How to remove XP dual boot option

Newbie237

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
Ok, so this week end I tried adding a new HDD on my XP machine.
This HDD had 2 partition on it (from a previous XP install on another PC) so I used the XP install CD to basically remove it and create a single partition on it (that's the only way I knew how to do it).
However, while doing that, it ended up creating a dual boot config so that now, when I start my PC, I have to chose which OS to start:
1) The regular XP install
2) The one that never got installed on the new HDD since I only partitionned it.

How can I remove that so that it only boots on the correct HDD ?

Golden_Gun

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
ok, so basically what you did was partially or fully run through the install on the second disk. My advice is to use a partition tool like partition majic and erase the partition on the second disk then recreate one and format that. But what has happened from what i can gather is that the bootloader thinks there are two installs, now that will be more tricky to fix. I'm sure it can be done but without re-installing windoze from scratch on the primary hdd (which would fix it). I'm gonna have to hand over the experts on this forum. :)

donk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Be careful when trying to remove one or both of the operating systems, as in third party programs, if you remove the os system at boot, and remove the wrong one, you may wined up not being able to boot at all. Always remove the os system you don't want once in windows. As to your plite, I have only worked dual boot using Acronis Disk Director Suite, Sorry.