Problem with accessing Hard Disk

krishcool

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
hi,
i have two hdds in my pc, one is 250 GB Hitachi and the other is 250 GB Western Digital, I have windows xp pro installed on hitachi, there are total of six partitions, three on each hard disk.

the problem is that just a few days back the WD hdd has started showing access denied error when the partition of the drive is double clicked, but the partition can be accessed if i right click it and go to explore. the disk works perfectly all the data can be accessed.

any help on how to enter the partitions by double clicking.....

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
partitioning drivers like that I do not recommend at all.

1. first of all your os drive should be smaller, smaller drives run faster.
2. if you have your os on a smaller drive you can back it up much easier
3. since you have 8 partitions on one drive, if that drive goes bad you lose all info including os. if they are seperate then you don't lose everything all at once.

backup your partitions and put your os on a smaller and a faster drive ;)

krishcool

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
dude i just want to access my partitions my drives are wrking fine, i just want to access my partition on WD by double clicking, thats it !!

Smaller drives do not run faster... that is a myth. If anything, larger drives are faster because they pack more data into a smaller area, making the read / write heads move around less. Most of the "lag" from your hard drive is due to head positioning. The more data you can pack into a given area... the less the heads have to move and the faster your data can be accessed. Of course, the 16MB buffers these large drives come with helps too... ;)

The reason Raptor drives are faster is due to their large cache and high spindle speeds... not because they are small drives. However, newer hard drives have closed the gap on the Raptors to the point that the price premium you pay isn't worth the extra speed. If you buy a nice, fat hard drive with at least 16MB of cache... the speed difference will not be significant enough to make up for the price difference.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
smaller drive read and writes faster then a big drive with lots of info on it ;)

raptor is faster because it turns at 10,000 rpm.

larger drives are faster because they pack more data into a smaller area

really you mean to tell me that a big drive has smaller NTFS blocks then a small drive without anybody touching the settings? now thats the biggest myth I have ever heard.

do explain how the big drive packs more info in the same exact size block as the smaller one we are all ears ;)

plus smaller drive is easier to manage and backup and on seperate drives if the drive itself goes corrupt then you will lose your os and files but on a small drive if the drive goes corrupt then its just your os and if you backed it up then yo won't even notice the difference.

plus a smaller drive for os is cheaper to buy a backup for, smaller drives are cheaper ;)

Oh wise one, then please explain how hard drives haven't gotten any larger physically, yet can store much more information than before? That's right ariel density has increased exponentially. The higher the ariel density, the faster the drive can access data. It has absolutely nothing to do with NTFS block size.

Do you honestly believe that an 80GB hard drive with multiple platters is faster than a 80GB hard drive with a single platter? According to you, the drives should be equal in speed because they are both the same size... however, I think you'll find that the single-platter drive is in fact faster than the multi-platter drive. Why? Ariel density. Block size has nothing to do with it... because you can pack more blocks into a physically smaller area... regardless of their size.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
you are the one talking about platters I never said anything about it. and I never said that in theory you are not correct how ever when you actually go and test it you will find different results then what you are saying as far as 60GB drive goes vs 160GB drive, and I have already mentioned how much easier and faster it is to manage also.

this is all I have to say on this matter, those who understand what I am saying get it and those who don't well lets just say I don't have the time to walk you across the street, either take my word for it or go cross the street yourself and see for yourself. ;)

@Zoron, now if any of that comes across wrong or offending then I apologise because in this case I'm not trying to be, I do get a bit more excited then the next person and I'm told sometimes that comes out wrong ;)

Of course, larger drives with the same ariel density as a smaller drive will take a performance hit... but only once you start filling that drive beyond a certain point.

It's all about the density. ;)