OS Choices menu

sarah_t

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hi,

My boss gave me his old laptop (windows ME) for my daughters to play games on. In September my babysitter's laptop broke and I lent her the old laptop to use for school while hers was being fixed. Her roommate took it and put xp on it for her and then took xp off before she gave it back to me last week.

Now when I start up the laptop, it gives me the OS choices screen, xp or me. If you do nothing, it automatically opens xp and asks for the xp disk. If you hit the down arrow to highlight me, it opens me normally, like it did before I lent it to her.

Is there any way to switch the two options around so it automatically opens me if you do nothing when the OS Choice menu comes up?

Is there any way to totally remove xp from the laptop so it goes back to just having me and that opens with no OS choices menu?

Thanks for your help.

Sarah

You have to edit the boot.ini... something that would be much easier if XP were still on the computer. It should still be possible under ME, but it's been so long since I've used it that I can't remember how it's done. If you had a disk, I'd almost recommend wiping the ME off and replacing it with 98.

Of course, if you don't care about any data on the drive, you have the option of wiping it out completely and reloading ME.