Missions ...or rather, not

Is is just me? As the months have passed, it seems I do less and less
missions. In particular, after WoW beta made the problem of
overpopulation disappear, I now tend to just solo or duo on the streets.
The bonus XP is simply not worth the hassle of running to some other zone,
navigate through areas full of reds and purples, then search through every
square foot of a complex multi-floor map to make sure I find every villain
and object. It may still give more XP in the end, but since I can't sell
XP for dollars, the main goal for me is not XP but fun. Going through an
enormous cave for the fifth time looking for hidden upper or lower floors
is not fun for me.

Don't even get me started on the missions that require defusing several
bombs at the same time, or missions without working maps. I'm so out of
there - and they can't be dropped either.

good sign." -G
42 answers Last reply
More about missions rather
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Magnus Itland wrote:

    > Is is just me? As the months have passed, it seems I do less and less
    > missions. In particular, after WoW beta made the problem of
    > overpopulation disappear, I now tend to just solo or duo on the streets.
    > The bonus XP is simply not worth the hassle of running to some other zone,
    > navigate through areas full of reds and purples, then search through every
    > square foot of a complex multi-floor map to make sure I find every villain
    > and object. It may still give more XP in the end, but since I can't sell
    > XP for dollars, the main goal for me is not XP but fun.

    I do missions for the storylines. Much more interesting to be saving a
    bunch of lawyers from the Devouring Earth, disovering a strange mutagen,
    getting it analysed by someone and then heading off to try to save some
    more lawyers only to find I'm too late and the head of the law firm's
    been turned into a DE. That's much better than grinding the streets for
    XP for me.

    > Going through an
    > enormous cave for the fifth time looking for hidden upper or lower floors
    > is not fun for me.

    Caves - no problem, the game gives me a map. I use it.
    Never understand why people dislike them.

    > Don't even get me started on the missions that require defusing several
    > bombs at the same time, or missions without working maps. I'm so out of
    > there - and they can't be dropped either.

    I've always been told by my contact if a mission needed more than one
    person and often I just won't take it.

    And I've never found a mission with a broken map, even having done all
    the Striga missions and TFs where I know some people said they found
    broken maps.

    --
    | Victory Server: |
    | Bex - Level 34 Blaster (Assault Rifle/Devices) |

    Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >Is is just me? As the months have passed, it seems I do less and less
    >missions. In particular, after WoW beta made the problem of
    >overpopulation disappear, I now tend to just solo or duo on the streets.
    >The bonus XP is simply not worth the hassle of running to some other zone,
    >navigate through areas full of reds and purples, then search through every
    >square foot of a complex multi-floor map to make sure I find every villain
    >and object. It may still give more XP in the end, but since I can't sell
    >XP for dollars, the main goal for me is not XP but fun. Going through an
    >enormous cave for the fifth time looking for hidden upper or lower floors
    >is not fun for me.

    To some extent i'm with you. I've always been mostly mission based
    since I solo so much, but with the latest alts i've been avoiding
    certain critter types completely - namely vahzilok since I have no toxic
    resists/defense at all.

    I did do the plague mission that gives a badge though.
    Not hot on clockwork missions either since electric attacks drain my
    already strained endurance.

    But then I did pretty much all the missions with Shadeling, and with the
    exception of the "Introducing enemy group X" missions, they're all the
    same.

    I have absolutely NO intention of doing ANY of the parade of AVs
    missions in the 40's (if the alt gets that high.)
    Doing them once is enough to last me for the next decade or so.

    >Don't even get me started on the missions that require defusing several
    >bombs at the same time, or missions without working maps. I'm so out of
    >there - and they can't be dropped either.

    Only had a couple dud maps after I3 came out, including one of the
    Striga missions. The actual landscape was all present, but chunks of
    it wouldn't show on the ingame map at all.
    The only other one was a timed kill-all mission with a section of the
    map unaccessible.

    Xocyll
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    John Parkinson <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> looked up from
    reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
    the signs say:

    >Magnus Itland wrote:
    >
    >> Is is just me? As the months have passed, it seems I do less and less
    >> missions. In particular, after WoW beta made the problem of
    >> overpopulation disappear, I now tend to just solo or duo on the streets.
    >> The bonus XP is simply not worth the hassle of running to some other zone,
    >> navigate through areas full of reds and purples, then search through every
    >> square foot of a complex multi-floor map to make sure I find every villain
    >> and object. It may still give more XP in the end, but since I can't sell
    >> XP for dollars, the main goal for me is not XP but fun.
    >
    >I do missions for the storylines. Much more interesting to be saving a
    >bunch of lawyers from the Devouring Earth, disovering a strange mutagen,
    >getting it analysed by someone and then heading off to try to save some
    >more lawyers only to find I'm too late and the head of the law firm's
    >been turned into a DE. That's much better than grinding the streets for
    >XP for me.

    Especially when you get the same "Oh look, Mr X, head lawyer has turned
    into a devoured" multiple times.
    I think Shadeling fought him 4 times.

    Seems the Devs never took into account that duplicating missions with
    specifically named enemies/NPCs was a bad idea.

    But then I had the Ambassador Zyla mini-arc 3 times as well, 2 of them
    at the same time.

    >> Going through an
    >> enormous cave for the fifth time looking for hidden upper or lower floors
    >> is not fun for me.
    >
    >Caves - no problem, the game gives me a map. I use it.
    >Never understand why people dislike them.

    I don't really mind them but I get why some people do.

