Quake 1 questions

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

1) Is there a complete list of console commands on the Internet somewhere?
None of ID's documentation seems to have any. Using WinQuake 1.09.

2) How do I permanantly get a crosshairs at the centre of the screen at
startup?
I don't even know the relevant console command. I tried the obvious console
commands but nothing worked. I know it is possible to get a crosshairs as I
have done it before, I just can't remember the command.

3) On starting GLQuake, I get message about a missing DLL: Glide2 or
something. Where can I download that?

Cheers

Stephen Howe

bejo

"Stephen Howe" <stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:408d2a39$0$19429$ed9e5944@reading.news.pipex.net...
> 1) Is there a complete list of console commands on the Internet somewhere?
> None of ID's documentation seems to have any. Using WinQuake 1.09.

Write quake 3 console in google to find it...

> 2) How do I permanantly get a crosshairs at the centre of the screen at
> startup?
> I don't even know the relevant console command. I tried the obvious
console
> commands but nothing worked. I know it is possible to get a crosshairs as
> have done it before, I just can't remember the command.

In the option menu.... lol

> 3) On starting GLQuake, I get message about a missing DLL: Glide2 or
> something. Where can I download that?

In the cd of quake u must install the openGL driver...

> Cheers
>
> Stephen Howe

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

> > 1) Is there a complete list of console commands on the Internet
somewhere?
> > None of ID's documentation seems to have any. Using WinQuake 1.09.
> >

> Write quake 3 console in google to find it...

I have found it
http://www.neophi.com/home/danielr/quake/console-all.html

> > have done it before, I just can't remember the command.
>
> In the option menu.... lol

No it is not. I have checked twice. I am talking about WinQuake 1.09
(version 1 of Quake).
"crosshair 1" from console does this and placing in autoexec.cfg ensures it
is set at startup.

> In the cd of quake u must install the openGL driver...

Nope. Deleting or renaming Opengl32.dll is the right thing to do.

Stephen Howe

bejo

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

sorry man... i think u're talking about quake 3!!!!

real sorry!!!!

"Stephen Howe" <stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:408d4801$0$19429$ed9e5944@reading.news.pipex.net...
> > > 1) Is there a complete list of console commands on the Internet
> somewhere?
> > > None of ID's documentation seems to have any. Using WinQuake 1.09.
> > >

> > Write quake 3 console in google to find it...
>
> I have found it
> http://www.neophi.com/home/danielr/quake/console-all.html
>
> > > have done it before, I just can't remember the command.
> >
> > In the option menu.... lol
>
> No it is not. I have checked twice. I am talking about WinQuake 1.09
> (version 1 of Quake).
> "crosshair 1" from console does this and placing in autoexec.cfg ensures
it
> is set at startup.
>
> > In the cd of quake u must install the openGL driver...
>
> Nope. Deleting or renaming Opengl32.dll is the right thing to do.
>
> Stephen Howe

PH

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:15:32 GMT, "BeJo" <bejjo@supereva.it> wrote:

>sorry man... i think u're talking about quake 3!!!!
>
>real sorry!!!!

Perfectly honest mistake. Hey, it's not like he specified *which*
Quake he had questions about, like in the sub... ject... Oh. Never
mind.
;)

Jeff

http://www.jefftturner.com

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

> No it is not. I have checked twice. I am talking about WinQuake 1.09
> (version 1 of Quake).
> "crosshair 1" from console does this and placing in autoexec.cfg ensures
it
> is set at startup.

Well I was wrong about that. WinQuake saved the setting automatically in its
own CFG file (which is great)

> Nope. Deleting or renaming Opengl32.dll is the right thing to do.

Which is still not working. I understand this advice now.
The idea is you get GLQuake to use the latest Opengl32.dll that comes with
the version of Windows and your video card rather than Quake's version of
Opengl32.dll which is ancient (and probably does not work).

However GLQuake does not start, it just bombs out without any reason why. Ho
hum, time to Google and search back messages on this. Also time to see if I
can turn on commandline switch to GLQuake to display debug messages which
might give me a clue as to what the problem is. Could be sound or networking
I suppose.

Stephen Howe

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:05:41 +0100, "Stephen Howe"
<stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> wrote:

>However GLQuake does not start, it just bombs out without any reason why. Ho
>hum, time to Google and search back messages on this. Also time to see if I
>can turn on commandline switch to GLQuake to display debug messages which
>might give me a clue as to what the problem is. Could be sound or networking
>I suppose.

There's probably another reason why GLQuake is failing to start. GLQuake
does have problems that are more or less obscure, but they still exist.

In any case, you might want to search for Quake Source ports. A few links
to get you started:
http://www.quakesrc.org/ : Quake Standard Group.
http://www.quakesrc.org/?Page=links

"BeJo" <bejjo@supereva.it> wrote in message
> sorry man... i think u're talking about quake 3!!!!
>
> real sorry!!!!

Thats okay.

With Quake 3 questions I would post to alt.games.quake3
With Quake 2 questions I would post to alt.games.quake2

With Quake 1 questions I assumed that alt.games.quake is the right choice
because at the time when "alt.games.quake" was created, no one knew if ID
would ever create Quake 2.

Still got some questions (on Quake 1 that is).

Cheers

Stephen Howe

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:05:41 +0100, "Stephen Howe"
> <stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> wrote:
>
> >However GLQuake does not start, it just bombs out without any reason why.
Ho
> >hum, time to Google and search back messages on this. Also time to see if
> >can turn on commandline switch to GLQuake to display debug messages which
> >might give me a clue as to what the problem is. Could be sound or
networking
> >I suppose.
>
> There's probably another reason why GLQuake is failing to start. GLQuake
> does have problems that are more or less obscure, but they still exist.
>
> In any case, you might want to search for Quake Source ports. A few links
> to get you started:
> http://www.quakesrc.org/ : Quake Standard Group.
> http://www.quakesrc.org/?Page=links

Probably the best one to start with is FuhQuake (http://www.fuhquake.net/)
which is also found in the excellent eQuake package
(http://equake.quakeworld.nu) which also includes a bunch of other very
useful utilities etc.

Like most modern QuakeWorld replacements, FuhQuake allows you to play single
player in the same game engine as used for QuakeWorld. It doesn't support
normal Quake networking (which I doubt you would truly miss), or playback of
normal Quake demos (which you might, if you try to watch a Quake done Quick
runthrough, for instance).

Stephen Howe wrote:
>>> 1) Is there a complete list of console commands on the Internet
>>> somewhere? None of ID's documentation seems to have any. Using
>>> WinQuake 1.09.
>>>

>> Write quake 3 console in google to find it...
>
> I have found it
> http://www.neophi.com/home/danielr/quake/console-all.html
>
>>> have done it before, I just can't remember the command.
>>
>> In the option menu.... lol
>
> No it is not. I have checked twice. I am talking about WinQuake 1.09
> (version 1 of Quake).
> "crosshair 1" from console does this and placing in autoexec.cfg
> ensures it is set at startup.
>
>> In the cd of quake u must install the openGL driver...
>
> Nope. Deleting or renaming Opengl32.dll is the right thing to do.
>
> Stephen Howe
That's right, you must use the Opengl32.dll that your video cards driver
installs, you can copy it from the windows system folder if the game
doesn't work right.

TRENDING THREADS