asanders318

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
I'm running at stock settings right now and would like to overclock. My memory is G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800. Antec trio 650w ps, evga geforce8600 gt graphics card. If you can give me some info on the settings I should change in bios it would be appreciated. I've never overclocked before but I bought this board to learn. I'd also like some info on some free programs that will help me test my settings to make sure it's stable. Thanks in advance.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
If you don't understand the basics and the theories about why and how overclocking works you will not be real successful. Just plugging in someone elses numbers is dangerous. Here is a guide on the basics of overclocking that will help you understand the theory. It is a little dated socket -wise but the theories hold regardless. I recommend you read that a couple of times and then start asking questions and reading some more advanced guides. http://asustech.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=622

asanders318

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Hi Merc, thanks for your advice. I have been reading up on overclocking and have read your posts on the overclockers.com forum. I am getting an understanding of everything it's just what exaclty I need to change in the bios, I know some things are better left on auto.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Basic setup guide for the Striker boards by Naughty at Xtremesystems with some modifications by me for the Plus board and e4300 for the e4300 that I ran at 3204Mhz on the P5N32-E SLI Plus. YMMV and your CPU may be better or worse but these numbers worked for a stable 3204 overclock:

AI Tuning: Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex: Disabled
LinkBoost: Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: linked
x FSB - Memory Raio: 3:2
FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1424 (means 356FSB)
Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1424
MEM (DDR), Mhz: 950 (means 475mhz speeds)
Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz: 950MHz

Vcore Voltage: 1.525 set (1.525v bios/1.49v windows idle/1.52v windows load)
Memory Voltage: 2.300v
1.2v HT Voltage: 1.4v
NB Core Voltage: 1.55v
SB Core Voltage: 1.55v
CPU VTT Voltage: 1.5v

tCL (CAS Latency): 4
tRCD: 4
tRP: 4
tRAS: 12
Command Per Clock (CMD): 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings
tRRD: AUTO
tRC: AUTO
tWR: AUTO
tWTR: AUTO
tREF: AUTO
Async Latency: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled
LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E): Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled
LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 101
PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 101
PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 101
SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 200

Notes:
1. LDT Frequency and SPP<->MCP Ref Clock are linked so just keep them at 5x 200.
2. My RAM overclocked very well. If yours is not as good then set the memory to unlinked and 800MHZ and just push the CPU for now. When that is stable you can play with the RAM.
3. I have a long build log on my curent rig but the relevant parts may be helpful to you. The Plus board and an e4300. Check it out here http://asustech.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=2504&st=130

You may need to join to see the whole thing but no one will spam you or or other such things from that site so now woried there.

asanders318

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Hey Merc, before I start playing around with numbers I want to make sure I have the proper programs to test everything. I'm running windows vista, I was wondering if prime95 runs in vista and if not what I should use. I also know that asus probe II doesn't run and am looking for a reliable program to monitor temp and I also saw that cpu z wasn't very reliable. I'd appreciate any suggestions on some programs and prefer free if possible to run under vista.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
First, realize that I hit 3200MHz on watercooling. Air cooling may limit you at the top end. Depends on your cooler, the ventilation in your case and the air temperature in the room you are working in.

I think there is now a Probe II for Vista, check the Asus downloads site. Coretemp is very good, just realize that it show Core temperatures so they may be higher than you are used to seeing. I recommend Orthos for stress testing. It runs two instances of prime 95 with a nice interface. available here http://sp2004.fre3.com/download.htm I really like Everest Ultimate. It has a great scren display that is fully adjustable and can monitior jjst about any temp you want, in any color font or size and is easily moved around the desktop. It is $50 however. You can see it on my desktop in that build log. The latest version is Vista ready.