Local News in HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 14, 2004 2:11:16 AM

I was kind of shocked. Our local Fox channel is now broadcasting their
nightly 6 PM and 10 PM *local* news in HDTV. It looks great. All
in-studio shots are HDTV, and the file footage and interview footage is, of
course, not shot with a high-def camera. I was shocked because we are in
the lowly Midwest, and the Big City national news isn't even broadcasting in
HDTV yet.

Here's some information about the scheduled conversion to HDTV for a few
other network shows:

Late Night with Conan O'Brien- O'Brien mentioned on his show one night that
they plan to be begin broadcasting in HDTV in April 2005.

Saturday Night Live- Producer Lorne Michaels mentioned in an article that
this show is preparing for the conversion to HDTV at the start of next
season (October 2005).

Broadcast Nightly News- One HDTV site predicts that NBC will be the first
major nightly news show to broadcast in HDTV sometime in the first quarter
of 2005. Old guy Tom Brokaw is gone, and pretty boy, HDTV-friendly Brian
Williams is now the anchor.

More about : local news hdtv

December 14, 2004 2:11:17 AM

Have you heard anything about David Letterman? Wonder why they aren't HD
since Leno is? Letterman's set looks like it would be more HD friendly than
Leno, I think lol.

"RV" <race1000k_nospam_@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o kpvd.4094$Yj4.3746@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Late Night with Conan O'Brien- O'Brien mentioned on his show one night
that
> they plan to be begin broadcasting in HDTV in April 2005.
>

> Saturday Night Live- Producer Lorne Michaels mentioned in an article that
> this show is preparing for the conversion to HDTV at the start of next
> season (October 2005).
>

> Broadcast Nightly News- One HDTV site predicts that NBC will be the first
> major nightly news show to broadcast in HDTV sometime in the first quarter
> of 2005. Old guy Tom Brokaw is gone, and pretty boy, HDTV-friendly Brian
> Williams is now the anchor.

December 14, 2004 3:44:32 AM

Letterman's had HD cameras working the show for nearly two years now. But
CBS has never gotten around to putting in an HD capable control room!! Go
figure.

"Mike" <ndlnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Have you heard anything about David Letterman? Wonder why they aren't HD
> since Leno is? Letterman's set looks like it would be more HD friendly
> than
> Leno, I think lol.
>
> "RV" <race1000k_nospam_@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o kpvd.4094$Yj4.3746@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> Late Night with Conan O'Brien- O'Brien mentioned on his show one night
> that
>> they plan to be begin broadcasting in HDTV in April 2005.
>>

>> Saturday Night Live- Producer Lorne Michaels mentioned in an article
>> that
>> this show is preparing for the conversion to HDTV at the start of next
>> season (October 2005).
>>

>> Broadcast Nightly News- One HDTV site predicts that NBC will be the first
>> major nightly news show to broadcast in HDTV sometime in the first
>> quarter
>> of 2005. Old guy Tom Brokaw is gone, and pretty boy, HDTV-friendly Brian
>> Williams is now the anchor.

December 15, 2004 4:51:42 AM

Another HDTV Broadcast Network first (I think): Fox is broadcasting a
*reality* show, "The Rebel Billionaire" in 720p HDTV. Before this, I've
only seen selected episodes of reality shows like "Trading Spaces" show up
very sporadically on Discovery HD Theater. I don't think there is any other
reality prime time show being broadcast in HDTV right now.

Since Reality TV is makes up a large part of network prime time shows, this
may be a good sign of things to come.

So why haven't we seen a "Survivor HD" yet? Possibly because producer Mark
Burnett is cheap, and he's going to delay it as long as possible. He also
has indicated in interviews that the HDTV cameras are too sensitive and
fragile to take in the wild right now. Funny, but we remember watching
Jeff Corwin wrestle an anaconda in South America while being filmed with a
"fragile" HDTV camera last year. Huh.

Race
!