"Native" aspect ratio

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 13, 2004 10:34:26 PM

Hey all,

I'm considering a DLP front projector purchase for my home theater and I'm
trying to find some info on the importance of "Native" aspect ratio.

I think I have my choice boiled down to either a Dell 2300mp or an Infocus
4805.

I've seen a number of reviews about both and have a pretty good idea about
the pros and cons of each, but I'd be happy to hear from anybody out there
who has either one. Or any other suggestions in the $800-1200 price range if
you've got 'em.

So back to my question... Most of the units are capable of switching between
4:3 and 16:9 with the push of a button, so is there any quality loss or
other trade offs if you switch to the non-native AR?

Thanks,

Ben

More about : native aspect ratio

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 5:04:30 AM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:34:26 -0600, "Ben Stewart"
<|||benjstewart|||@msn.com> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I'm considering a DLP front projector purchase for my home theater and I'm
>trying to find some info on the importance of "Native" aspect ratio.
>
>I think I have my choice boiled down to either a Dell 2300mp or an Infocus
>4805.
>
>I've seen a number of reviews about both and have a pretty good idea about
>the pros and cons of each, but I'd be happy to hear from anybody out there
>who has either one. Or any other suggestions in the $800-1200 price range if
>you've got 'em.
>
>So back to my question... Most of the units are capable of switching between
>4:3 and 16:9 with the push of a button, so is there any quality loss or
>other trade offs if you switch to the non-native AR?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ben

I was looking at the infocus website the other day and the replacement
bulbs are about $400 according to them. They quote a long bulb life,
but those are probably always on (never switched) life tests.

As to the "switching to 16:9", I always get a kick out of the
marketing fluff they give you. The fact that they don't spell out
what it's doing always seems like a bad indication.

Marketing departments are full of liars and the biggest one usually
ends up the next company president ;)  Yeah, I've seen it happen.
!