IPAQ storage

a b G Storage
August 3, 2005 2:53:43 AM

Hello,

I have a stupid question but I am not sure if I figured it out or not... I
have an IPAQ hx4705... and when I install programs they usually go to the
"Program Files" folder. Does that mean that they take RAM? .. if I move them
to the "IPAQ File Store" folder, would I get more RAM available? It didn't
look like that since on my main screen (today screen), the little "memory"
icon (showing the RAM chips as logo) did not show a significant increase...
but maybe the programs moved were just not big enough.

The second question is, since I moved them to this Folder, my shortcuts from
the "Start" menu don't work anymore... I guess they point to the wrong
location. Is there a way to change them so that they point to the new
location to be able to execute the programs by tapping them just as before?

Thanks!

More about : ipaq storage

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 3, 2005 3:42:20 PM

When you install programs to the 'default location', they do take up RAM.
You should install all programs to the Ipaq File Store or to an expansion
card (SD or CF). The main exception is utilities that reside on your
today screen, or some other ones, like Wisbar that change major
functionality of your system. As for moving programs you already have,
the best way to do it is to uninstall them, then reinstall them to the
new location.

"vvf" <novvfspam@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I have a stupid question but I am not sure if I figured it out or
> not... I have an IPAQ hx4705... and when I install programs they
> usually go to the "Program Files" folder. Does that mean that they
> take RAM? .. if I move them to the "IPAQ File Store" folder, would I
> get more RAM available? It didn't look like that since on my main
> screen (today screen), the little "memory" icon (showing the RAM chips
> as logo) did not show a significant increase... but maybe the programs
> moved were just not big enough.
>
> The second question is, since I moved them to this Folder, my
> shortcuts from the "Start" menu don't work anymore... I guess they
> point to the wrong location. Is there a way to change them so that
> they point to the new location to be able to execute the programs by
> tapping them just as before?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 4, 2005 2:02:04 AM

For just a little more clarity, when you install a program a dialog box
comes up asking if you want to install to the default location. Say no. Then
you get a dialog box with a dropdown that offers you the default,
file-store, and any memory cards you have installed. There is a check box
on the Add/Remove programs screen (ActiveSync/Tools/Add/Remove Programs)
about installing to default location. It's best not to have that checked,
then you always get a choice.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Jackal24" <jackk@jack.com> wrote in message
> When you install programs to the 'default location', they do take up RAM.
> You should install all programs to the Ipaq File Store or to an expansion
> card (SD or CF). The main exception is utilities that reside on your
> today screen, or some other ones, like Wisbar that change major
> functionality of your system. As for moving programs you already have,
> the best way to do it is to uninstall them, then reinstall them to the
> new location.
>
> "vvf" <novvfspam@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a stupid question but I am not sure if I figured it out or
>> not... I have an IPAQ hx4705... and when I install programs they
>> usually go to the "Program Files" folder. Does that mean that they
>> take RAM? .. if I move them to the "IPAQ File Store" folder, would I
>> get more RAM available? It didn't look like that since on my main
>> screen (today screen), the little "memory" icon (showing the RAM chips
>> as logo) did not show a significant increase... but maybe the programs
>> moved were just not big enough.
>>
>> The second question is, since I moved them to this Folder, my
>> shortcuts from the "Start" menu don't work anymore... I guess they
>> point to the wrong location. Is there a way to change them so that
>> they point to the new location to be able to execute the programs by
>> tapping them just as before?
>>
>> Thanks!

a b G Storage
August 6, 2005 5:26:18 PM

vvf astonished the world with this remark:

> Hello,
>
> I have a stupid question but I am not sure if I figured it out or
not... I
> have an IPAQ hx4705... and when I install programs they usually go to
the
> "Program Files" folder. Does that mean that they take RAM? .. if I move
them
> to the "IPAQ File Store" folder, would I get more RAM available?
Yes, if you install the programs in their default location they take up
RAM, since that is all your machine basically has.
BTW: the iPaq file store is a small portion of RAM reserved for storing
files in, not specificly program files. Since it is only a small portion
of RAM, installing programs there will soon fill that up.
If you're afraid that you'll run out of memoryspace before too long you
might consider installing programs to memorycards (SD or whatever type
yoyr PDA accepts). but it is best to uninstall them and reinstall them
freshly onto those cards.

