Sign in with
Your question

Windows 98SE on old computer

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 8, 2008 10:41:15 PM

I have a ten year old computer with windows 95. I would like to install Windows 98.
This is the problem. On this computer it is not possible to change
the BIOS in order to boot from the CD.
I have heard that I can download a floppy with the necessary files.
I do not know the steps however.
I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me the necessary
steps to install windows 98

Thansk

More about : windows 98se computer

April 8, 2008 11:08:12 PM

You make a system disk and boot from it. Should be under control panel > add / remove components / system disk or something like that. You could also use sys.com to copy system files to a:\ and just include a cd-rom driver in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files. The much easier way is to 'make boot disk' from any other Win9x platform, though. And just run setup from d:\... I've heard you can run it from inside win95, maybe dos if you exit to it, though that may be a lie.
April 14, 2008 5:05:31 AM

Wait a tick...you'll need a system boot disk for Windows ME, as it's the only one with CD support. Search google for Windows ME boot disk, or, I believe bootdisk.com has it for download as well.

As soon as you get that floppy made, pop it into the computer and restart. Put the Windows 98 CD into the computer at this time. You'll hear the computer boot to floppy. On the screen you'll see an options menu, select "Start Windows With CD Rom Support". Wait for a while, when everything is done you'll be at the A:\ prompt. Type the Drive letter of your optical drive (i.e. D:\) and hit enter. Now that you're on the optical drive prompt, type Setup.exe. The windows 98 CD will start to do its magic from there.

Good luck and have fun

Joe
Related resources
June 24, 2008 8:49:38 PM

Windows 98 startup disk also had CD-ROM support... but the CD was bootable as well. (As long as you have the full CD and not an upgrade)
June 25, 2008 10:33:41 PM

apprentice25 said:
I have a ten year old computer with windows 95. I would like to install Windows 98.
This is the problem. On this computer it is not possible to change
the BIOS in order to boot from the CD.
I have heard that I can download a floppy with the necessary files.
I do not know the steps however.
I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me the necessary
steps to install windows 98

Thansk

www.bootdisk.com

Download a startup disk creator choose the first link at bootdisk.com, [DOS/Windows9X/Me/NT/2K/XP Excellent Bootdisks], download the floppy creator for either Win98SE OEM, or WinME OEM, do not choose the download with No Ramdrive, you'll need the Ramdrive, either 98SE or ME will work, the download is a floppy disk creator, create the floppy disk and boot the machine with the floppy disk.

Watch the process as it begins to startup as it nears the end which will be when you see a flashing A:\> prompt it will tell you the CDROM letter it has recognized its usually the E:\> drive if theres only 1 CDROM drive in the machine, remember that drive letter you will need it later in the booting.

The flashing A:\> prompt is where you'll input commands
first type fdisk and press enter
The purpose of entering fdisk is to delete the present partitions on the HDD and create a new primary DOS partition for installing Win98, now this process is really a simple step by step procedure to get through and after repartitioning the HDD the new partition will have to be formatted and continue on with the Win98 installation.

I do not mind at all typing all this out for you and walking you through it, however I do not want to go through all this for nothing, I need to know I have your attention to continue on? Ryan

Or you can continue on and educate yourself on how to use FDISK and what it does, link provided below.

http://members.aol.com/don5408/drivespace/fdisk.html

Then after using FDISK to delete the existing partitions, and creating a new Primary DOS partition, and restarting the machine taking you back to the A:\> prompt type FORMAT C: and press Enter, it formats the new partition and when it completes takes you back to the A:\> then type CD press Enter, then type E:\ [If E was the CDROM drive letter I mentioned earlier] and press Enter, then type setup and press Enter, and the Win98 setup begins.

Actually this could be a nice learning experience for you, you're installing from scratch so any screwup is fixable.

If the partition is already FAT32 then you could just format it, however if the copy of Win95 previously on the machine was the first release it did not support FAT32 95B & 95C did however, but FDISK will tell you what FAT table and how the HDD is setup.

If you get in trouble you can always PM.
July 6, 2008 2:43:28 PM

surrealdeal said:
NOOB!

Yes you are! But we won't hold that against you.
July 9, 2008 4:14:01 AM

Don't forget the limitations of disk space addressing for older systems.

yea, wait til he wants a linux partition and ntfs removed for all the 1s and 0s!
Kill Disk rules that one.
!