    1. Max height heroes end up clipping through the ceiling.
    My penchant for cute 4'9" female melee characters paid off. :)
    Even my male heroes are never more than 6'3" which doesn't clip.

    2. Nova form Kheldians are HORRIBLE in caves because the flight model is
    floaty and keeps trying to go up unless you aim down all the time.
    Aiming down means you can't see very far, especially when the ceiling
    dips down as it does in so many Council tunnels.

    3. Most people (unlike me) don't have the ingame map open all the time,
    and find it's _very_ easy to get lost/confused.

    >> Don't even get me started on the missions that require defusing several
    >> bombs at the same time, or missions without working maps. I'm so out of
    >> there - and they can't be dropped either.
    >
    >I've always been told by my contact if a mission needed more than one
    >person and often I just won't take it.

    There are exceptions.
    When they were introduced most of the time they wouldn't tell you in the
    offering text, just in the text you could refer back to once you
    accepted.
    Since most people don't look at that (having just read the mission
    objective from the contact) the first clue of needing a team was on
    mission entry OR upon clicking the first bomb/computer/other and not
    being able to successfully use the object.

    Even after that got fixed, Timed simultaneous-objective missions would
    just tell you they were timed until after you accepted.

    >And I've never found a mission with a broken map, even having done all
    >the Striga missions and TFs where I know some people said they found
    >broken maps.

    The vampire generators mission map was broken at release - not stopping
    you from going anywhere, but large chunks of the map would not show in
    the ingame map at all.

    Another one I ran into it appeared that a section of hallway had been
    flipped, so the dead end at the far end now had the back of it mid
    hallway with a pitch black wall from the other side.
    I could walk up to the very edge of it, then pan the camera around and
    see what was on the other side, I just couldn't get there.
    Needless to say, I failed that timed kill-all mission.

    Xocyll
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    John Parkinson <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote:
    > Caves - no problem, the game gives me a map. I use it.
    > Never understand why people dislike them.

    A lot of the maps are very difficult until you learn the ropes. I hated
    caves a lot early on. Don't mind them now except for timed kill-alls...
    there's always one goddamned minion hiding in some crevice somewhere.
    Clear the mission in 20 minutes and then spend another 20 carefully
    searching every corner for the sneaky. That happens in the warehouse
    missions, too. BIG hint: there's a little catch area behind some boxes -
    right as you go into the big room, if you keep going straight and drop
    off the edge. Foes get caught in that little alcove and you can't see
    them from any angle except by going in there.

    > And I've never found a mission with a broken map, even having done all
    > the Striga missions and TFs where I know some people said they found
    > broken maps.

    The broken maps were only a minor annoyance. Glad to hear they
    (apparently) fixed them.

    I ran into a couple that appeared to have some phantom rooms outside the
    map area. Searched and searched, and ended up pretty sure it wasn't an
    area that could be gotten to.

    But yes, the navigation map is your friend. I recommend the zoom binds
    listed on HEROICA! if you don't have them, and always zoom in a
    comfortable distance on mission maps. That helps a ton.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 22 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

    John Parkinson <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote:
    >Caves - no problem, the game gives me a map. I use it.
    >Never understand why people dislike them.

    This is a problem that may be idiosyncratic to me, but I have severe
    problems with perception in the caves. Something about the way they're
    rendered confuses my eye, and makes it hard to get around in some
    places.

    -R

    --
    Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / doc@america.net
    http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

    "Rob Wynne" <doc@america.net> wrote in message
    | John Parkinson <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote:
    | >Caves - no problem, the game gives me a map. I use it.
    | >Never understand why people dislike them.
    | >

    | This is a problem that may be idiosyncratic to me, but I have severe
    | problems with perception in the caves. Something about the way they're
    | rendered confuses my eye, and makes it hard to get around in some
    | places.
    |
    | -R

    I think it is because all the walls look so similar in caves (makes for
    lousy relative "internal mapping" by landmarks).

    Maybe if they had some variety on the texture map to indicate distance
    better. A downward sloping tunnel looks like just another wall for the most
    part. I suppose if I had the smaller height character this wouldn't be so
    much an issue except in the difficulty in spotting depth on a brown on brown
    texture. The room I hate the most is the 5 level cave with the ultra-tiny
    room up top that usually holds 3 foes, but is a royal pain to even discover
    if you're a lowbie playing the game for the first few weeks.

    Personally I just call it the "roaming in a cow's lower intestine"
    problem.

    The only ones I do like are the "5th Column"/"Council" maps. They have
    enough visual variety to make it easier to roam in. The only room I hate on
    those maps is the one with 3 pools on top of each other. It is too easy to
    loose the other players.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <pT_Xd.968$6r1.3620@eagle.america.net>, Rob Wynne wrote:
    > John Parkinson <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote:
    >>Caves - no problem, the game gives me a map. I use it. Never
    >>understand why people dislike them.
    >
    > This is a problem that may be idiosyncratic to me, but I have
    > severe problems with perception in the caves. Something about
    > the way they're rendered confuses my eye, and makes it hard to
    > get around in some places.

