Quake 1 PAK files

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

Hi

For Doom2, there were a number of great quality 32-level user WAD files (not
forgetting Plutonia and TNT which were official ID)
I am thinking of

Eternal
Icarus
Memento Mori 1
Memento Mori 2
Requiem
Hell Revealed
Alien Vendetta

For Quake 1, there were the official "Source of Armagon" and "Dissolution of
Eternity" (which I have played). Are there any recommended user PAK files
for Quake 1? Any URLs for a recommended list?

Thanks

Stephen Howe

"Stephen Howe" <stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> For Doom2, there were a number of great quality 32-level user WAD files
(not
> forgetting Plutonia and TNT which were official ID)
> I am thinking of
>
> Eternal
> Icarus
> Memento Mori 1
> Memento Mori 2
> Requiem
> Hell Revealed
> Alien Vendetta
>
> For Quake 1, there were the official "Source of Armagon" and "Dissolution
of
> Eternity" (which I have played). Are there any recommended user PAK files
> for Quake 1? Any URLs for a recommended list?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen Howe

Hi Stephen,
This ought to get you started:

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/

http://www.quaketerminus.com/
Check out the Downloads/Mods area
Nehahra is excellent

http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames2/levels/

G.

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

"Stephen Howe" <stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> For Doom2, there were a number of great quality 32-level user WAD files
(not
> forgetting Plutonia and TNT which were official ID)
> I am thinking of
>
> Eternal
> Icarus
> Memento Mori 1
> Memento Mori 2
> Requiem
> Hell Revealed
> Alien Vendetta
>
> For Quake 1, there were the official "Source of Armagon" and "Dissolution
of
> Eternity" (which I have played). Are there any recommended user PAK files
> for Quake 1? Any URLs for a recommended list?

I am more familiar with multiplayer (deathmatch) maps, for which a great
place to start is:
http://www.planetquake.com/peek/

Also check:
http://www.planetquake.com/gonzomatic/
and:
http://www.planetquake.com/gonzo/

These sites follow in the lead of now-defunct sites like Ramshackle and the
Deathmatch Pineapple, only reviewing really great DM maps (as opposed to
sites that review - and often give high ratings to - every piece of junk
that lands on their hard drive, many of which could be confused with
Aardappel's "Maps from hell" at http://wouter.fov120.com/maps/index.html)

A much more complete source (minus reviews) is:
ftp://gibbage.mine.nu/maps/individual/

For single player, look here:
http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler/
and here:
http://www.planetquake.com/spq2/quake1/
This one's not been updated in a while, but still has some of the best
classic single-player levels and conversions.

Other commercial total conversions to look out for include Quantum Axcess's
Shrak (http://www.shrak.com/shrak.html) and particularly Malice (review:
http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=malic). There was also a
commercial X-men game based on Quake, which I never tried.

Another avenue to exploring Quake includes some extremely impressive demos
(films/recordings of gameplay).

For multiplayer, a good place to start for classic DM (1v1 or teamplay)
demos is Methos Quake: http://www.methosq.com/
For a much fuller selection of demos through the present time (with more
being added continuously, mostly from Europe and elsewhere that Quake is
still played actively), see http://www.challenge-tv.com/

For mind-blowing single-player demos, go to http://www.planetquake.com/qdq/
(and also http://www.planetquake.com/sda/)

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

> Hi Stephen,
> This ought to get you started:
>
> http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/
>
> http://www.quaketerminus.com/
> Check out the Downloads/Mods area
> Nehahra is excellent
>
> http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames2/levels/

Thanks George, I will check those out.

Stephen

Baked

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:58:57 +0100, "Stephen Howe"
<stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> wrote:

>For Quake 1, there were the official "Source of Armagon" and "Dissolution of
>Eternity" (which I have played). Are there any recommended user PAK files
>for Quake 1? Any URLs for a recommended list?

If you have lan handy grab Painkeep from
http://www.planetquake.com/teamevolve/products/painkeep/index.html (multiplayer
only but tons of fun).