Tommyt

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
Is it possible to image an old XP machine to a new XP machine? The OSs are the same, but the hardware are not. Would Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image be able to do this?

Thanks in advance.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
first you clone the old drive to the new drive with Acronis True Image then:

The non-ACPI routine.

After you've cloned (not just installed XP) the old drive onto the new hd, install it in the old rig as the primary boot device; unplug the old. Then:

Find out if the new mobo supports non-ACPI operation. Check its' specs; almost all do.

If so, print this out - and good luck!

OLD SYSTEM
Remove and uninstall all the current drivers (video, sound, chipset, ide) from Control Panel - Add/Remove.

Find Device Manager (Start - Run - (type in)devmgmt.msc - Enter). Expand the Computer value - double-click ACPI Uniprocessor PC - driver tab - Update driver.
Choose to "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) - Don't Search.
UNCHECK THE BOX "Show compatible hardware". Select "Standard PC". Click Next & OK. You will get a Restart prompt. NO! "DO NOT RESTART".
While still in D/M (Device Manager), delete the rest of the hardware whose drivers you didn't find in C/P relating to the above list only.
Shut down and do not turn it on until you've completed ALL the hardware swapping in the old rig; or installed the drive in a new machine.

NEW SYSTEM
Turn on and bootup. XP will load & redetect the entire hardware config. Probably will reboot a couple of times.

After you get a quiet desktop, Start - Run - (type in)cmd.exe - Enter

Type this in: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Type: devmgmt.msc

View tab - Show hidden devices. The old stuff will have transparent icons.
Select, right-click and Uninstall all of these EXCEPT the ones inside "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" and "Sound, video and game controllers". Reboot.

Back into D/M - expand the Computer value. Double-click the first Standard PC - driver tab - Update driver. Choose "Install from a list...." - "Don't search....". Uncheck "Show compatible hardware - Select "Advanced....(ACPI) PC". Next - OK - Restart.

XP will now detect again. When done, reboot. Back into D/M - expand Computer - right-click Standard PC - uninstall. Reboot.

Back into D/M and get rid of the transparent icons again, as per three paragraphs above. Reboot.

Check the new mobo cd documentation. You may want to install all the NEW drivers again if that is part of their instruction for XP operating system.

I know it's a lot of steps, but I feel it's much quicker than a clean install with all its' updating & setting stuff up

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Personally I think it's always better to do a clean install when you get a new mobo. This way you're assured there are no residual files and by reactivating Windows after the the new install, XP will recognize all your hard ware, should never be an issue regarding whether your XP is "Genuine"

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I have to disagree on that one g-paw there is no way I would go thru the downloading, installing, setting the options for all my apps just so worst case scenario I have to call ms and get a new key.

all we are doing here is basically telling the XP install to forget all the old components and rescan and recognise the new ones.

I have moved my OS many times with no problems, sure beats reinstall, personally I don't see point in reinstall anyways, unless somebody used the xp's backup and transfer wizard which then leaves duplicate keys and messes everything up.

the only time anybody needs to reinstall their OS is either when an XP repair can't be done or an XP repair does not fix the problem.

but thats just me ;)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
"all we are doing here is basically telling the XP install to forget all the old components and rescan and recognise the new ones." I just don't believe Windows ever forgets. :D Probably part of my thing about a clean install is peace of mind and I try to indulge in my craziness when ever I can :)

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
to each his own, I believe you everybody should do what makes them happy but as for the better way I think moving is better, but again thats just me
winknw3.gif