Sign in with
Your question

nOOb to Ubuntu

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 9, 2007 10:04:41 PM

Hi guys,

I've decided that its time to take a look into Linux. Since Dell has started putting Ubuntu 7.04 on its PC's I figured it wouldn't hurt to set up Ubuntu on my PC. I read through the docs at the Ubuntu home page and it seems like it won't be too much more different than XP. But I still have a few Questions I need answers to:

1. I downloaded the AMD64 iso. Is this the correct iso for my PC (AMD64x2 CPU)?

2. I noticed a supported hardware page and found that my mobo isn't listed on it. Will Ubuntu run OK on an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe nForce 4 SLI mobo?

3. Drivers. Will I also need a set of Linux drivers as well for my hardware?

4. Dual booting. I intend to keep my XP install and setup Ubuntu on the same HDD.

Thats all I have for now. Primary use for Ubuntu is to get familiar with Linux OS'es and have a fall back plan in case my XP install gets slammed with a virus.

If I missed anything let me know.

Thanks in advance.

More about : noob ubuntu

a b 5 Linux
June 10, 2007 12:03:31 AM

:-D

Quote:
Hi guys,

I've decided that its time to take a look into Linux. Since Dell has started putting Ubuntu 7.04 on its PC's I figured it wouldn't hurt to set up Ubuntu on my PC. I read through the docs at the Ubuntu home page and it seems like it won't be too much more different than XP. But I still have a few Questions I need answers to:

1. I downloaded the AMD64 iso. Is this the correct iso for my PC (AMD64x2 CPU)?

Yup! Actually the AMD64 iso is for any 64bit x86_64 compatible CPU.

Your AMD64 will run both the i386 and AMD64/x86_64 versions just fine although the x86_64 version will run 25-80% faster over the i386/32bit version. :D 

Quote:

2. I noticed a supported hardware page and found that my mobo isn't listed on it. Will Ubuntu run OK on an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe nForce 4 SLI mobo?

It will run just fine

Quote:

3. Drivers. Will I also need a set of Linux drivers as well for my hardware?

You do not need any special drivers for any devices except maybe the proprietary drivers for your VGA card.

Quote:

4. Dual booting. I intend to keep my XP install and setup Ubuntu on the same HDD.

Dual booting is no problem at all.

Quote:

Thats all I have for now. Primary use for Ubuntu is to get familiar with Linux OS'es and have a fall back plan in case my XP install gets slammed with a virus.

If I missed anything let me know.

Thanks in advance.

GL :-D
!