Partition Based XP Installation Problem

Lord of the Fries

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I've recently bought the components for a new system and I'm looking to offload this current one, the cd-rom drive is kaput but no one is going to buy it unless there is at least XP on it, I did a partition to partition install and had it was fine until I put a screen lock program on it that was designed for Windows ME, the OS was completely inaccessible so I cleared the partition (or so I thought) and tried reinstalling it, this did not work however as there appears to be residual information on the partition that is not being cleared, I want to know how to nuke it without killing the other partitions on the drive.

F.Y.I.
There is one hard drive, there are three partitions, one with ME, one with 96kbs on it after clearing it, and one is for storage.

wjc3usa

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

What did you use to clear the partition? XP will install over itself, but you have to force it to. I would use a bootable floppy and then format the partition. Just make sure you are getting rid of the correct partition. Some times Windows will show partitions in a different order than DOS. Lables help to identify which is which.

What is the 96Kb partition for?