> The second question is, since I moved them to this Folder, my shortcuts
from
> the "Start" menu don't work anymore... I guess they point to the wrong
> location. Is there a way to change them so that they point to the new
> location to be able to execute the programs by tapping them just as
before?

You're dead right about that. There is a way though I can't guarantee
that it works all the time since some programs use the registry very
intese and those might behave foolishly, but you can always try this:
open explorer and navigate to the program file. Long-click the file and
select "copy". Then navigate to the folder windows\start menu and
longclick on an empty space there (below the list of already present
icons) and select "paste shortcut". A shortcut will be produced, which
you can rename to your liking. Already present out-of-date or out-of-
order-shortcuts can be deleted by looking for them in that same folder,
longclicking them and select "delete".

--

SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 6, 2005 5:26:19 PM

The File Store is not a portion of RAM, it is a portion of ROM. It's size is
dependent on the iPAQ you own. Small, accurately describes it on the 2215
and 4155 (~ 3M). On my 3715, it's 96M. I expect it is beefy on the 4705 as
well, considering the ROM is 128M and the OS is typically around 30 or so,
much like my 3715 and Dell X50v. Perfect place to load programs, leaving
both slots for file storage and/or peripherals.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> vvf astonished the world with this remark:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a stupid question but I am not sure if I figured it out or
> not... I
>> have an IPAQ hx4705... and when I install programs they usually go to
> the
>> "Program Files" folder. Does that mean that they take RAM? .. if I move
> them
>> to the "IPAQ File Store" folder, would I get more RAM available?
> Yes, if you install the programs in their default location they take up
> RAM, since that is all your machine basically has.
> BTW: the iPaq file store is a small portion of RAM reserved for storing
> files in, not specificly program files. Since it is only a small portion
> of RAM, installing programs there will soon fill that up.
> If you're afraid that you'll run out of memoryspace before too long you
> might consider installing programs to memorycards (SD or whatever type
> yoyr PDA accepts). but it is best to uninstall them and reinstall them
> freshly onto those cards.
>

>> The second question is, since I moved them to this Folder, my shortcuts
> from
>> the "Start" menu don't work anymore... I guess they point to the wrong
>> location. Is there a way to change them so that they point to the new
>> location to be able to execute the programs by tapping them just as
> before?
>
> You're dead right about that. There is a way though I can't guarantee
> that it works all the time since some programs use the registry very
> intese and those might behave foolishly, but you can always try this:
> open explorer and navigate to the program file. Long-click the file and
> select "copy". Then navigate to the folder windows\start menu and
> longclick on an empty space there (below the list of already present
> icons) and select "paste shortcut". A shortcut will be produced, which
> you can rename to your liking. Already present out-of-date or out-of-
> order-shortcuts can be deleted by looking for them in that same folder,
> longclicking them and select "delete".
>

> --
>
> SoftSpot
> softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
> "Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
> (Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>
> (just remove the spamstatement
> and one underscore
> to respond personally,
> but please keep it friendly,
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 6, 2005 9:26:48 PM

Sven astonished the world with this remark:

> The File Store is not a portion of RAM, it is a portion of ROM.

I think that you made a tiny mistake here. It has to be RAM memory, since
you can put files in it yourself. And RAM means Random Access Memory.

ROM on the other hand means "Read Only Memory", which means that ROM is
memory you only can read out, but not fill yourself with whatever you
want...

--

SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 6, 2005 9:26:49 PM

> Sven astonished the world with this remark:
>
> > The File Store is not a portion of RAM, it is a portion of ROM.
>
> I think that you made a tiny mistake here. It has to be RAM memory, since
> you can put files in it yourself. And RAM means Random Access Memory.
>
> ROM on the other hand means "Read Only Memory", which means that ROM is
> memory you only can read out, but not fill yourself with whatever you
> want...

But the ROM isn't really a ROM...because we can upgrade the OS
that resides there.

Technically, I think we're talking about flash memory, which
can be set to be Read-Only OR Read-Write, depending on
control registers.

Whether or not the File Store is just a part of the greater
chunk of Flash that's set aside, and made available as Read-Write,
or that it is a seperate "chip" dedicated to the task, it what
we probably do not know.

!