Raptor X 150gb makes a ticking noise

laxhockey9

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
Just as the subject states, I installed it yesterday, and it makes a ticking noise. Does anyone else get this noise? I heard they were noisy, but a ticking noise??

laxhockey9

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
I think maybe it corresponds to the drive head moving, not entirely sure. I am probably going to buy some noise suppressing materials for the inside of my Antec 900 case, see if that will take away some of the noise :)

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Usually, a drive that makes a distinct ticking or clicking noise is a defective drive. You should visit WD web site and download the diag software and run it on your drive. If it finds an error with your drive it will give you a code and you can rma the drive.
Hope this helps.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
It's normal. They click not tick. :p A tick is a bug with a hard exoskeleton...

No actually they are loud, they make that tick sound when the head moves. If it's going bad you can usually tell. If it doesn't give you a SMART error then I doubt it's abnormal. Just keep a head's up, most drives that fail prematurely fail within the first month, but sometimes take up to 3 months.

laxhockey9

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
OK, well either way I have some leftover dynamat for my car, I will just lay that on the inside of the panels and hopefully take away some of the noise :p

scubageek

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I think maybe it corresponds to the drive head moving, not entirely sure. I am probably going to buy some noise suppressing materials for the inside of my Antec 900 case, see if that will take away some of the noise :)

I have a 74gig Raptor and the 150 Raptor X in an antec 900 case next to my monitor, less dirt from the carpet this way getting into my new case, but I can honestly say, i don't hear the drive that much, unless I am doing a lot of read/writes to the hard drive.

If you are hearing a ticking/clicking sound, use the WD diagnostic software to test it. If it doesn't show anything wrong, I would monitor it for a month or two, just to make sure.

My Antec 900 case isn't that loud, maybe I just used to the loud noise from my other case, that makes the Antec seem very quiet. Don't know.

I do know, my 150gig Raptor X doesn't make a clicking/ticking sound, unless I am doing read/writes, and then, in the new antec case, it isn't that loud.