    The undulating walls, ceilings and shifting elevation make me
    lose my sense of direction quickly. I have to look at the map a
    lot to maintain it.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    When you're in the public eye, it's wrong to cheat on someone,

    "John Parkinson" <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Magnus Itland wrote:
    >
    >> Is is just me? As the months have passed, it seems I do less and less
    >> missions. In particular, after WoW beta made the problem of
    >> overpopulation disappear, I now tend to just solo or duo on the streets.
    >> The bonus XP is simply not worth the hassle of running to some other
    >> zone,

    I do more now then when i quit back last year

    I hate street hunting now
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
    > Is is just me? As the months have passed, it seems I do less and less
    > missions. In particular, after WoW beta made the problem of
    > overpopulation disappear, I now tend to just solo or duo on the streets.
    > The bonus XP is simply not worth the hassle of running to some other zone,
    > navigate through areas full of reds and purples, then search through every
    > square foot of a complex multi-floor map to make sure I find every villain
    > and object. It may still give more XP in the end, but since I can't sell
    > XP for dollars, the main goal for me is not XP but fun. Going through an
    > enormous cave for the fifth time looking for hidden upper or lower floors
    > is not fun for me.
    >
    > Don't even get me started on the missions that require defusing several
    > bombs at the same time, or missions without working maps. I'm so out of
    > there - and they can't be dropped either.
    >
    > --
    > "When someone starts bragging about how much debt they have, it's not a
    > good sign." -G

    Given the choice, I would rather do a mission than street-hunt. Even though
    missions are less efficient from an xp/minute standpoint, I like having some
    kind of objective to accomplish besides just getting to level "X". I have
    to admit that the fast-paced XP gain of street hunting can be somewhat
    addictive, though, particularly when I've got a scrapper going on a tear in
    Creys Folly or the Rikti Crash Site.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On 10 Mar 2005 15:00:59 GMT, John Parkinson
    <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote:

    > Caves - no problem, the game gives me a map. I use it.
    > Never understand why people dislike them.

    They are not a problem for me as long as they stay on one floor or has
    some clear delimiter between floors. But when you have three layers of
    cave, all looking pretty much the same, and the map only shows one of them
    .... that's a problem. Warehouses are easier in that each floor has a
    pretty obvious entry and exit point, and I find their floor plan easier to
    memorize, being more familiar. Even then I don't dig warehouses too much
    either. Plus, I dislike caves in real life too.

    Another point may be that I like to have a vertical escape route. Almost
    all my characters at level 14 choose flight, a couple superjump, one
    teleport and so far zero superspeed. I'm telling myself that one day I'll
    try it. ^_^*

    good sign." -G
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <opsnlb6uawb52ai9@news.online.no>, Magnus Itland wrote:
    > Another point may be that I like to have a vertical escape
    > route. Almost all my characters at level 14 choose flight, a
    > couple superjump, one teleport and so far zero superspeed. I'm
    > telling myself that one day I'll try it. ^_^*

    Don't bother. It pretty much sux.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    When you're in the public eye, it's wrong to cheat on someone,
    unless you're very careful. If you're normal and no one's going
    to know, then do it. --Paris Hilton
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
    >> Almost all my characters at level 14 choose flight, a
    >> couple superjump, one teleport and so far zero superspeed. I'm
    >> telling myself that one day I'll try it. ^_^*

    > Don't bother. It pretty much sux.

    Yer crazy. A fast travel power that has almost zero endurance hit when
    slotted with an (that's one) End Red *AND* provides excellent stealth?
    Can't live without it. I've looked at flight a couple of times, but the
    need for slotting and the lack of stealth make it much more down than SS.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 24 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <Xns96197A594A9Anitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
    Shenanigunner wrote:
    > Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
    >>> Almost all my characters at level 14 choose flight, a couple
    >>> superjump, one teleport and so far zero superspeed. I'm
    >>> telling myself that one day I'll try it. ^_^*
    >
    >> Don't bother. It pretty much sux.
    >
    > Yer crazy. A fast travel power that has almost zero endurance
    > hit when slotted with an (that's one) End Red *AND* provides
    > excellent stealth? Can't live without it. I've looked at flight
    > a couple of times, but the need for slotting and the lack of
    > stealth make it much more down than SS.

    No WAY! Super Speed puts the X in sux. ;)

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
    > No WAY! Super Speed puts the X in sux. ;)

    Just as Flight puts the F in Fatigued (alla time) and Facedown in the Gum
    Wrappers. :) :) :)

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 24 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <Xns961981A4AF44Anitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
    Shenanigunner wrote:
    > Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
    >> No WAY! Super Speed puts the X in sux. ;)
    >
    > Just as Flight puts the F in Fatigued (alla time) and Facedown in the Gum
    > Wrappers. :) :) :)

    If you can spare the powers for it, getting both Superspeed (for
    excellent early-game maneuverability, low cost and STEALTH) and Flight
    (for verticality as zones and missions become more of a pain to
    navigate) is the ideal. Excellent maneuverability in all situations.

    If you're not real interested in most of the power pools, having the
    Speed pool (Hasten, SS), the Flight pool (Hover) and the Teleport pool
    (Recall, Teleport) is a superb combination that offers the best of all
    possible worlds as far as travelling goes.

    SS > Flight. SS + Flight > All.

    --
    --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:33:39 +0000 (UTC), sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:

    >In article <Xns961981A4AF44Anitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
    >Shenanigunner wrote:
    >> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
    >>> No WAY! Super Speed puts the X in sux. ;)
    >>
    >> Just as Flight puts the F in Fatigued (alla time) and Facedown in the Gum
    >> Wrappers. :) :) :)
    >
    >If you can spare the powers for it, getting both Superspeed (for
    >excellent early-game maneuverability, low cost and STEALTH) and Flight
    >(for verticality as zones and missions become more of a pain to
    >navigate) is the ideal. Excellent maneuverability in all situations.

