4:# rescaling which help with that issue considerably, though I agree it doesn't beat a full screen crt

One thing that surprised me, though I should have checked the measurements ahead of time, was how small the 22" LDCs are. I mean they sound big, but they aren't. Its actually the same height as my 19" LCD, but just a couple inches longer. Even more, its got a smaller screen size than the Sony CRT 22" that it replaced. It is a bit clearer than the CRT, but its biggest advantage is in having less weight, not in screen size. I though of exchanging it back for a 24" model, but those were at least $200 more, so I held off.

thinking the same thing. i want a 24'' but the technology isnt ready yet with input lag and ghost on the 24 inches :cry:  but i think we will see alot of new stuff this year and start of 2008 with oled technology
May 8, 2007 11:02:29 PM

Guys come on stop hate'n on each other.
May 8, 2007 11:29:23 PM

How is it theory to say that a 620W psu can not power 442 watts of power?

Thats like saying my car has a top speed of 150mph but cant go 75mph...

Next please.
May 9, 2007 1:14:18 AM

Quote:
How many names is that now? robsx2, robs88s, g80sli, and now slinrob (have I missed one?)

Does this mean that Rob has been banned, reregistered, banned again, reregistered, etc? If so, is he trying to follow the footsteps of 9 Inch? Just asking, as I haven't kept up on all the news, so to speak.

Pretty much as far as I can tell, I know jake told me he's recieved an ip ban each time, meaning that he must have a ton of computers or something

Ok, now I know. He seems to have a bit of an attitude problem as well. Now we just wait for Jake to ban him again. For the moment, it might be best to just ignore him.
May 9, 2007 2:33:48 AM

I read that review months ago. The Inq proved a point, but even while doing it, they admitted that it would be safest to have a larger psu. At the same time, I'd guess that most people overestimate the wattage they need. Then again, its a bit better to have a few too many watts then a few to few.

Besides, Rob does have a point in asking why people will be willing to spend over a thousand dollars on their graphics cards and then go cheap on the psu that feeds them.
May 9, 2007 3:08:00 AM

I'm not sure why you can't figure out that the point is not the fact that people who buy 8800GTX's for SLi can afford 1000W its the point that there are many people like yourself proclaiming that you better have a 1000W psu to power an 8800GTX when that is simple far from the truth.

as side note: Did you need to show me that picture so you could brag about your e-peen is or what? Seriously find another forum to wonder around your attitude and responses are getting quite old and annoying.
May 9, 2007 3:26:27 AM

Why wont you die!!
!