Quake 1 PAK files

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

Hi

For Doom2, there were a number of great quality 32-level user WAD files (not
forgetting Plutonia and TNT which were official ID)
I am thinking of

Eternal
Icarus
Memento Mori 1
Memento Mori 2
Requiem
Hell Revealed
Alien Vendetta

For Quake 1, there were the official "Source of Armagon" and "Dissolution of
Eternity" (which I have played). Are there any recommended user PAK files
for Quake 1? Any URLs for a recommended list?

Thanks

Stephen Howe
4 answers Last reply
More about quake files
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Stephen Howe" <stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > For Doom2, there were a number of great quality 32-level user WAD files
    (not
    > forgetting Plutonia and TNT which were official ID)
    > I am thinking of
    >
    > Eternal
    > Icarus
    > Memento Mori 1
    > Memento Mori 2
    > Requiem
    > Hell Revealed
    > Alien Vendetta
    >
    > For Quake 1, there were the official "Source of Armagon" and "Dissolution
    of
    > Eternity" (which I have played). Are there any recommended user PAK files
    > for Quake 1? Any URLs for a recommended list?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stephen Howe

    Hi Stephen,
    This ought to get you started:

    http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/

    http://www.quaketerminus.com/
    Check out the Downloads/Mods area
    Nehahra is excellent

    http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames2/levels/

    G.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Stephen Howe" <stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > For Doom2, there were a number of great quality 32-level user WAD files
    (not
    > forgetting Plutonia and TNT which were official ID)
    > I am thinking of
    >
    > Eternal
    > Icarus
    > Memento Mori 1
    > Memento Mori 2
    > Requiem
    > Hell Revealed
    > Alien Vendetta
    >
    > For Quake 1, there were the official "Source of Armagon" and "Dissolution
    of
    > Eternity" (which I have played). Are there any recommended user PAK files
    > for Quake 1? Any URLs for a recommended list?

    I am more familiar with multiplayer (deathmatch) maps, for which a great
    place to start is:
    http://www.planetquake.com/peek/

    Also check:
    http://www.planetquake.com/gonzomatic/
    and:
    http://www.planetquake.com/gonzo/

    These sites follow in the lead of now-defunct sites like Ramshackle and the
    Deathmatch Pineapple, only reviewing really great DM maps (as opposed to
    sites that review - and often give high ratings to - every piece of junk
    that lands on their hard drive, many of which could be confused with
    Aardappel's "Maps from hell" at http://wouter.fov120.com/maps/index.html)

    A much more complete source (minus reviews) is:
    ftp://gibbage.mine.nu/maps/individual/

    For single player, look here:
    http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler/
    and here:
    http://www.planetquake.com/spq2/quake1/
    This one's not been updated in a while, but still has some of the best
    classic single-player levels and conversions.

    Other commercial total conversions to look out for include Quantum Axcess's
    Shrak (http://www.shrak.com/shrak.html) and particularly Malice (review:
    http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=malic). There was also a
    commercial X-men game based on Quake, which I never tried.

    Another avenue to exploring Quake includes some extremely impressive demos
    (films/recordings of gameplay).

    For multiplayer, a good place to start for classic DM (1v1 or teamplay)
    demos is Methos Quake: http://www.methosq.com/
    For a much fuller selection of demos through the present time (with more
    being added continuously, mostly from Europe and elsewhere that Quake is
    still played actively), see http://www.challenge-tv.com/

    For mind-blowing single-player demos, go to http://www.planetquake.com/qdq/
    (and also http://www.planetquake.com/sda/)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    > Hi Stephen,
    > This ought to get you started:
    >
    > http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/
    >
    > http://www.quaketerminus.com/
    > Check out the Downloads/Mods area
    > Nehahra is excellent
    >
    > http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames2/levels/

    Thanks George, I will check those out.

    Stephen
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:58:57 +0100, "Stephen Howe"
    <stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> wrote:

    >For Quake 1, there were the official "Source of Armagon" and "Dissolution of
    >Eternity" (which I have played). Are there any recommended user PAK files
    >for Quake 1? Any URLs for a recommended list?

    If you have lan handy grab Painkeep from
    http://www.planetquake.com/teamevolve/products/painkeep/index.html (multiplayer
    only but tons of fun).

Eternity Games Video Games