jrose

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I recently blew up my pc, which was on its last legs anyway, so I thought I would take this as a chance to upgrade my whole pc. I'm a student, so I had to budget and cut it as cheap as I could get, though I aimed toward being able to run vista reasonably well. The specs of my new system are now:

Mobo: ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.86ghz
RAM: Kingston 2GB (2X1GB) DDR2 667MHz Dual Channel
Monitor: Samsung SM920NW 19" Widescreen TFT
Graphics: Xpertvision 8500GT Sonic edition 256MB DDR3 (core 600mhz)
HDD: (from old rig) Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB 7200RPM

I am also using Vista Basic (oem from ebuyer), I did my research on the different versions and it seemed like a wise choice, as i wasnt bothered by areo gui and the rest of the features about premium seemed unnecessary to me. My problem is that the disply on my monitor is awful. I have the latest nvidia and samsung drivers but the display looks washed out, overbright, and really really grainy. None of the resolutions seem to fit properly either, even the native 1440x900 looks stretched and mishapen. The overall quality of my display is worse than my old CRT and XP.

I havn't been able to find any information out about this monitor on the net anyone else's personal experience with it to find out whether this is just a bad monitor or not, or if the problem is actually just in using Home Basic. Would Basic make my display so bad?
I would really appreciate some advice on this and whether, if Basic is the problem, I am definately a total idiot for buying Basic. The worse thing is, to upgrade to premium now would cost me another 60 quid. ARGH! I hate Microsoft.

Solution
its not vista, its a driver issue.
I am having same problem with xp on 19 wide samsung.
I think it is the exact same monitor, numbers look right but its at home

Vista works, home basic
xp worked until I installed a new driver. radeon x800
I had to reinstall xp to correct it.

the newest driver may not be best. Hopefully someone else here will help, but I would try to find more out about graphic drivers from the manufacturer.

frenchsquared

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
its not vista, its a driver issue.
I am having same problem with xp on 19 wide samsung.
I think it is the exact same monitor, numbers look right but its at home

Vista works, home basic
xp worked until I installed a new driver. radeon x800
I had to reinstall xp to correct it.

the newest driver may not be best. Hopefully someone else here will help, but I would try to find more out about graphic drivers from the manufacturer.

Solution