    I used to have the philosophy that SS was great because I usually
    planned to take Hasten, and it was just inefficient to take any other
    travel power. However, I've gotten so fed up with Hasten, and the
    various problems it has (lack of fine control being the number one
    problem) that I've respecced it out of every one of my alts, not to
    mention my main. (I know it sounds funny, but I can't tell you how
    many times I tried getting on the ferry to PI with SS, and ended up
    overshooting it and falling into thw water instead).

    Also, I've had a growing love for Air Superiority. When I first
    started playing the game, the general consensus was that Air
    Superiority was a really bad power. What's funny is that I noticed a
    general change in that viewpoint right after I discovered for myself
    just how good it actually was. So that gives yet another point in
    Fly's favor. -Graham
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner wrote:

    > Yer crazy. A fast travel power that has almost zero endurance hit when
    > slotted with an (that's one) End Red *AND* provides excellent stealth?
    > Can't live without it. I've looked at flight a couple of times, but the
    > need for slotting and the lack of stealth make it much more down than SS.

    Actually it has the smallest stealth effect in the game. If you want to
    avoid mobs, flying over them is still the best way to do it.

    SS's speed is negated by its need to deal with terrain. Adding Combat
    Jumping and Hurdle helps, but that's two movement powers (assuming Hurdle is
    "free" because you're going to need two choices from Fitness for Stamina anyway).

    --
    Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
    #include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

    "And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
    when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Graham Zaretsky <grahamz@ameritech.net> wrote:
    > I used to have the philosophy that SS was great because I usually
    > planned to take Hasten, and it was just inefficient to take any other
    > travel power. However, I've gotten so fed up with Hasten, and the
    > various problems it has (lack of fine control being the number one
    > problem) that I've respecced it out of every one of my alts, not to
    > mention my main. (I know it sounds funny, but I can't tell you how
    > many times I tried getting on the ferry to PI with SS, and ended up
    > overshooting it and falling into thw water instead).

    Uh... I'm lost. Hasten doesn't have jack to do with speeding up Super
    Speed, or "fine control" on anything at all. It simply boosts your
    recharge time about 35% across the board.

    Never drop a Run Speed in Super Speed, or slot it with anything but one
    End Reducer in in the default slot. Adding speed to SS does indeed make
    it jerky and very hard to control. With no speed boosts, it does take
    something of a fine touch in close situations, but nothing extraordinary.

    > Also, I've had a growing love for Air Superiority.

    Isn't AS just a sort of melee attack with some range for flying targets?
    Is it of much use to a damage-dealing alt? I can see where a Defender or
    Controller might love it, and maybe Scrapper/Tanks without ranged powers
    (gawd, I hate fighting Sky Raiders as a tank - blasting at them is much
    more fun) but another middlin' strike power doesn't seem useful enough to
    waste a power slot on, mostly.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 25 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Graham Zaretsky <grahamz@ameritech.net> wrote:
    >> I used to have the philosophy that SS was great because I usually
    >> planned to take Hasten, and it was just inefficient to take any other
    >> travel power. However, I've gotten so fed up with Hasten, and the
    >> various problems it has (lack of fine control being the number one
    >> problem) that I've respecced it out of every one of my alts, not to
    >> mention my main. (I know it sounds funny, but I can't tell you how
    >> many times I tried getting on the ferry to PI with SS, and ended up
    >> overshooting it and falling into thw water instead).
    >
    >Uh... I'm lost. Hasten doesn't have jack to do with speeding up Super
    >Speed, or "fine control" on anything at all. It simply boosts your
    >recharge time about 35% across the board.
    >
    >Never drop a Run Speed in Super Speed, or slot it with anything but one
    >End Reducer in in the default slot. Adding speed to SS does indeed make
    >it jerky and very hard to control. With no speed boosts, it does take
    >something of a fine touch in close situations, but nothing extraordinary.

    It's also the most prone to cause choppiness of the powers, with SJ a
    close second since it forces a lot of new information loads.

    >> Also, I've had a growing love for Air Superiority.
    >
    >Isn't AS just a sort of melee attack with some range for flying targets?
    >Is it of much use to a damage-dealing alt? I can see where a Defender or
    >Controller might love it, and maybe Scrapper/Tanks without ranged powers
    >(gawd, I hate fighting Sky Raiders as a tank - blasting at them is much
    >more fun) but another middlin' strike power doesn't seem useful enough to
    >waste a power slot on, mostly.

    It's hands down the best pool power attack there is.
    Same animation as bone crusher, same damage as thunderkick/cak/energy
    punch, and it has a special knockdown.
    By special I mean this - unless the mob is immune/resistant to
    knockdown/back, AS has a 100% knockdown rate if timed right.
    As long as the enemy isn't doing an animation when you hit, down he
    goes.

    With hasten, this can end up with the critter getting up just in time to
    be knocked down again, so it never gets to attack at all.

    The damage reduction this can give is incredibly useful

    It's also -fly, so hitting fliers knocks them out of the sky, although
    the attack itself has no more range than any other standard melee
    attack.

    Xocyll
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <Xns961A573E9FCDCnitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
    Shenanigunner wrote:
    > Graham Zaretsky <grahamz@ameritech.net> wrote:
    >> Also, I've had a growing love for Air Superiority.
    >
    > Isn't AS just a sort of melee attack with some range for flying targets?

    No, it's a single-target melee attack with an 80% or so knockdown
    chance, that will also ground flyers.

    It has the same stats as Thunder Kick, but with a slightly longer
    animation.

    > Is it of much use to a damage-dealing alt?

    Yes, it can be.

