Ram maxxed out in usage

jim888

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
my wife's been complaining for the past day or so that the computer has been running slow, so I finally had time to look at it and this is what I come across: the Memory is Pegged at almost 100% usage

I've got 4 gigs and this is what it looks like right after startup:

Capture-2.png

Capture1.png

I also went into Norton and checked it and apparently my Ram has been like this almost for a month. (I got an SSD and did a clean install and it appears to have run ok for a few days and then you can see its pegged out.

Capture2.png

any Ideas?

jim888

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Ok so I found a program "rammap" and this is what it gave me:
Capture3.png

but when I go to find out what in the world that is this is all I see:

Capture4.png

any one out there know what "Driver Locked" is and how I can disable/reduce its ram usage?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
According to MS, talking about "Driver Locked" - "These are pages that have been locked in physical RAM by a driver. This can be done for small/temporary purposes like I/O or for larger/longer allocations like RAM drives or other large locked memory reservations."

My guess is that you have a process running that has a library of files (such as Windows Media Player) that's automatically loading those files, causing the demand for RAM. Also, if those screens are taken right after boot up, it seems to me there are a few programs that could be taken away to reduce initial RAM usage; Skype, WMP, etc...

So first off run a Disk Cleanup, making sure to also remove any/all system checkpoints (unless you want to keep them) and hibernation files (files/settings that are saved representing the current status of your computer just before standby).

After that, run "msconfig" (but without the " "). Go to the Startup tab and remove Windows Media Player from the list, as well as any other processes that you can do without (Skype, MS Outlook, whatever...).

That'll require a system restart, so see if that makes a change at all. We'll be waiting for feedback!

jim888

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah I tried closing out skype wmp ect...and the "Driver locked" just took up the space...almost immediately. I've already disabled hibernation files, and have NOTHING but bare minimum loading on startup. that being said I finally found the answer! Somewhere along the way a Ram Disk was installed and that was the "driver Locked"

thank you for your help!

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

Awesome! Glad I was able to help...indirectly. Lol. :lol: