Power-up via mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riccardo

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
I've just started using a new machine with Vista Home Premium, and have noticed that once I shut down the computer (not sleep, or hibernate, or whatever - 'shut down'), I can turn it back on by clicking the mouse (it's a standard PS/2 wheel mouse). Hitting a key on the keyboard, or moving the mouse around, does nothing; but clicking the mouse appears to do exactly the same as hitting the big 'power' button on the front of my case, i.e. turns on the PC.

Can someone tell me if this is an intentional feature, or if it's a screw-up somewhere (and if so, is it in the build, or the software, or what?)? And if it's an intentional feature, is there a way to turn it off?

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
It's in the BIOS power settings. You can set it to turn on your computer with the mouse or keyboard instead of just the power button... or you can disable the feature altogether.

Riccardo

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

I have a tangential question, if you (or anyone else) wouldn't mind helping out. Clicking on the 'Power' symbol to put the computer into sleep mode appears to work as it should - screen goes blank, machine gets quieter, etc. - but the machine refuses to start up again. Hitting the main power button on the case, clicking the mouse, hitting keys - nothing seems to make it wake up. Twice now I've been forced to use the hard-reset button because there was no other course of action I could think of.

Am I missing something obvious, or is this a known bug, or is it something in the BIOS, or what? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

frenchsquared

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
you might want to start a new post people may overlook the mouse question.

Yes, it is a common problem although one i currently havent experience. I have seen many people ask about it though.

good luck, someone will know the answer, sorry i dont remember the fix.

Riccardo

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
Thanks for the help guys.

Having searched around a bit more, I've definitely found that the 'sleep' issue is something plenty of other people have had problems with as well, so at least I'm not alone. The mouse thing on the other hand, I couldn't find any help on until I asked here.

Thanks again (I'll probably be back to ask more dumb questions once I've spent more time with Vista... ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.