    > I can see where a
    > Defender or Controller might love it, and maybe Scrapper/Tanks
    > without ranged powers (gawd, I hate fighting Sky Raiders as a
    > tank - blasting at them is much more fun) but another middlin'
    > strike power doesn't seem useful enough to waste a power slot
    > on, mostly.

    Give it a try on test. You may change your mind.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner wrote:
    > Isn't AS just a sort of melee attack with some range for flying targets?
    > Is it of much use to a damage-dealing alt? I can see where a Defender or
    > Controller might love it, and maybe Scrapper/Tanks without ranged powers
    > (gawd, I hate fighting Sky Raiders as a tank - blasting at them is much
    > more fun) but another middlin' strike power doesn't seem useful enough to
    > waste a power slot on, mostly.

    It's decently fast and a high chance of knockdown. The usefulness of
    knockdown really can't be overstated for many builds, both in PvE and in
    the upcoming PvP stuff.

    And if you want Flight as a travel power, but are never going to have a
    use for Hover, then, hey, why not?

    --
    --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of
    scholars remain for an eternity." - Ulughbek
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:06:31 +0000 (UTC), sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:

    >What, you don't want to take Hasten? *long pause* Okaaaaay...
    I typed that and sent it too fast. I meant that I don't want to take
    SS. I respecced it out of all of my characters. I love hasten, and
    it was really the only reason why I took SS to begin with.

    BTW, almost every single person in my SG did exactly the same thing as
    I did -- they took SS as their first travel power, then hated it so
    much that they respecced out of it at their earliest opportunity. I
    suppose its an acquired taste. The only people I know who did not
    respec out of it were those who never took it to begin with.

    As far as taking two travel powers, its not really a great option for
    many characters, scrappers, in particular. Your first travel power is
    a necessity -- the second one is really a luxury that could be better
    used by taking one of your defensive abilities. I know SR in
    particular is a pretty tight fit as it is, which is why I initially
    took SS (so I could also take all my defensive abilities). Its even
    worse with Fly, unless you can live with only single-slotting it. I
    can see maybe a defender or blaster doing something like that, but not
    a scarpper (at least not a good one). I'm not too sure about
    controllers or tanks, since I have the least experience with those
    ATs.

    -Graham
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Graham Zaretsky wrote:

    > As far as taking two travel powers, its not really a great option for
    > many characters, scrappers, in particular. Your first travel power is
    > a necessity -- the second one is really a luxury that could be better
    > used by taking one of your defensive abilities. I know SR in
    > particular is a pretty tight fit as it is, which is why I initially
    > took SS (so I could also take all my defensive abilities). Its even
    > worse with Fly, unless you can live with only single-slotting it. I
    > can see maybe a defender or blaster doing something like that, but not
    > a scarpper (at least not a good one). I'm not too sure about
    > controllers or tanks, since I have the least experience with those
    > ATs.

    43 Kat/SR, Fly has three slots. No problem, even with my old toggle-based
    build (I've switched to a perma-Hasten/Elude build...just got tired of beating
    my head against the wall. If the devs won't fix clearly broken powers, I'll
    abuse them like everyone else.)

    There is some debate as to whether or not you even need the third slot. Some
    say Fly hits its cap with two post-40. The devs haven't commented on flight
    speed since around the end of beta, AFAIK, so the issue hasn't been settled.

    --
    Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
    #include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

    "And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
    when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:58:11 +0000 (UTC), sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:

    >In article <Xns961A573E9FCDCnitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
    >Shenanigunner wrote:
    >> Isn't AS just a sort of melee attack with some range for flying targets?
    >> Is it of much use to a damage-dealing alt? I can see where a Defender or
    >> Controller might love it, and maybe Scrapper/Tanks without ranged powers
    >> (gawd, I hate fighting Sky Raiders as a tank - blasting at them is much
    >> more fun) but another middlin' strike power doesn't seem useful enough to
    >> waste a power slot on, mostly.
    >
    >It's decently fast and a high chance of knockdown. The usefulness of
    >knockdown really can't be overstated for many builds, both in PvE and in
    >the upcoming PvP stuff.
    >
    >And if you want Flight as a travel power, but are never going to have a
    >use for Hover, then, hey, why not?

    The 80% knockdown + really fast refrehs is really incredibly useful
    for dealing with certain dangerous opponents (like higher level
    sappers, and Fake Nemesis). AS refreshes fast enough that you can use
    it every second or third attack (at least with katana) if you need to.
    It's also good to use against runners. I don't use that tactic in
    every single combat, but when I need it, I can't overstate its
    effectiveness.

    Furthermore, I was actually able to knock one AV (Nightstar) out of
    the sky using it and couild keep him grounded, so that our
    vertically-challenged tank could restore agro on him. Its hardly
    surprising that I couldn't actually knock him on his back using it,
    but I was very pleased that I could at least knock him to the ground.

    -Graham
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> looked up from reading
    the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
    signs say:

    >Graham Zaretsky wrote:
    >
    >> As far as taking two travel powers, its not really a great option for
    >> many characters, scrappers, in particular. Your first travel power is
    >> a necessity -- the second one is really a luxury that could be better
    >> used by taking one of your defensive abilities. I know SR in
    >> particular is a pretty tight fit as it is, which is why I initially
    >> took SS (so I could also take all my defensive abilities). Its even
    >> worse with Fly, unless you can live with only single-slotting it. I
    >> can see maybe a defender or blaster doing something like that, but not
    >> a scarpper (at least not a good one). I'm not too sure about
    >> controllers or tanks, since I have the least experience with those
    >> ATs.
    >
    > 43 Kat/SR, Fly has three slots. No problem, even with my old toggle-based
    >build (I've switched to a perma-Hasten/Elude build...just got tired of beating
    >my head against the wall. If the devs won't fix clearly broken powers, I'll
    >abuse them like everyone else.)
    >
    > There is some debate as to whether or not you even need the third slot. Some
    >say Fly hits its cap with two post-40. The devs haven't commented on flight
    >speed since around the end of beta, AFAIK, so the issue hasn't been settled.

