Sign in with
Your question

Internet Browser Floppy Disk Install

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 10, 2009 11:57:46 PM

Hi, I have a 1995 IBM ThinkPad 760c. It has a P1, and 32mb's of RAM. I just installed Win95 and the sound card driver. My problem now is finding a internet browser. It has no CD drive, just a 3.5in 1.44mb floppy disk drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
May 11, 2009 8:03:58 PM

You'll have two issues... the first is that I don't believe any modern web browsers will actually run on 95... the newest possible IE you can use is 5.5... and with Firefox, I'm unsure. The second problem is breaking up the download file into pieces small enough to fit on floppy... you could probably do this with something like Winzip, but you would have to do it from another computer. You can't even use USB flash drives because there are no 95 drivers for them... same with USB optical drives I believe.

Bascially, I believe you're stuck. The only way to make that system even remotely usable on the interent would be to install 98SE. Even with that, the amount of RAM is woefully inadequate... most of it would be taken up by even one modern webpage being opened. I'm sorry I can't offer a better suggestion for you... but I think that laptop isn't worth the time or effort. Unless you can find an external optical drive that was designed to work with it, you're not going to be able to make any use of it.

Linux would be the only other suggestion I could make... but you'd have to find a distro that would run well within those hardware specs. I'm not sure any of the Linux desktops would run very well on something that old... you'd be stuck with text and command line.
!