BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I should have explained my self. I mean after XP in installed I would like to make another partition. I have used partition magic and don't see away to do it without the 3rd party. Bruce

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/

I may be missing something but I think you can only create a partition after XP is installed using XP if you have Unallocated space, if you don't, you have to use a 3rd party software like Partition Magic, which I've found to be well worth the money in that it not only will allow you to create partitions but easily resize them after Windows is installed. Will also let you delete a partition along with some other disk management functions

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
You create your partitions after you boot to the xp install cd and create how many and the size of the partitions and then install the OS. I just thougt that there was a way to do it after windows was installed without a third party software. You are right Partition magic is great. Bruce

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I knew you could create partitions before the XP install but never did because I've used Partition Magic for years. One of the things I like about Partition Magic is that you can see what the partitions will look like after the partition and in addition sooner of later I always end up wanting to change the size of a partition. Ive seen references to freeware that will partition after Windows is installed on this forum but have never tried any of them

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Options for partitioning and formatting your hard disk
You can use the Microsoft Windows XP Setup program or the Fdisk and Format tools to partition and format System and startup partitions.

no you can set partitions via XP CD before install or use disk manager to set partitions after XP is installed ;)