    There was a dev post on the forums some months back about fly that said
    3 flight speed enhances at level 40 reaches the flight speed cap.

    I know I definitely saw an increase in speed going from 2 to 3 post 40
    while mapping the shard.

    Xocyll
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:
    > Teleport is a gigantic pain in the butt as a primary travel power
    > until you get Stamina and put some range slots in it.

    I only use TP as a transport power over rough ground - it's very nice for
    getting from one side of multilevel zones like Skyway, and of course for
    places like Boomtown and Faultline. But as a primary travel power? Nah.
    SS does that fine.

    > SS+Teleport is extremely handy as well, for that matter. Never have to
    > wait on those slow teammates again. Zip, Recall, done.

    Yep. Shen has TP, Recall Friend, TP Foe, SS and Hurdle. Damn few places I
    can't get quickly and with little End cost.

    > What, you don't want to take Hasten? *long pause* Okaaaaay...

    Exxxxxactly. Is there any build for which Hasten isn't a top priority?

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 25 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:
    >> Teleport is a gigantic pain in the butt as a primary travel power
    >> until you get Stamina and put some range slots in it.
    >
    >I only use TP as a transport power over rough ground - it's very nice for
    >getting from one side of multilevel zones like Skyway, and of course for
    >places like Boomtown and Faultline. But as a primary travel power? Nah.
    >SS does that fine.
    >
    >> SS+Teleport is extremely handy as well, for that matter. Never have to
    >> wait on those slow teammates again. Zip, Recall, done.
    >
    >Yep. Shen has TP, Recall Friend, TP Foe, SS and Hurdle. Damn few places I
    >can't get quickly and with little End cost.
    >
    >> What, you don't want to take Hasten? *long pause* Okaaaaay...
    >
    >Exxxxxactly. Is there any build for which Hasten isn't a top priority?

    Quite a few actually.

    If you have fast cycling attacks and aren't reliant on slow recycling
    alternate powers hasten is completely optional.

    My original build of kraiisahka didn't have hasten by level 26, and even
    the post respec version didn't take it till 28.

    Energy melee tanks and claw scrappers in particular don't really need
    hasten for their attacks, though it can be helpful later on with the
    slow cycling big hit attacks.

    Xocyll
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    > It's also the most prone to cause choppiness of the powers...

    I occasionally get some chop and less frequently some rubberbanding, but
    never enough to bother me. I don't know how much of it has to do with
    system/video speed and how much depends on game update rate - I have a
    2.8GHz system with a gig of RAM, a 6800GT video system and 768k (fixed)
    DSL, so maybe I'm not as prone to system and connection lag issues.

    > It's hands down the best pool power attack there is.

    Hmm. Maybe I'll spec it in at some point. Thanks to all for the comments on
    it.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 25 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >> It's also the most prone to cause choppiness of the powers...
    >
    >I occasionally get some chop and less frequently some rubberbanding, but
    >never enough to bother me. I don't know how much of it has to do with
    >system/video speed and how much depends on game update rate - I have a
    >2.8GHz system with a gig of RAM, a 6800GT video system and 768k (fixed)
    >DSL, so maybe I'm not as prone to system and connection lag issues.

    I have a slower card, slower system, and most importantly in regards to
    this, dialup.
    The amount of information that needs to be passed from server to client
    can easily saturate dialup bandwidth when moving quickly through a zone
    unless it's a fairly empty zone.

    Superspeed is in some regards the worst for this since it's the fastest,
    but SJ can be fairly bad too - especially in crowded areas like around
    Ms Liberty or the Talos Train station.

    For outright nausea inducing choppiness, SJ is the worst since it has
    vertical and instead of a smooth parabola you get a saw-toothed one as
    you stop jumping and start falling, only to start jumping again in
    mid-air.

    /
    /|/
    /|/
    /

    Fly, although the slowest, is the most lag tolerant travel power.

    >> It's hands down the best pool power attack there is.
    >
    >Hmm. Maybe I'll spec it in at some point. Thanks to all for the comments on
    >it.

    You won't regret it.

    It has only two real downsides.
    1. It's smashing only.
    2. It's (I think) the only attack in existence that can't be slotted
    with a recharge reducer, making hasten the only way to speed it's
    cycling.

    Xocyll
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:25:36 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:

    >> What, you don't want to take Hasten? *long pause* Okaaaaay...
    >
    >Exxxxxactly. Is there any build for which Hasten isn't a top priority?

