Sign in with
Your question

Load OS from different computer?

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 13, 2007 6:20:01 PM

I had a Dell Inspiron laptop that died last year, the hard drive locked up. I bought it about 3 1/2 years ago and it had Windows XP on it.

Someone gave us a Compaq Presario (I think that's the model) that has Windows ME on it. We just bought a wireless router and wireless notebook card and the card isn't compatible with Windows ME. Is there any way for me to take the CD (I'm guessing it came with a CD with Windows XP in case I had to reload) that came with my Dell laptop and load it on the Compaq? If so, any tips?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

More about : load computer

June 13, 2007 7:44:57 PM

It won't work... if you get it to install somehow, the product key won't work. That key is tied to Dell.
m
l
June 14, 2007 1:25:36 PM

Thanks! What about Linux? Do you think the wireless notebook card would work with that?
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2007 1:35:03 PM

It will, but you have to know a bit about how to get it working because most distros don't recognize it seamlessly.
m
l
June 14, 2007 5:50:47 PM

you will have far less in the way of headachs by just buying a new install disk for your system. I had bought a dell only windowsXP disk over the net, (third party) which worked fine, but it was a ( lot ) with numbers that would clear through windows when it came time to activate. In your case it was for a DELL install only disk that had never been cleared for use on anything but DELL, if I am understanding you wright, and if that's the case, ( BUY NEW ), and save yourself the wear and tear.
m
l
!