Can you build notebooks?

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I was just wondering if a person can build thier own notebooks like you can a tower PC. I know I built my PC for about 50% of what the cheapest retailer sells for and just wanted to know if I can get the same savings with a notebook. I have been unable to find much info on this so I am assuming that notebooks are more on the "Must Buy" list.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

jds580s

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
ECS makes a notebook called i-buddie 4. It uses a desktop pentium 4 chip and desktop DDR ram. I've been looking into getting one barebones then finding the best deals on the cpu, ram, and HD.

It has some down sides too though. It uses onboard graphics chip, and there is no internal battery. It's designed to be a portable computer not necessarily for use 'on the go'. A small external battery is available but don't expect much time out of it. Also it produces more heat.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Aren't they making one with the Athlon XP also? I think if it keeps looking like it does for building one I guess I will look at Dell, Gateway, and Sony and see what I can find for fairly cheap ;-/

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

jds580s

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Ya, but as far as I know the XP version isn't out yet. If anyone knows where to get either model with the SXGA+ screen (besides Taiwan) let me know.

sickgenius

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2002
ummm... can u even find a computer or parts that aren't really made in taiwan or in a factory in china that is really owned by Taiwanese companies?

Taiwan pretty much owns the consumer computing production market in the world...

o_O

jds580s

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Sorry, I meant a retail source that wasn't located in Taiwan. The desknotes are made there (obviously) but it seems that no US/EURO places carry the SXGA+ versions.

At least none that I've found.