pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Hi

I set up a wireless network for the 3 pcs at my home and all is well. Very satisfied, so far.

My question is: Can i use the pc with the DVD player to watch a movie at one of the other pcs that do not have DVD players? How will this work? Must there be a DVD decoder vid card on the sys i am watching from? I have a feeling it's yes.

NEW SIG: <pre>[i love my cat]</pre><p>

dhlucke

Polypheme
First thing is first. Do you have a, b, or g? You'll need at least g to stream video from what I understand. The PC playing it should be the one decoding it so consider this just a steaming video issue. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
It's possible, but not recommendable due to the sheer size of a DVD movie, but ...

The easiest way to achieve this is to share your DVD player on the pc that has it (right click > properties > sharing, assuming windows), install DVD software (WinDVD, InDVD etc.) on the other machine and then just find the dvd player in network neighborhood. There should be some caching options in the player software and you should set this to "highest" or whatever it says as you are transferring a *very* large file. It will probably take at least an hour to cache before it plays, and make sure that you have a lot of free space.

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|