    Roboneko Mk 1.3, my Claw/Regen scrapper, took Hasten but then respecced
    out of it. It's not that it wasn't useful, but with Strike, Slash,
    Focus, Eviscerate, Shockwave and Boxing, she rarely runs out of attacks,
    and the alternative power pools were better. The pools I took were
    Concealment for Stealth, which allows her to reliably fight small groups
    with no adds, Fighting for Tough and Weave, whose advantages should be
    obvious, Leaping for Combat Jumping and Super Jump, and Fitness, because
    Stamina is absolutely essential when running so many toggles.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <ndbg311f1lprqqat3s2a1j5n28qo8auqga@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    > Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    > entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
    > say:
    >
    >>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >>> It's also the most prone to cause choppiness of the powers...
    >>
    >>I occasionally get some chop and less frequently some rubberbanding, but
    >>never enough to bother me. I don't know how much of it has to do with
    >>system/video speed and how much depends on game update rate - I have a
    >>2.8GHz system with a gig of RAM, a 6800GT video system and 768k (fixed)
    >>DSL, so maybe I'm not as prone to system and connection lag issues.
    >
    > I have a slower card, slower system, and most importantly in
    > regards to this, dialup.

    That's my main problem with Super Speed, too. It's not the travel
    power for those with clogged computer arteries. Although I'm on
    broadband, my weak computer drop's my frame rate to the point of
    disorientation when trying to use super speed.

    On Air Superiority:

    >>Hmm. Maybe I'll spec it in at some point. Thanks to all for the
    >>comments on it.
    >
    > You won't regret it.
    >
    > It has only two real downsides.
    > 1. It's smashing only.
    > 2. It's (I think) the only attack in existence that can't be
    > slotted with a recharge reducer, making hasten the only way to
    > speed it's cycling.

    I didn't know that. Interesting!

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    Some days you are going to be some place. Some days you can be

    In article <Xns961A92C3FE7EDnitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
    Shenanigunner wrote:
    >> What, you don't want to take Hasten? *long pause* Okaaaaay...
    >
    > Exxxxxactly. Is there any build for which Hasten isn't a top
    > priority?

    Any build that relies on fast recharging attacks generally won't
    get as much benefit from it as those that use slow recharging
    ones, because Hasten increases activation time congestion almost
    as much as it increases recharge time for some powers.

    But even in that case Hasten is still a beneficial power; the
    benefit just shrinks. At some point, 6-slotting some other power
    instead might prove more tempting.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner wrote:
    > sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:
    >> What, you don't want to take Hasten? *long pause* Okaaaaay...
    >
    > Exxxxxactly. Is there any build for which Hasten isn't a top priority?

    Bubble defenders.

    --
    --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of
    scholars remain for an eternity." - Ulughbek
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 16 Mar 2005 14:01:27 GMT,
    Anno Domini:

    >In article <ndbg311f1lprqqat3s2a1j5n28qo8auqga@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    >> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    >> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
    >> say:

    >>>I occasionally get some chop and less frequently some rubberbanding, but
    >>>never enough to bother me. I don't know how much of it has to do with
    >>>system/video speed and how much depends on game update rate - I have a
    >>>2.8GHz system with a gig of RAM, a 6800GT video system and 768k (fixed)
    >>>DSL, so maybe I'm not as prone to system and connection lag issues.
    >>
    >> I have a slower card, slower system, and most importantly in
    >> regards to this, dialup.
    >
    >That's my main problem with Super Speed, too. It's not the travel
    >power for those with clogged computer arteries. Although I'm on
    >broadband, my weak computer drop's my frame rate to the point of
    >disorientation when trying to use super speed.

    Don't use TP whatever you do then guys! ;-)

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <tl3h31dhn44hti2ieqlktumcie4p0vg6jf@4ax.com>, Nostromo wrote:
    > Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 16 Mar 2005 14:01:27 GMT,
    > Anno Domini:
    >
    >>In article <ndbg311f1lprqqat3s2a1j5n28qo8auqga@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    >>> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    >>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
    >>> say:

    >>> I have a slower card, slower system, and most importantly in
    >>> regards to this, dialup.
    >>
    >>That's my main problem with Super Speed, too. It's not the travel
    >>power for those with clogged computer arteries. Although I'm on
    >>broadband, my weak computer drop's my frame rate to the point of
    >>disorientation when trying to use super speed.
    >
    > Don't use TP whatever you do then guys! ;-)

    Ah, well, TP works fine. I think TP lag is caused mostly by
    network lag.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    I make love to pressure. --Stephen Jackson

    Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 16 Mar 2005 14:01:27 GMT,
    >Anno Domini:
    >
    >>In article <ndbg311f1lprqqat3s2a1j5n28qo8auqga@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    >>> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    >>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
    >>> say:

    >>> I have a slower card, slower system, and most importantly in
    >>> regards to this, dialup.
    >>
    >>That's my main problem with Super Speed, too. It's not the travel
    >>power for those with clogged computer arteries. Although I'm on
    >>broadband, my weak computer drop's my frame rate to the point of
    >>disorientation when trying to use super speed.
    >
    >Don't use TP whatever you do then guys! ;-)

    Strangely enough, TP _can_ work fine, since there's no intermediate
    information to be sent.
    It certainly helps to use a good teleport bind that removes most of the
    HUD though.
    Any network lag though and it's plummeting time (sounds like something a
    teleporting Ben Grimm might say.)

    Xocyll
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >In article <ndbg311f1lprqqat3s2a1j5n28qo8auqga@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    >> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    >> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
    >> say:

    >>>I occasionally get some chop and less frequently some rubberbanding, but
    >>>never enough to bother me. I don't know how much of it has to do with
    >>>system/video speed and how much depends on game update rate - I have a
    >>>2.8GHz system with a gig of RAM, a 6800GT video system and 768k (fixed)
    >>>DSL, so maybe I'm not as prone to system and connection lag issues.
    >>
    >> I have a slower card, slower system, and most importantly in
    >> regards to this, dialup.
    >
    >That's my main problem with Super Speed, too. It's not the travel
    >power for those with clogged computer arteries. Although I'm on
    >broadband, my weak computer drop's my frame rate to the point of
    >disorientation when trying to use super speed.

