Yeah... Is it worth it?

Shadowen925

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Im looking at buying an EVGA 8800GTX card. What it looks like to me is that there is the "regular" card the "superclocked" card and the "KO" card. Would some one be so kind as to pointing out the differnaces for me and if the "KO" card is worth the extra hundred bucks...

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Regular is just that, you could overclock it yourself.

Overclocked is overclocked from the factory, so you keep the warranty, but usually there isn't much to be gained if you want to squeze a little extra out of it.

The Ultra is made from only the best chips, from nVidia, why they can clock higher than the regular/overclocked cards.

tiger131

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I would buy the cheapest GTX from a name brand. I really dont think it's worth the extra $50-100 for oced versions. Specially when you're going top of the line, that card is rather overkill for 95% of games anyways. Some OC versions do come with quieter hs/fan tho. Up to you really tho

MonocleCat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
The "KO" version from EVGA supposedly has a special cooler on it and it is a bit overclocked. The superclocked version is just an overclocked regular version (not worth it, EVGA warranty covers end user overclocking anyway). The GTX Ultra is another overclocked gtx with supposedly better chips... It's certianly not worth the extra ~$300 they are charging for it. It's for bragging rights more than anything.

In my opinion, the regular gtx is the best choice. If you want to overclock it you can, and if you want to use a different cooling arrangement, you can try that as well (just don't break the card, that WILL void the warranty:p).

MonocleCat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
This is true. They also let you add aftermarket cooling like water blocks as well. As long as there is no physical damage to the card (burning, broken in half, etc), and you didn't throw out the original cooling situation, they will honor the warranty.