Ninja or Freezer Pro 7

PartEleven

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I'm having a problem deciding which heatsink to get. Can anyone recommend a value heatsink that has decent cooling capacity? So far I'm looking at two candidates:

AC Freezer Pro 7 - Lots of people recommend this as a great bang for your buck, but I have noise concerns about that one. Noise is a pretty big factor for me.

Scythe Ninja - Rave reviews and even more recommendations. Expensive though, especially if you want it operating with a 120mm fan.

For the sake of noise, I'm currently leading towards the ninja. To keep costs low, I might use it as a passive cooler without the fan. Would this have problems cooling a e6420 OCed to ~3.2 ghz without a fan? Obviously the ninja is hands-down the better cooler, so please remember to take price into the consideration.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
The ACF7P is actually not very loud with the fan on 100% You can hear it, but I wouldn't call it loud. If you use Speedfan to control it, you will only hear the fan at full load. Most on the time it's very quiet. It's keeps my E4300 about 50C at full load @ 3.0GHz. A E6420 should run cooler than a E4300, so it should be fine at 3.2GHz. And since you can get the ACF7P for about $30shipped, it really is the best bang for the buck. If you want to do more extreme overclocking such as 3.6GHz, you will probably need a better cooler.