    SS can make you sick too, but seeing flame trails in front of you as you
    get reset back along your path is less nausea inducing than the same
    thing happening with SJ. Vertical and horizontal hiccups are very
    disorienting.

    >On Air Superiority:
    >
    >>>Hmm. Maybe I'll spec it in at some point. Thanks to all for the
    >>>comments on it.
    >>
    >> You won't regret it.
    >>
    >> It has only two real downsides.
    >> 1. It's smashing only.
    >> 2. It's (I think) the only attack in existence that can't be
    >> slotted with a recharge reducer, making hasten the only way to
    >> speed it's cycling.
    >
    >I didn't know that. Interesting!

    I can even see the reason for it too, since it's almost TOO good as it
    is. If you could shove a few rechargers in it you could bring it's
    cycle time down so you could cycle _just_it_ continuously and keep a
    baddie permanently out of action.

    The low damage you'd do wouldn't be as much of a concern if you had the
    end to go long enough and did enough damage to kill it eventually.
    Bring a friend along with good damage and it's even less of a concern.

    Xocyll
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 17 Mar 2005 14:19:48 GMT,
    Anno Domini:

    >> Don't use TP whatever you do then guys! ;-)
    >
    >Ah, well, TP works fine. I think TP lag is caused mostly by
    >network lag.

    Well, either PC or inet lag. But if you have even a bit of either it's a
    royal pain in the arse!

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <vfpj3153c4mpnm86h70hj7mpdkkqhqbmc3@4ax.com>, Nostromo wrote:
    > Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 17 Mar 2005 14:19:48 GMT,
    > Anno Domini:
    >
    >>> Don't use TP whatever you do then guys! ;-)
    >>
    >>Ah, well, TP works fine. I think TP lag is caused mostly by
    >>network lag.
    >
    > Well, either PC or inet lag. But if you have even a bit of
    > either it's a royal pain in the arse!

    My one TP character always goes high in the air while
    teleporting, and so I don't have trouble. I can well imagine
    getting bogged down trying to teleport around near the ground.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    I may have smoked too much weed, but I wasn't taking drugs or

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:08:45 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

    >Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
    >of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >
    >>In article <ndbg311f1lprqqat3s2a1j5n28qo8auqga@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    >>> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    >>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
    >>> say:

    >>On Air Superiority:

    >>> You won't regret it.
    >>>
    >>> It has only two real downsides.
    >>> 1. It's smashing only.
    >>> 2. It's (I think) the only attack in existence that can't be
    >>> slotted with a recharge reducer, making hasten the only way to
    >>> speed it's cycling.
    >>
    >>I didn't know that. Interesting!
    >
    >I can even see the reason for it too, since it's almost TOO good as it
    >is. If you could shove a few rechargers in it you could bring it's
    >cycle time down so you could cycle _just_it_ continuously and keep a
    >baddie permanently out of action.

    It's tempting fate to say this, but that's exactly what I did with
    Focus. It's 6-slotted, with 3 Accuracy and 3 Recharge, and permanently
    on autofire. It would be quite possible for me to just target any single
    enemy and go away and leave the PC to finish the job.

    >The low damage you'd do wouldn't be as much of a concern if you had the
    >end to go long enough and did enough damage to kill it eventually.
    >Bring a friend along with good damage and it's even less of a concern.

    There are a few differences between AS and Focus. It's a Claw power, not
    a pool power. I suspect its damage may be higher than AS, though I don't
    really know. It has range, so you can stop runners with it, but its
    knockdown is apparently not quite as good as AS's. Just recently, since
    L33 or so, I've found a few enemies who seem to resist the knockdown,
    the most annoying of which are Devoured. It's usually only the +2-3
    Bosses, though.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:27:41 +1100, Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:08:45 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

    >>I can even see the reason for it too, since it's almost TOO good as it
    >>is. If you could shove a few rechargers in it you could bring it's
    >>cycle time down so you could cycle _just_it_ continuously and keep a
    >>baddie permanently out of action.
    >
    >It's tempting fate to say this, but that's exactly what I did with
    >Focus. It's 6-slotted, with 3 Accuracy and 3 Recharge, and permanently
    >on autofire. It would be quite possible for me to just target any single
    >enemy and go away and leave the PC to finish the job.
    >
    >>The low damage you'd do wouldn't be as much of a concern if you had the
    >>end to go long enough and did enough damage to kill it eventually.
    >>Bring a friend along with good damage and it's even less of a concern.
    >
    >There are a few differences between AS and Focus. It's a Claw power, not
    >a pool power. I suspect its damage may be higher than AS, though I don't
    >really know. It has range, so you can stop runners with it, but its
    >knockdown is apparently not quite as good as AS's. Just recently, since
    >L33 or so, I've found a few enemies who seem to resist the knockdown,
    >the most annoying of which are Devoured. It's usually only the +2-3
    >Bosses, though.

    One other difference I forgot to mention - It's missing the anti-air
    component, so Rikti Drones are a pain. They don't really do enough
    damage to be a major threat, though.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
    > One other difference I forgot to mention - It's missing the anti-air
    > component, so Rikti Drones are a pain. They don't really do enough
    > damage to be a major threat, though.

    I love the "p-too!" sound of their firing. "Aw, jeez, I'm being spit at
    again..."

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 26 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

World Of Warcraft Games Windows XP Video Games